Cheapy Mixers!!!

BHead

Anyone's help is appreciated! :)

I'm looking for a cheap mixer but don't know which one I should go for. NADY and Behringer are two cheaper mixers I saw on MusiciansFriend. Are they OK or do they suck?

Primarily I use it for recording live drums on my BR-8, which has only 2 inputs.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

I think a lot of people are getting sick of my "why you shouldn't buy a behringer mixer" posts. Just do a search for behringer mixer.

I´m just woundering if it has something to do with the 2:nd world war that you americans can´t stand the Behringer brand????

Actually, I think the name itself is cool enough... just most of the gear's innards is crap.

Personally, for me, it has nothing to do with the nationality............

Bruce

Even though Behringer mixers are critisized in this BBS. I would buy them and avoid the nady like the plauge. You may find PHONIC and Samson and ask about that too because they are cheap. Stay away from phonic and samson as well You will be better off with the behringers than the phonic, samsons or the nadys anyday.

i saw a phonic similar to the behringer 602 for the same price but it had 2 more mic pres. (total of 4) That means that those pre's probably cost 1/2 as much and sound twice as terrible. I'd say I'd probably take the behringer over the "phonic" as well :)

Here we go again!!!!!!! This time though, i'm a little pissed off. When are all you "big shots" gonna learn that some of us cant afford the extra money for a Mackie and the Behringer is a cheaper and for the money good alternative??

I keep reading that the mic pre's are no good..........true they are not as clean as the Mackies and a little noisier, but only at high gains!!!!!!!!!!

I also consistently read that Behringer mixers are problematic and break down.............BULL*%^#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I own two MX9000's and have never had a single problem with either one!!!!!!!! For critical micing applications, I use outboard mic pre's so really, who cares about the pre's in the board????????

I always see posts of people looking for a good starter 24 channel board. When are you guys gonna learn?????????? The Berhinger is $2000 less then the Mackie, meter bridge included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of you guys that slam Behringer as a way of life, have ever actually owned one or taken the time to seriously put one to the test?????????????????

hmmmmmmmmm..................................

If I had bought the Mackie instead of the Behringer when I made my first choice, I would be waiting another two years to get my Soundcraft, but you know what?? I'm getting my Ghost in a few weeks because the Behringers made me enough money to pay for themselves and do it a year and a have sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for letting me vent!!!

I'm a Bigshot?

LOL.

Dude if you only knew.

I have had my studio for 5 (count them) 5 months. (well 9 months if you count using an sm58 and a sblive)

It's in my apartment.

I have recorded 2 bands, and the stuff that I've done for my own music.

SO yeah....that qualifies me as a certified big shot. So watch out! I have the backstreet boys in here next week.

Your comment: "How many of you guys that slam Behringer as a way of life, have ever actually owned one or taken the time to seriously put one to the test????????????????? "

Yes I have....I bought an mx2004. I used it for 3 weeks, and in my state of infancy as a beginner I was able to hear the difference. It was a Distant second behind an old powered yamaha mixer (for live use) So I returned it. Buying the mixer cost me $40 in shipping to return it. Before I bought it I looked in here to find some info and found none.

So yes, when people ask about them, I'm going to tell people they suck. I wish someone had told me that.

nuss,
Im not even going there....he asked "are they ok or do they suck?" and people gave him an honest answer......

BHead,
why exactly do u need a mixer....that BR8 only records 2 tracks at once.....so Im assuming the mic1 and mic2 inputs already have preamps?....if so, get you a used Art Tube MP for a third mic and go into the line in....how many mics and what kind do u wanna mic the kit with?.....

I dont actually dislike the Behringer mixer Ive got in fact I have a tascam that Im considering selling and keeping the behringer.I use it as a midi mixer and it does a top notch job for that, no problems at all.;)

I believe the Behringer mixers are a good value for the money.

Are they as well built as Mackies? Unlikely, but they cost about a third as much. I've had my 802 for two years and have not had a problem.

Are the mic pres as good as Mackies? Not quite, but they are close, and they cost about a third as much.

Are Mackie mic pres "all the shit" anyway? No. Not by most people's standards.

Would I rather have a Mackie? Yes, but not for $250 more.

By buying a Behringer instead of a Mackie I was able to start recording at least a year earlier (because I could not afford $380 at the time).

The $250 I saved is currently a large part of $400+ I now have saved for a "real" pre in the Davisound TB-6, Meek VC1Q, Mindprint Envoice, Presonus MP 20, Grace 101 category.

Nuss

Hey Nuss.

What Mackie 24 channel is $2000.00 more than a Behringer ? I have a Mackie 24x4x1 board and it was way less than $2000.00.
Maybe I'm the cheap bastard. Are you talking about a 8 sub board?

Anyway I wouldn't know about Behringer quality. Never had one.
These guys don't seem to like them though.

I would love a high line yamaha or something but I can't afford one.

I have a freind who was a pro sound man for the romantics and he ranks on my mackie at times. The sound is not as good as some I agree but the versatility is there for the price.

Anyway the mackies and the behringer have always been a couple bucks apart at most from what I've seen.?.?.?

Oh just to inform I have had my mackie board for 4 or 5 years. You know the board. the sr-24-4 for $1350.00 or so. I have yet to have problem. That is all I can tell you.

If you want a vote put up a questionair with choices like this.

1 mackie board, no problems
2 mackie board, problems
3 behringer board, no problems
4 behringer board , problems

Fruedian Slip:

The Mackie you have is the 24-4, primarily but not limited to a live board.

My Behringers are the MX9000's:

48/24 Channel Dual Input 8-Bus Mixing Consoles equivalent to the Mackie 24-8-2 recording board.

When I was looking for the first one, I was able to bring home both boards and try them both out. Dont get me wrong, the Mackie was the superior board but dollar for dollar the Behringer was a much better value and by buying the Berh, I was also able to get a Yamaha SPX990 and a PreSonus MP20 mic pre. Two huge reasons why I went with the Behringer.

The pricing I am quoting you is from two years ago in Canadian funds........at that time, they wanted $3499 for the Mackie plus $899 for the meterbridge. Total:$4398

My Behringer was $3299 and the meterbridge is incorporated into the board design.

I am not trying to piss anybody off but I'm just tired of seeing so many posts ie....I have a small budget, suggest a mixer...........average response: wait and save your money and buy a mackie cause Behringer is garbage....................well, DONT WAIT!!!!!!!!! We all have to start somewhere and all that does to potential home recordists who want to get up and running so they can learn is frustrate the hell out of them.

My main concern is most of the people (not all as I learned above) that bitch have never had the opportunity to try them side by side the way I did.

One main point for everyone to bear in mind: Mackie and Behringer are involved in a substantial law suit as Mackie feels that Behringer has stolen a patented design. Well I guess Mackie would drop that suit in a hurry if their lawyers read some of these Behringer slams cause they would realize they didnt have a leg to stand on!!

Now, the Behringer and the mackie are almost identical in every aspect right down to the layout so the suit stands.

As I mentioned above and will always confess to....the Mackie had the better pre's, quieter at high gains without as much noise. As I also mentioned, any critical micing application, anyone would go thru an outboard pre!!!!

Bottom line: at the time and for a lot of other people, the Behringer was the best bang for my buck and I wouldnt change my decision if I could

I like your idea about the poll but I would be afraid of too many people falsly responding to it.

Anyhow, i feel like im ranting again and i apologize.

On a side note, your mackie SR24 is a cool board!! I have equipped two clubs here in Vancouver with those boards and they have been extremely reliable!!

Anyhow all......Cheers!!!!!

Sorry all...................

I think tdukex hit my main point home!!!!!!!

By buying a Behringer, he was able to start recording at least a year earlier!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to wait, they want to get going so they can learn and have fun.

By telling people to wait and save up another (in the case of 24 channel boards) $1000-$2000, we are defeating the purpose of trying to help these people get up and running quickly.

nuss...it's all good.

The only thing I would like to say is that nobody said buy a mackie over the behringer. You were the first one to say that. The first thing I said was "do a search on here for behringer".

Honestly, I didn't really like the mackie vlz pro pres either. They we're nice...I'd still like to have a good external pre.

The thing is that if you understand that for vocals and critical stuff that you really need to ALSO buy an external mic pre and buget for that, then you're set.

I guess I'll adjust my behringer bashing to say:
"Don't use it for anything really important"

Jk man. :)

I dont know about that though. I can afford to aquire the behringer eurodesk for 2000.00 and the new makie 24 track for 2000.00 that is a good value for a system that the eqiivlent mackie is like 8000.00 alone.

I have been seeing alan heaths for 700.00 used. so maybe ill go that way.

Phonic has a 24 channel recording board for 800.00 Why isnt everyone trashing it. It does suck You know.

Back