Cheap But Good Acoustic Guitar Recomendations?

...but if anyone happens to find a Takamine for cheap, hit me up. All the ones I've played were super expensive...and sounded like it

...but if anyone happens to find a Takamine for cheap, hit me up. All the ones I've played were super expensive...and sounded like it

I just gave mine to a neighbour. Beaten up, bridge lifting, and 25+ years old, but I needed to make room in the guitar closet. Still sounded OK, though.

You mean other than to be contrary? :)

But seriously, a reason for recommending is in order. But why stop with A reason? How about five?

1. I have owned four Seagulls, and all of them were good 'uns.
2. Solid tops.
3. Made in a reasonably environmentally responsible manner.
4. I have not read a bad review of them.
5. NOT made in China. (almost enough reason, alone.)

I wasn't being contrary. I meant every word. I better than any know what is available in this country for £150. You will only strike lucky and get a keeper if you go second hand.

The cheapest Seagull you are likely to find here is over £250 ditto most of the other brands listed so far with the exception of Yamaha. The newer ones of those are no where near as good as a second hand 70's or 80's fg340.. In the lower end price bracket for acoustics you really do get what you pay for.

Yeh I know, I just want to be clear. For £150 go second hand and look out for yamaha fg340 circa 1970+

Trust me.;)
All of the old yamaha fg series...from the 1970's were real good. I never buy a new guitar...the best value is used guitars.

Alvarez for sure. I picked up a Master Series M90C used for $500 a year and a half ago. Solid wood throughout, excellent playability, and sounds phenomenal. The electronics leave a lot to be desired though, and actually currently don't work on mine. Not sure why. I'm eventually gonna rig up a ribbon transducer to the onboard preamp.

Alvarez for sure. I picked up a Master Series M90C used for $500 a year and a half ago. Solid wood throughout, excellent playability, and sounds phenomenal. The electronics leave a lot to be desired though, and actually currently don't work on mine. Not sure why. I'm eventually gonna rig up a ribbon transducer to the onboard preamp.

$500 > £150 = £320.

Twice the budget..

The last acoustic I bought was a guild DV52. I paid a grand for it but it is absolutely mint condition and has phenominal projection and tone.
I never paid near that much for a guitar before, but... I see dv52's, in alot worse shape than mine, selling on ebay for $1200 to $1500 on a pretty regular basis.(I got out bid twice on ebay guild dv52's at over a thousand)
Hopefully their prices will continue to increase.

Thats great, now we have contributions at 10X the OP's budget. This could get good... keep em coming..
Well, the 70's red dot yamahas, recording king, alverez, and another brand I can't recall...pretty much covers the used good cheap guitar market.
I think someone interested in quality may be open to doing a little homework, saving up some more money, and buying a high quality used guitar they could get their money back out of if they so chose.
The way I see it is if you're going to keep the guitar for years the initial price isn't as crucial as whether you love the guitar or not.
I realize budget constraints though. The guild busted the hell out of my budget...but im glad i bit the bullet on that one.

Well, the 70's red dot yamahas, recording king, alverez, and another brand I can't recall...pretty much covers the used good cheap guitar market.
I think someone interested in quality may be open to doing a little homework, saving up some more money, and buying a high quality used guitar they could get their money back out of if they so chose.
The way I see it is if you're going to keep the guitar for years the initial price isn't as crucial as whether you love the guitar or not.
I realize budget constraints though. The guild busted the hell out of my budget...but im glad i bit the bullet on that one.

Maybe but that is not what the OP asked. My guess is he doesn't have over a grand to burn...

I had a fender CD60 that sounded pretty decent. By no means comparative of my Taylor, but it was used quite a bit and sounded pretty good overall.

Has the OP even responded?
Who cares, I'll jump in this anyway.

The best advice was posted already on about the second page. Just go to a guitar shop, ignore brand names, play all of the guitars in your price range, decide which one has the sound and playability you prefer.
If you don't like anything you find, keep saving.
Don't be afraid to look in the used market.

Back