Cheap But Good Acoustic Guitar Recomendations?

powerbob247

Hi There,

I'm new to home recording so was wondering if anyone knew of any good but cheap (£150 max) acoustic guitars? I'm looking to record some songs and mic the guitar up through my M Audio Nova Microphone.

Any recomendations would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Not sure what Seagulls are selling for in the UK, but if they fit your budget, they are a great value and very good instruments.

there's this brand Mitchell. i've got one that i bought in 2006 for $200 ..it's got the cutaway so i can get high up on the fretboard, and it's got an onboard preamp so you can plug it in. not bad!

What is your budget? And what style of acoustic music are you looking to record? A little more info and we might be able to suggest something that applies to your needs.

I played a number of guitars in this price range at GC the other day. I didn't like the Yamaha sound at all, which leads me to this point - go play some guitars and find one that you like the sound of and "feels" good to your hands. Don't buy it, just go home, sign on and ask us about this brand/model and do some research.

The others gave an assortment of vague reasons. I thought there might have been something specific about Seagulls.

OK I'll be vague and refer you to my first response in this thread.

These types of thread are meaningless. There is no "good" or "cheap" they are subjective terms.

I wouldn't buy a guitar for £150 and expect it to be anything but cheap. On a half decent entry level acoustic guitar the materials alone will set you back at least that. I wouldn't buy a Seagull for that money or any of the others. I would look to the second hand market. Probably Yamaha, something like an old FG340.

Now can you tell me what the best mic is for under $100. I do mostly Country style Rap, or Crap as it is known.

OK I'll be vague and refer you to my first response in this thread.

These types of thread are meaningless. There is no "good" or "cheap" they are subjective terms.

I wouldn't buy a guitar for £150 and expect it to be anything but cheap. On a half decent entry level acoustic guitar the materials alone will set you back at least that. I wouldn't buy a Seagull for that money or any of the others. I would look to the second hand market. Probably Yamaha, something like an old FG340.

Now can you tell me what the best mic is for under $100. I do mostly Country style Rap, or Crap as it is known.

Thanks! I didn't realise that your "I wouldn't" was an extension of the thought in your first response.

In my younger years I used to attempt to teach guitar, and I was frequently dismayed by the number of guitars these kids had that were unplayable. "We didn't want to get Johnny an expensive one in case he didn't follow through", they'd say. There's not much chance of Johnny following through if the guitar is untunable, or as an action like a longbow.

Not to be so vague, I chose Seagull simply because their used prices are low and they have a solid top. I've yet to play one that wasnt at the least acceptable. The 12 string Seagull I own is very good and cost less than $300 used.

Is there a particular reason?

You mean other than to be contrary? :)

But seriously, a reason for recommending is in order. But why stop with A reason? How about five?

1. I have owned four Seagulls, and all of them were good 'uns.
2. Solid tops.
3. Made in a reasonably environmentally responsible manner.
4. I have not read a bad review of them.
5. NOT made in China. (almost enough reason, alone.)

I'm with Muttley on this... save more, or look secondhand - if it's sound you're after then something that's relatively beaten up, if the damage is superficial and not structural, will sell for not much as it's ugly, but may still sound quite good.

Question is whether you could tell if it sounds good, though? Always a good idea to have someone else play acoustics as well so you can actually hear them from the microphone's perspective..

I just wouldn't go with an Ovation they always sound like plastic to me. :guitar:

Ummm...they're made of plastic:D

Applause(by Ovation) are tunable, playable guitars for next to nothing new.

Also, Alverez guitars sound surprisingly good for the money, if you stick to playing cowboy chords. They seem to all have the same inherent intonation problem.

I personally like Yamaha acoustics. Even the cheap ones are pretty solid guitars. They tune well, play well, and are built like an SM57.

Yamaha, Alverez, everything else...in that order...as far as cheap, usable guitars. I've played lots of models of the three I mentioned extensively, cuz several friends own one or more of these specific brands.

...the $50 Yamaha takes the cake

Back