cheap acoustics

BrettB

Hio all,

I don't know shit about acoustic guitars, I always played electric, and I think it is time I started messing around on an acoustic.

Does anyone have any tips on a good budget acoustic. It's only for a bit of practising on my room so I don't want to spend a lot of money on this one.

I'm also not aware what to look at in a good acoustic. What kind of wood is the best? Tuners? What else to look at? Any help or tips are welcome!

The Carvin Cobalt are a great value, very nice woods and workmanship. They have a ten day return policy if you don't like it.

You can use an electric guitar tuner to acquire the necessary tuning on your acoustic, actually, as long as it's one of those models with a mic built in.

Just got one this weekend...

A cheap acoustic that is.. I got one B stock that had very small dents on the top of the headstock for $38.00 plus shipping.. You can get a new one for $59.00. I had to polish the frets and install Martin strings.. I am blown away by how well it plays and how good it sounds..

http://www.music123.com/Ariana-WG0944-Acoustic-Guitar-i100978.music

Here is mine:

Attachments

• Ariana.jpg
    Ariana.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 99
I was looking for a cheap acoustic. It had to sound great AND be electric. I also wanted a hardshell case. My budget was $250. I looked at and played 100's of acoustics. IMO, the Briarwood line of acoustics (by peavey) is the best bang for the buck. I go a solid ceder top, rosewood body and neck, and a pickup for $235. The guitar sounds very good ...deep rich sound....alot better than anything else in the cheapo price range. I also bought a used hardshell case for $25.
Bottom line is $260 for an acoustic with a pickup and a hardshell case. I busted my budget by $10, I wasn't happy about that...but I have moved on. :)

jimistone said:
I was looking for a cheap acoustic. It had to sound great AND be electric. I also wanted a hardshell case. My budget was $250. I looked at and played 100's of acoustics. IMO, the Briarwood line of acoustics (by peavey) is the best bang for the buck. I go a solid ceder top, rosewood body and neck, and a pickup for $235. The guitar sounds very good ...deep rich sound....alot better than anything else in the cheapo price range. I also bought a used hardshell case for $25.
Bottom line is $260 for an acoustic with a pickup and a hardshell case. I busted my budget by $10, I wasn't happy about that...but I have moved on. :)

And the best part is it doesn't say Peavey on it anywhere, right jimi?

Thx for the tips,

I didn't fin a Carvin dealer in the area though.

Any things I really have to pay attention to when I want to buy one (wood?)?

BrettB said:

Oops, sorry, didn't catch that you were in Belgium. The Carvin cost advantage is lost there because of distributor markup.

BrettB said:
Thx for the tips,

Any things I really have to pay attention to when I want to buy one (wood?)?

I would say that the main thing to pay attention to is tone (thats why I recomemded the solid ceder top and rosewoodneck body)

If the tone is good but the guitar doesn't play "like a dream", you can fix the playability......but....if the guitar plays good, but sounds like shit...anything you do will be "polishing a turd".

apl said:
And the best part is it doesn't say Peavey on it anywhere, right jimi?

You need to be updated on whats cool in terms of "headstock envy" apl. :) Eddie Van Halen (who many consider the best electric guitar player alive today) plays a Peavey Wolfgang (a FINE guitar with peavey on the headstock).

Many metal players are using peavey amps (the one that Eddie designed). The only reason Peavey has been deemed "not cool" for years, is because their equipment has been afordable to the average Joe.....and everyone had some Peavey equipment. Something that everyone can afford is never cool. That doesn't mean it isn't good...it just means that you are not the only one on the block to have one. If there is any equipment out there, that can hold up to Peavey, in terms of realiability and sheer "abuse taking" capibility, I would like to know about it.
You can do gigs with peavey CS800 power amps, in places where the cheezy wiring would fry most other brand of power amp.....and you can subject those amps to that kind of abuse for years and years.

I believe in Peavey stuff, because I have made alot of money using Peavey equipment down through the years (and plus I can't drive to Meridian Ms in the rare case a piece of their eqipment screws up, and they will fix it on the spot while I wait)

But, to answer your question...No...It doesn't have "Peavey" on the headstock.

It's still Peavey. :rolleyes:

Thank God I don't own ANYTHING with that logo on it.

Wood on a $250 guitar isn't a consideration.

It's gonna be plywood.

Personally, I don't get it. I wouldn't let my kid play a crappy $250 guitar. Huge waste of time IMHO. If you want something that is an INSTRUMENT, then break down and get one!

jimistone said:
The only reason Peavey has been deemed "not cool" for years...

LOL! I'm just funnin' with ya, man. You can PA a gig very well with a pair of SP1s and their power amps, and the stuff is rugged as all get out. A lot better than that Behringer stuff!

But I did take the Peavey nameplate off the grill of my TNT bass amp.

Rickson Gracie said:
taylor 110, best sounding US made acoustic you can get for under $500

absolutely, my good friend has one and let me borrow it for a while and it was amazing. probably the best guitar i've ever played. however, i recently got a $100 washburn d100 from musicians friend that sounds pretty amazing and feels nice. if you're on a tight budget, this would be the guitar to get. but the taylor 110 would probably be my dream acoustic

c7sus said:

It's gonna be plywood.

Personally, I don't get it. I wouldn't let my kid play a crappy $250 guitar. Huge waste of time IMHO. If you want something that is an INSTRUMENT, then break down and get one!

You are wrong.
I have a $235 guitar that has a solid ceder top a rosewood body, and rosewood set neck...how is that plywood?

Do you have any recordings posted c7sus?
I would like to hear some of your stuff. It must be awsome, to merit a "thank God I don't own ANYTHING with that logo on it" comment.
link?

Wow c7

c7sus said:

It's gonna be plywood.

I am shocked at your snobish response.. I think the true value of an instrument can't be judged by a price tag alone.

I just bought a $38 "plywood" acoustic and it plays great and sounds better than acoustics that I have spent nearly $500 on..

So what is your point?

It's not being a snob, it's simply using your ears.

I wouldn't start my kid on a crappy instrument like that because it's uphill enough learning guitar as it is. Why fight crappy intonation or necks that won't stay put??? Why bother with bridges that come apart or tops bellying???

You think I never played shit guitars??? My first was a fucking Stella with tiger stripes and Black Diamond nylon strings.

You guys are so dedicated. "This is my hobby, I spend all my spare time on it. Here's my baby, a $38 acoustic. I'm recording it through a Rosetta into Radar."

jimistone said:
You are wrong.
I have a $235 guitar that has a solid ceder top a rosewood body, and rosewood set neck...how is that plywood?

Do you have any recordings posted c7sus?
I would like to hear some of your stuff. It must be awsome, to merit a "thank God I don't own ANYTHING with that logo on it" comment.
link?

I record for my own amusement, not to provide grist for your mill.

apl said:
LOL! I'm just funnin' with ya, man. You can PA a gig very well with a pair of SP1s and their power amps, and the stuff is rugged as all get out. A lot better than that Behringer stuff!

But I did take the Peavey nameplate off the grill of my TNT bass amp.

I knew you were funnin' with me.
But in reality, peavey is bashed because for years they have provided affordable equipment....by guys that are on a small budget...go figure.. One would be hard pressed to find ANY stage, including major recording artists, that doesn't have some peavey equipment there somewhere.

They made a mic pre-amp that is discontinued now....it brings as much or more now, than it did brand new. We all know that its not the Peavey name causing this...could it be that....it sounds good :eek: (OH NO!!! NOT THAT!!!)
:D

Back