Can't afford Apogee A/D - next best thing?

Griffinator

I realised suddenly that asking for advice about good quality A/D converters on gm's forum was basically asking to be teased with stuff I'm a long way from being able to afford - so what do you all think? Best bang for the buck in a sub-$1000 A/D converter?

check out lucid, they're rated very highly among both professionals and lowly homerecorders' alike. The lucid converters are also in the same league as apogee...only without the expensive price tag.

Scriabin: Thanks for the tip - the AD9624 looks like a winner at $809

I started looking at A/D converters not knowing what to expect for price, and nearly died of a heart attack when I saw the list on an Apogee :)

you should be able to get the lucid ad9624 for much less than 809. LAst time I checked, macmidimusic.com had it for $660.

I like those converters. I'm not convinced that 96k is as important as everyone else seems to think.

But there's no a chance in hell that box will actually go for 1800$. As I post this, there are still 6 days left on the auction...

charger said:
I like those converters. I'm not convinced that 96k is as important as everyone else seems to think.

But there's no a chance in hell that box will actually go for 1800$. As I post this, there are still 6 days left on the auction...

As I speak to more and more people, I learn more and more.

88.2 is an ideal max, actually, because it's a better division when you dither down to 44.1

I do believe that sjoko2 had that box for $1800

I checked bayviewproaudio.com and the list is $2400, so there is no way that macmidimusic should be selling for 2800. Maybe a typo.

on my lucid, the depth and softness at 96 is much better than at 44.1

The end result is still 16bit/44.1 kHz. No amount of magic will change that. As this is still "homerecording.com," I doubt that many, if any of us are producing audio for DVD, SACD, or DSD... Besides which, the ADAT lightpipe spec maxes out at 48k; any box that offers more than 48k over lightpipe is using two (or more, in the Pro Tools HD 192kHz situation) channels at a time.

I'd love to hear someone on this board do the same song at 96/24 and at 44.1/24 -- for example, have a band play the same song live twice, and record each performance at a different sampel rate -- then see if anyone on this board can accurately pick the difference from the final 44.1/16 mixes. Since I've heard this done several times with classical music, I feel pretty confident that the results will be 50/50.

Say you had an Apogee or something...how would you even use that with like an Aardvark Q10, or a Delta1010?

Is there a way to bypass the A/D in those cards?

oh wait....you into the apogee first, after your preamp...and then run digital cable into your sound card?

Of course, with something like the Q10..where you have built in pres...that could be tough.

Back