Can I get a mix check on this one?

Shiny Rhino

Hi folks,

This was a production that lasted longer than I hoped for and just wanted some extra sets of ears to see if there are areas I can improve the mix. The client has signed off on the mix as far as production/arranging goes, just wanting feedback on the overall sonic quality of this mix, as I fear I may have lost my ability to be objective on it.

If you could listen to the entire song, that would be appreciated, (there's a changeup thrown at the bridge) And as always, feel free to include the good as well. :)

Chasing Cinderella-mix 1

76 views and no love....

Maybe if I'm a little more specific. I'm wondering if there is an overall mid freq. "hollowness" to the song, and how the drums sound.

thanks.

I thought the singer was decent. I liked the vocal sound in the chorus.

Level-wise, the mix is dominated by the kick/bass at the low end and the vocal in the midrange. The guitars/keyboards/cymbals get dominated.

The keys and guitars are a little too clean and sterile sounding for my tastes.

76 views and no love....

Maybe if I'm a little more specific. I'm wondering if there is an overall mid freq. "hollowness" to the song, and how the drums sound.

thanks.

I don't hear any mid hollowness...though at the moment I'm listening on dinky laptop speakers...but it still sounds pretty good. I figure if it sounds good on laptop speakers, it must sound way better on decent monitors. :)

thanks.

Hmmm I can kinda hear what you're talking about. I'd describe more like "thin" though....

Although I'm just listening on laptop speakers, so I could be totally wrong :)

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I'm not sure why it has that sound, guitaristic. But I'd be willing to bet we're talking about the same thing with different descriptions.

Any advice how I can fix it?

I'll have to revisit the mix, but don't recall doing any drastic mid cuts. Nothing is on the master bus either.

Stumped.

I think it's close other than that, and might agree with Triple about too much bass and kick.

After some more listening, I think it's just a level thing for me....the vox and drums are nice and loud, but everything else (especially the guitars and bass) is kinda shy, imo.

I think I hear what you're talking about--and for the record, I'm not listening on laptop speakers. :) I'm listening on some big ol' monitors in a nicely treated listening space in my studio.

I also agree with those who have said that it's likely an issue of levels. Before you start doing anything drastic with EQ cuts or boosts, play with the levels. Bring the bass down some, the vox down a hair, and the guits and keys up a tad. I think you've got all the frequencies for a great mix--it's just a matter of getting them each to occupy the right space.

BTW--this is a good recording and a good mix. I listened to some of your other work on Soundcloud while I was there--I'm impressed. Nice stuff.

Nice mix indeed! I would concur with BigRed as far as playing with overall levels within the mix before eq mods. That being said, I hear...
Snare is a bit boxy. Needs a little boost in the upper mids to give it more snap. It has pop, but no crack. On second listen it is the overall icing on the high end that is not there. Just that little bit of shimmer to the hi-hat, cymbals, vocal, tambo etc. Good tune.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I haven't recorded very many songs, but I try to get better with each one.

It's a work in progress, but I'm getting there slowly. I'd love to be able to make a production that I'm sonically satisfied with, but that may nev happen....;)

So I think you guys are right and it might just be a level thing, but I've got conflicting views on bass volume. I'd say the bass is either too loud, or too bottom frequency heavy.

The client wants the vocals louder on the remix, I say they definitely shouldn't be any louder. I think the guitars could go up but perhaps not the riffin' guitar in the verses.

The snare could use more crack, yes. I always fear making it too brittle.

I'm thinking that the kick should be punchier perhaps too. Either give the bass the bottom end or kick, but they're overwhelming the bottom end together at the 100hz and lower frequencies...no?

Any advice on learning when to call it finished? And do you guys set your expectations to get in the ballpark of commercial sound with ITB recording, or am I setting my sights to high for a guy with logic, cheap mics and a motu interface?

IMO, vocals don't need volume, they need presence. The whole mix need presence. It feels 'pushed back' or 'far away'. I do hear the mid hollow dullness of the mix. The dullness is super pronounced on my small Adam monitors and the hollowness comes out on my Yamahas. If I can get a mix to sit right, full and present with both of these I know I am doing well. I do think EQ is required here for both the bass, drums and vocals. Guitars have enough mids to cut through and vocal tones are best during the choruses. Drum seem like there is too much 'room' sound for this type of music or song. Dryer, upfront drums would give the tune more energy.

BTW, please set your sights as high as possible with any gear you have, you are doing great. The reality is getting to know your gear, that is when amazing results are possible.

Great work, keep it up!

Much respect and many blessings!

Thanks Bonafide!

I appreciate your suggestions. I havent' installed them yet, but I just received Sknote's Roundtone & Presence bundle, so maybe I should play with them on each track and see what comes of it.

I haven't hyped much high end on any of the tracks other than a 1 - 2db boost at 12k+ on the vox tracks and an exciter here and there too. What's the best way to generally go about presence when mixing?

Also, what advice for the hollowness? The presence adjusting should rectify the dullness you hear, no? But that won't change the hollowness I'm thinking.

BTW, I really appreciate everyone's help!

Ryan

Nice mix. I thought I was listening to some lost Alanis Morissett song.

the R lead guitar is a little loud when it comes in at the beginning.

I think the mix is really good overall. Any nits I'd have would be preference and probably make the mix worse.

Great mix overall. I agree that there isn't much to do to it other than minor level changes. I felt it could use a hint more guitars/keys and a little more cymbals (or maybe just a little more brightness on the overheads). I wouldn't change much else, it sounds great now. The best mixes are never finished, but I suppose it's time to quit whenever you and the artist are happy with it. Or when the artist is happy with it and your head will explode if you hear it again.

Thanks Bonafide!

I appreciate your suggestions. I havent' installed them yet, but I just received Sknote's Roundtone & Presence bundle, so maybe I should play with them on each track and see what comes of it.

I haven't hyped much high end on any of the tracks other than a 1 - 2db boost at 12k+ on the vox tracks and an exciter here and there too. What's the best way to generally go about presence when mixing?

Also, what advice for the hollowness? The presence adjusting should rectify the dullness you hear, no? But that won't change the hollowness I'm thinking.

BTW, I really appreciate everyone's help!

Ryan

They are essentially one in the same. 'Presence' as in 'upfront', not as in sheen or high end, although high mids can push an instrument to the foreground. Right now the bass feel flabby or undefined which is adding to the hollow feel. When you get the mix upfront more it will naturally fill in the emptiness of the mix. It is by no means drastic on this mix, but it is there and attending to it will really elevate this mix quality for the long run. Yes I would add higher end frequencies, sparingly and only track dependent. Remember the golden rule: Cut first...

Have you checked the EQ on your reverbs?
Have you considered a mult for the snare to bring it up front?
What does a totally dry mix sound like as a starting point?

Here is a recent (unmastered) song I produced and mixed in my bedroom: Although it is not of the same genre, it does have an upfront presence which really helps this particular songs energy IMO:
BTW, someone mentioned Alanis. Jagged Little Pill is a great reference CD for your material here. Could do wonders to use as a model.

Hard to say where the problem lies but I honestly think it may be the room you are hearing in.
Either way you are definitely on the right track for a satisfied client. Keep at it you have all the makings of an excellent engineer/producer.

Respect and many blessings~!

Well, it's nice to know I'm not that far off with the first mix. In the past, I'd usually get in the ballpark similar to this songs current state, after 8-10 mixes. I'm gonna play with it a bit more and make some corrections tonight, then I'll post them for your ears again, if you'd all be willing to re-listen. There's been some contradictory input regarding which instruments should be brought forth/back, so I'll see how the rest develops and make my choices around that.

My plan of attack will be to clarify the bottom end, add some overall presence where needed and balance some of the instuments out a little more. I mixed that as I went and added the final touches right after tracking, so I haven't walked away and revisited it yet until I get at it again tonight, which will make a difference too I think.

Bonafide, I'll listen to your track when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Alanis is a good reference, I concur.

Cheers Fellas...

Can I get a mix check on this one? - New Mix Posted

Hi guys,

I did a new mix tonight and I like it better. I think I've solved some, perhaps all of the issues, but I hope I didn't create any new ones. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Chasing Cinderella - Mix 2

Ryan

They are essentially one in the same. 'Presence' as in 'upfront', not as in sheen or high end, although high mids can push an instrument to the foreground. Right now the bass feel flabby or undefined which is adding to the hollow feel. When you get the mix upfront more it will naturally fill in the emptiness of the mix. It is by no means drastic on this mix, but it is there and attending to it will really elevate this mix quality for the long run. Yes I would add higher end frequencies, sparingly and only track dependent. Remember the golden rule: Cut first...

Have you checked the EQ on your reverbs?
Have you considered a mult for the snare to bring it up front?
What does a totally dry mix sound like as a starting point?

Here is a recent (unmastered) song I produced and mixed in my bedroom: Although it is not of the same genre, it does have an upfront presence which really helps this particular songs energy IMO:
BTW, someone mentioned Alanis. Jagged Little Pill is a great reference CD for your material here. Could do wonders to use as a model.

Hard to say where the problem lies but I honestly think it may be the room you are hearing in.
Either way you are definitely on the right track for a satisfied client. Keep at it you have all the makings of an excellent engineer/producer.

Respect and many blessings~!

Freakin Sweet!

Back