Can anyone tell me what make of microphone this is?

Vikki

igjbkh.jpg

Many thanks

Vikki (UK)

Looks kinda like a Sennheiser logo on it........but cant make it out clear enough to be sure..... I didn't think they made mics that shape, though...

I would have to agree that it's a Neumann U87. At first I thought maybe it could be a U67, but that uses a cable like the U47. This uses a standard XLR.

JP Gerard said:
The only real valid clue is the battery level indicator.

It's a U87i or U87iP48.

JP Gerard
JP,

Not trying to be funny, but there's a little convention here encouraging those in the industry to stick a little identifier in their signature line on the forum, just so that everyone knows where they stand! :)

No offence meant,

Nik

Sorry picture did turn out a bit small, it was taken from the Doyle Dykes site at......
http://www.doyledykes.com/hfd.htm
Picture is in uk tour scroll way down and there's a few better pics there. Thought it might be something a bit classy! Looks pretty close onto the guitar, pointed down above the soundhole?
Vikki(uk)

Vikki said:
Sorry picture did turn out a bit small, it was taken from the Doyle Dykes site at......
http://www.doyledykes.com/hfd.htm
Picture is in uk tour scroll way down and there's a few better pics there. Thought it might be something a bit classy! Looks pretty close onto the guitar, pointed down above the soundhole?
Vikki(uk)
Doyle Dykes - now there's a classy guy. One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet (and one of the best guitarists too!). :)

Yep Doyles a great player, been to a few of his shows and masterclasses, no fuzz there, Rivera Sedona Valve amp and Maple body Taylor with LR Baggs Hex pickups, super dynamic sound! Great string speration with the 6 pickup heads.
Vikki(uk)

how about a Rode T3? looks like one to me... if you look really close at the top of the mics body just under the grill you can just make it out....

guitar junkie said:
how about a Rode T3? looks like one to me... if you look really close at the top of the mics body just under the grill you can just make it out....

...also, the black band around the bottom end cap of the mic is typical of all RODE mics (and some Neumanns as well)...never heard of a T3, but it kinda looks like an NT2 to me...maybe not...

Last edited:
Harvey Gerst said:
Sorry, gang, but from the bottom cap and the shock mount, I'm betting Chinese.

That's not a Neumann shockmount, but what is it about the bottom cap that doesn't look Neumann? It sure does to me. For reference:

372.jpg

Notice the ring on the body is flat, unlike the rounded ring on a real U87. That could be MXL, ADK, or a bunch of other companies. The shock mount is Chinese which supports MXL as a likely source.-Richie

Back