Can a singer actually be "too loud"?

set her up with two mics, one close (421 probably) one 18" - 24" away(solid tube or 103). pop filter on both and you will get a good sound (tell her the condenser is "just in case" and she should sing to the senn.) record both with a little compression on the way in

My mic chain looks like this: Neumann TLM 103 -> straight into Behringer 16 track desk -> into Audiowerk 2.

I know, I know..... Behringer desk...(sharp intake of breath whilst frowning and gently shaking head). That's why I might go for a decent pre-amp. I've been recommended the Channel 1 from SPL (see here for sound on sound review: http://www.soundperformancelab.com/Channel_One/T_UK_Sound0On0Sound_D.html) it has a digital out and seems to be a good one.

Anyone used an SPL channel 1 on the "frontline"?

Was that tank fire close-mic'd or did they use it as a room mic?

Since you can't point the mic directly down the barrel (for hopefully obvious reasons:)), I can only assume they had to depend on off-axis placement.:p

M-Audio Tampa is on great prices right now - £200 here when it used to be more like £500. Has Digital Out as well. DMP-3 is a good one for the money. New Joemeek threeQ looks interesting for sure!

the farther the mics are from the source the more roomy it sounds, wouldnt it sound just a bit better to bring the mics about 10" closer and put a 10 or 20 db pad on the mic tht way she'll sound more preasent

for tubesrawsom - the problem with adding a pad is that inline pads (i.e. the ones you put inbetween the mic and the cable) don't stop the mic from distorting internally and if she did distort the mic (which I'm beginning to think is not very likely) the pad will not stop that noise in the signal.

How far back from the mic is the singer/vocalist? It can take a little bit of work, but make her stand farther back from the mic and use blankest or gobo's to reduce the amount of "room" the mic picks up. You could try another mic too or rent one with a -10 pad.

Peace,
SoMm

Back