Can a singer actually be "too loud"?

karambos2

A singer says she has a very loud voice & thinks this will cause problems when she comes to record in my studio.

I have a Nuemann TLM 103, an AKG Solidtube, a Sennheiser 421, a Shure SM57 and a kick drum/Tuba/bass mic

Does anyone reading this think it really could be a problem?

Just put her in one room and the mic in another.

That'll be $200 please.:D

karambos2 said:
A singer says she has a very loud voice & thinks this will cause problems when she comes to record in my studio.

I have a Nuemann TLM 103, an AKG Solidtube, a Sennheiser 421, a Shure SM57 and a kick drum/Tuba/bass mic

If she thinks it's going to be a problem, then most likely there will be a problem. I'm not sure what the problem will be, but if she thinks there will be a problem and if you can't talk her into believeing there won't be a problem before you start the session or don't know yourself... you can just about bet there will be some kind of a problem.

ADDED: "Does anyone reading this think it really could be a problem?" It wouldn't be a problem for me... but just your asking such a question leads me to believe it could be a problem for you.

Last edited:
That's crazy logic but probably true. Explain to her that it won't be ... and have an inline pad on one side just in case there is !

If you are thinking that she will exceed the maximum SPL of those mics I think she is groundless.

More likely she has had problems with other recordings because of inexperience or bad mic technique.

Some singers just get more enthusiastic when performing than when doing a level check. Some only know how to add drama by adding decibels and to add subtlety by removing them.

I would also use a pop filter. Even if she doesn't need it for the pops you can use it to help keep her mic positioning steady, since she can't get any closer to the mic than the pop filter! It really works. I have recorded high school singers who were all over the place as they moved while singing. I put the pop filter there and on the next take it was like their mouth was nailed to it.

If I was to guess what to expect from her statement:

She's gonna sing loud, then whisper, then louder, then whisper, then scream, then humm a little diddy. All in the first chorus.

You might wanna rent a nice limiter, just in case.

That'll be another $200 please.:D

And none of those funny-money Euros, either. Just send good old greenbacks!

Me too. But we're stuck with the pound. God bless the Queen ... who also advises the judicious use of pop filter and compressor to tame this beast.

Can I have $200, too?

I agree with the pop filter idea to stabilize the singer's position. I find myself hypnotized by my pop filter and I don't move while singing. Maybe I shouldn't have bought from the "Hypnotic Pop Filter Company".

Thankyou c7sus (great handle). You've definately earned your 200 quid. To whom shall I make it payable?

There are no singers so loud that a Solid Tube can't handle it. There are only gain staging schemes that are wrong. Have faith, and just put it up with a good pop filter. I doubt Janis Joplin could even bother the thing. Solid Tube *loves* loud singers.-Richie

karambos2 said:

Not a problem. Whats does your mic chain look like? Pre, compressor etc....mixer?

SoMm

Darn Harvey you stole my thunder! (Linda Ronstadt)

Or for more affordable damage, you could have "mi mi mi" sing through one of your condensers close up. Let alone my old singing coach (dramatic baritone)
where it seems the earth shakes when he sings with Wagnerian intensity.

Read that Sennheiser tested the 421 on recording tank fire (!) and it passed with flying colors BTW. So that one and the '57 should be fine.
Just have a good parametric EQ handy to help smooth things out as needed
during mixing, like a DBX 242 or Speck.

Chris

Back