Built My My Dream Recording Studio

Great work! I would much rather work in a smaller cozy place than a huge studio. Love the color choice too. Watch the desk that close to the corner btw.

Thanks. I have been getting pretty good sounds so far, but we've only just done acoustic and vocals. We are testing the drums this week. We'll see how it goes!

Okay, all drummers out there, this question is for you.

Should I hang a few panels over the druming position... a sorta sound cloud or should I let there be a bit of live sound?
The room is quite dead, compared to what it used to be, but it still has an air of live-ness to it.
I guess it should have a bit of a live feel as it is the "live room".
Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome!

Drummers area.JPGDrummers view..JPG

Wow, I had no idea! So when you say "thicker traps" or "at a depth of 6", are you referring to bass traps or just thick Broadband traps? Because I've heard that 6" of OC703 is the best way to go about a bass trap. So that's where I get confused...is 6" of safe n sound similar to just 2" of OC703? In which case a 6" roxul trap would just be really thick broadband?

I ask (and hijack) mainly because I'd like to make some movable baffles, maybe 6' tall and 3' wide. Using OC would be insanely expensive compared to roxul. Problem being, if the safe n sound is only going to be good at frequencies say above 500 hz for ex, I don't want to make the baffles out of that. I want the full spectrum (or lowest I can go anyways).

I'm referring to any type of trap. At a depth of 6 inches, the OC theoretically absorbs a little better than the Roxul under 100 Hz. However, above 100Hz, the Roxul outperforms the OC703. However I don't own a lab to make tests like these, so its only due to calculations based on the material's air flow resistance.

At a depth of 9", the Safe'n'Sound outperforms 9" OC703 for frequencies we're concerned with when building velocity based absorbers. 9" of Roxul will outperform all the above options, and is much cheaper than 6" of OC703, so I would suggest that route.

i know this is cross threading, but is that the copperhead over the drums you were asking about? if so, how are you finding it?

Back