Built My My Dream Recording Studio

CapacityWKS.

So over the last couple of months I've been hard at work building my "Dream Studio".
I made 27 absorbers and the desk.
Today I ordered about $15,000. worth of gear.
The list goes as follows;

-SSL Nucleus
-Chemeleon Labs 7602 MKII
-SSL Alpha Channel Strip
-Focusrite Pro 40 (now I have two)
-Furman Headphone amp and 6 individual mix units (more me)
-Telefunken "copperhead" cu-29
-AKG 214 (x4)
-Shure 57's (x4)
-Shure Drum mics
-2 snakes (one for inputs and one for headphone outs)

I know i'm missing some things, but this is on top of the gear I already had.
When I get the gear all wired up, I will post some pictures.
I am super stoked.
Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers.

Attachments

• Live Room.jpg
    Live Room.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 368
  • Control room.jpg
    Control room.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 372
  • Decoration.jpg
    Decoration.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 371
Looks nice. The only thing is, and I can't tell for sure by the picture, but it looks like your desk is set up in a weird spot. You're close to a corner and not symmetrical, if I'm looking at it right.

That's what it looks like Rami. There'll be quite few problems generated by that placement.

Looks nice. The only thing is, and I can't tell for sure by the picture, but it looks like your desk is set up in a weird spot. You're close to a corner and not symmetrical, if I'm looking at it right.

There is a door on the left side that opens so in order to have the door open, the desk is moved over a bit. It sounds pretty great in there. I'll be running some room tests and I'll post the graphs. The cieling is slanted so it was ideal to have the desk and the cloud where they are.

There is a door on the left side that opens so in order to have the door open, the desk is moved over a bit. It sounds pretty great in there. I'll be running some room tests and I'll post the graphs. The cieling is slanted so it was ideal to have the desk and the cloud where they are.
Whatever the reason, you're not in an ideal spot. But if you say it sounds great in there, then that's the main thing.

there are 17 sound panels mounted in the control room.
Cool. I have 29 bass traps and broad bands in mine, and I probably could use 20 more. It's almost impossible to over-trap a room, if using the proper materials.

What are your panels made of?

Last edited:
Whatever the reason, you're not in an ideal spot. But if you say it sounds great in there, then that's the main thing.

Cool. I have 29 bass traps and broad bands in mine, and I probably could use 20 more. It's almost impossible to over-trap a room, if using the proper materials.

What are your panels made of?

Safe and sound insulation. It works as good as Owens Corning.

Safe and sound insulation. It works as good as Owens Corning.

Cool. I made my traps out of Roxul, too. Can't remember if it was "Safe annd Sound", but if it wasn't, it was pretty much the same specs.

Good luck with the studio, it's looking good so far.

Cool. I made my traps out of Roxul, too. Can't remember if it was "Safe annd Sound", but if it wasn't, it was pretty much the same specs.

Good luck with the studio, it's looking good so far.

Really? You guys are in Canada too, which is probably why you're using Roxul (hard to get the OC703/705 around these parts although I DID find some). But anyhow, hell I would have bought the Safe n Sound (lmuch cheaper) had I known it would work for trapping the low end well (we're not talking only down to 200 hz here). I didn't think it was dense enough?

Also, apparently the closest equivalent to 703 would be Roxul 40, but that's just as hard to find here as OC!

Really? You guys are in Canada too, which is probably why you're using Roxul (hard to get the OC703/705 around these parts although I DID find some). But anyhow, hell I would have bought the Safe n Sound (lmuch cheaper) had I known it would work for trapping the low end well (we're not talking only down to 200 hz here). I didn't think it was dense enough?

Also, apparently the closest equivalent to 703 would be Roxul 40, but that's just as hard to find here as OC!

Roxul Safe'n'Sound happens to be right at the ballpark for some of the best insulation to use for deeper traps. At a depth of 6" it performs similarly to OC703. Thicker than that, and the Safe'n'Sound will outperform it. With thin traps, you want to use a denser panel, while you want to use lighter insulation for thicker traps. Also, density isn't the real factor at work - the property of interest is the material's flow resistance (which usually slides along a scale with density, but not always)

They have tons of Roxul Safe and Sound at the Lowes right over the bridge in Brooklyn if anyone in NYC is looking. I just made a bunch of traps last week. Great stuff... And your studio looks great btw!

Roxul Safe'n'Sound happens to be right at the ballpark for some of the best insulation to use for deeper traps. At a depth of 6" it performs similarly to OC703. Thicker than that, and the Safe'n'Sound will outperform it. With thin traps, you want to use a denser panel, while you want to use lighter insulation for thicker traps. Also, density isn't the real factor at work - the property of interest is the material's flow resistance (which usually slides along a scale with density, but not always)

Wow, I had no idea! So when you say "thicker traps" or "at a depth of 6", are you referring to bass traps or just thick Broadband traps? Because I've heard that 6" of OC703 is the best way to go about a bass trap. So that's where I get confused...is 6" of safe n sound similar to just 2" of OC703? In which case a 6" roxul trap would just be really thick broadband?

I ask (and hijack) mainly because I'd like to make some movable baffles, maybe 6' tall and 3' wide. Using OC would be insanely expensive compared to roxul. Problem being, if the safe n sound is only going to be good at frequencies say above 500 hz for ex, I don't want to make the baffles out of that. I want the full spectrum (or lowest I can go anyways).

Great work! I would much rather work in a smaller cozy place than a huge studio. Love the color choice too. Watch the desk that close to the corner btw.

Back