Building Proffesional Speaker Boxes

Cudmasters Los

Does anybody know what the best software is to build proffesional speaker boxes. 2 way's 3 way'. Bi ampables, subs, etc? Also what is used, like speaker gasket tape etc?

Thanks

I have never heard of "proffessional" speaker boxes! :(

Now, some might be looking to build some "professional" speak boxes. To that I ask, what does the description of "professional" have to do with speaker boxes?

1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

In the radio dj business, they use speaker boxes in the studio for some stuff.

In the dance dj business they use different kinds of speakers boxes.

In the studio business, they use a different kind of speaker boxes.

In live sound reinforcement, they use a certain kinds of speaker boxes.

Each of these professions have VERY different requirements!

That is not to say though that speaker boxes cannot "cross over" to other uses! Depends on the results you are after, and your budget.

I am not sure how you could possibly characterize "amateur" speaker boxes from "professional" ones, and as stated above, have NO CLUE what "proffessional" is!

Maybe ask a more specific question? ;)

Cudmasters Los said:
Does anybody know what the best software is to build proffesional speaker boxes. 2 way's 3 way'. Bi ampables, subs, etc? Also what is used, like speaker gasket tape etc?

Thanks

One of my favorites is called LEAP. Many professional speaker designers use it.

http://www.linearx.com/

Sorry there Ford Van, I thought it was a pretty common sense question that i was asking, like, Do you know any Proffesional recording software. I don't think I would have to get inot specifics about it. I run a sound company, travel the country, just never had a conversation about building speaker boxes, not, Speak Boxes ;) I guess as soon as I wrote bi-ampable, that it would be known that I was more than likely talking about live loud speakers. By the way, does anybody actually use 2 seperate signals to run a studio monitor :rolleyes: I didn't think that I had to get into the specifics like V-Dos which are like $4,000 a box to Yorkville or Sonic which I don't need to say. I could ask for Renkus Heinz quality, or Community quality which is a little less, however I do like Grundorf speakers, cost little, put out alot which would be in the low middle. But what makes the diffrence, I just want to know if there is a software that helps you design speaker boxes.Not to be smart, but just didn't think that you had to go through all of that typing or pasting to give me that answer. But I do appreciate you taking the time to read, and respond.

Thanks Kid Klash, Appreciate it. :)

Cudmasters Los said:
Sorry there Ford Van, I thought it was a pretty common sense question that i was asking, like, Do you know any Proffesional recording software. I don't think I would have to get inot specifics about it. I run a sound company, travel the country, just never had a conversation about building speaker boxes, not, Speak Boxes ;) I guess as soon as I wrote bi-ampable, that it would be known that I was more than likely talking about live loud speakers. By the way, does anybody actually use 2 seperate signals to run a studio monitor :rolleyes: I didn't think that I had to get into the specifics like V-Dos which are like $4,000 a box to Yorkville or Sonic which I don't need to say. I could ask for Renkus Heinz quality, or Community quality which is a little less, however I do like Grundorf speakers, cost little, put out alot which would be in the low middle. But what makes the diffrence, I just want to know if there is a software that helps you design speaker boxes.Not to be smart, but just didn't think that you had to go through all of that typing or pasting to give me that answer. But I do appreciate you taking the time to read, and respond.

Thanks Kid Klash, Appreciate it. :)

Vrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooom! My response obviously went right on over your noggin'. Oh well........:mad:

Ford Van said:
I have never heard of "proffessional" speaker boxes! :(

Now, some might be looking to build some "professional" speak boxes. To that I ask, what does the description of "professional" have to do with speaker boxes?...

I am not sure how you could possibly characterize "amateur" speaker boxes from "professional" ones, and as stated above, have NO CLUE what "proffessional" is!

I have no idea what a "speak box" is. It seems if you are gonna type 3 paragraphs busting a guys chops over a typo, you'd be more careful about your own.

andyhix said:
I have no idea what a "speak box" is. It seems if you are gonna type 3 paragraphs busting a guys chops over a typo, you'd be more careful about your own.

Indeed! ;) But it was still pretty funny! He does it again in his second post too!

Ford Van said:
Indeed! ;) But it was still pretty funny! He does it again in his second post too!
Fair enough - I'll give ya that. ;) [why does the winky face always make me feel like I'm hitting on someone? :eek: ]

andyhix said:
Appreciate it Andyhix

Definately not an english major or newspaper reporter, there will probubly always be a typo.

Havent been on this site in over a year, but talk about it all the time. No matter how the answer is given, you guys know what your talken about. Guess I got a little ticked that the first post in over a year, I get ripped over something that was an obvius question, and still he hasen't given an answer. Kid Klash gave me an answer, and a website. So that must mean that this guy doesn't know an answer, just posts to make himself feel better or something, don't know? But I'm sure Ford Van knows alot, and that's not being sarcastic. He wouldn't have as many posts as he has if he didn't!

I'll try to work on typo's in the future, sure you'll find one here!

Thanks guys

No hard feelings Ford Van

Okay, well, you seem to think that the spelling "professional" is "proffesional" Get Firefox 2.0 and keep the spell checker on and you are good! ;)

Next, there is no such thing as a "professional speaker box". If you use the speaker box to make money, I guess you could say it is "professional". Depending upon the NEEDS to have for an end product, ANY speaker box could be "professional". Get it?

I have literally seen cubed boxes made in a guys garage that made great sub speaker boxes. I have seen dudes make money with these crude designs! Are they "professional"? You bet! And they didn't need any fancy schmancy software to design them! Get it? ;)

Your original question was sort of weird.

You could have asked, "Does anybody know of some good software to design speaker boxes", and you would have been good. What the fuck does "professional" have to do with anything? Do you think there is software out there to design "amateur" speaker boxes? And again, what is the difference between "amateur" and "professional" speaker boxes? In over 20 years of doing live sound PROFESSIONALLY, I am at a loss here! Help me out! ;)

No hard feelings though. Really! :)

Cudmasters Los said:

Thanks

If internal cab dimension and port calculation software is what you seek, it does indeed exist;
http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/bcs.php
http://www.webervst.com/spkrcalc/closed1.htm

There are quite a few others. I have a program on my other hard drive with an endless database of existing speakers and drivers listed to punch in to their enclosure calc--There's a lot more to tuning a cab than simply knowing the wattage and diameter of the driver...The software is a free download. I'll try to post the url in a bit.

I go here for parts;
http://www.parts-express.com/

Good luck

Eric

Google is your friend here. A simple query should show scads of web sites with info about building speaker cabinets of all sorts.

The term "professional" is probably what caught folks eyes. Building your own cabinets, expecially the first few dozen times, rarely results in anything that might be called professional.

Ed

Also agreed. I can't remember the program I used on top of my head, but I designed a box for my other car in 2003, for a sound competition. Tuned the thing, and hit 160dB with measly JBL 1000w sub's. I tuned it to around 33hz, and the design inside of them consisted of something in the shape of a W

Where on 2 points of the "W" were the subs... ok... I'll just stop now, cause there's no need to explain it.

Anyways, some boxes might sound 'ok' but it's just like every other hobby or profession in the world. Especially music. You got your good sounding gear, then you got your gear (and components that give you the best sound you can get) that blows everything out the water.

There's a box for 10" woofers, called Godzilla... that you can put a crap 10" Legacy 300w sub in (which they demonstrated), and it hit 150dB vs a regular good quality build box that only pushed 108dB.

I've been down this road, built some of my own stuff for some of the same kind of "pro" apps your talking about. I forgot what some of speaker box calculators I used were but they were all freely alailable online so I didnt even need to buy any software. Just add the word "free" to your google query.

Another thing you'll need to learn is what all those raw speaker specs mean when choosing your drivers. Knowing just a speakers power handling and frequncy range is not enough as figures can be deceiving and you can end up putting an inadequite speaker in a PA box that was really more suited to a home stereo.

Saving money:
For high end home audio at least you can often save a bundle buildng your own system, but for instrument and PA applications, you may end up bit dissapointed as components and materials can often add up to nearly what you'd buy a completed box for new. A good condition used box is often a much better value but there are certian items like huge folded horn subwoofers can definately be more economical to build yourself. Building boxes more as a fun rewarding project is another story.

Heres a couple links of some speaker/electronics suppliers for any components you might need:

www.mcmelectronics.com
www.partsexpress.com
www.speakerrepair.com

(always seeking more wholesale/retail suppliers if anyone wants to add to that list)

Last edited:
Mindset said:
...the design inside of them consisted of something in the shape of a W

Where on 2 points of the "W" were the subs... ok... I'll just stop now, cause there's no need to explain it.

I believe you've just described an exponential horn...I was in a band several years ago who bought a couple such cabs from "DooBro Sound Co." (I'll give ya a chiclet if you figure that one out). The cabs were solid baltic birch, 4'X4'X2' high, and each loaded with 1 EV 15"...the porting amounted to a 16 foot exponential horn, dunno how low she went but we rattled windows across town with the bastidges...

Eric

yeah it was kind of like that, but I modified it a little bit for a car audio show. Won the price 10k & a trophy too. The sub's were basically sitting on the top part of the W, and the lines represent the traveling sound as it exited the port in the front. However, the subs itself were also sealed (basically a bandpass box) in the front. Which band were you in? Can't figure it out lol.

Heh heh, I was in many different bands over the years, but they don't matter...I was referring to "DooBro" sound--Not a band I was in... :D

Eric

OHH lol... hmmm idk, I hear some people say it a few times before, about some country songs, but never knew what it really meant.

Back