Building a "Behringer homestudio"

Mr. Ins@ne

I know, I know, everytime the "behringer" name is pronounced, voices of rage are raised upon it. The problem is I'm a poor guy, and I'm building my humble homestudio (I had some gear for a while, now its time for "major" upgrade). So I suppose when you need good (not the best) audio solutions for the best (not the good) price, Behringer is the (only?) way. Since I'm a bit rookie (not to say stupid) in terms of audio production that goes a little bit further than plug-and-play (well, not THAT stupid anyway), I'm inviting all the "recording-masters" to give me some advices about puting all this shit together in an highly functional way. And I'm also inviting all the users of the same products to review it in a few words, since I'm thinking of buying it, but I'm willing to change my mind based on good argumentation. So here it goes,

I have:

PIV 3.0GHZ with Cubase SX 2.0
M-audio Delta 1010 soundcard/ audio interface
Behringer V-amp Pro
Spirit Absolute Zero monitors (waiting for upgrade)
Behringer UB1204FX Pro mixer (waiting for upgrade)

I will have:

Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer
Behringer B2031A Truth Monitors
Behringer Virtualizer DSP2024P (Fx)
Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 (Eq/ dynamics)
Behringer Tube Composer T1952 (Tube dynamics)
Behringer TUBE ULTRAFEX T1954 (Tube audio enhancement)
Behringer POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700 (headphone amplifier/ mixer)
Behringer B-CONTROL FADER BCF2000 (interface controler)
Behringer Bass V-amp PRO (goes without saying)
Behringer B2-Pro (mic)

So the main questions are:

(For those who have similar gear) Is it any good or worth the few money it costs?
(For those who master the arts of homerecording) Is this enough for cool audio production? Do I need more than what I have (If so, what should I get more) or do I have more than what I need (If so, what should I get rid of)?

And my final question is: Assuming I have all this gear, in what order should I mount the compressors, eqs, fx, etc.

Thnx a lot

If you are looking to spend all that money, what not get a decent mic or two and a 1-2 channel preamp? What is it that the onboard software can't do that you are looking to Behringer (of all places) to improve?

I agree that it's better to get started on anything fitting your budget, but at your range, it just seems a bit silly to buy all at once AND buy all Behringer.

I'm not buying all at once, it looks too much, but apart from the mixer and monitors, I only buying one fx, one eq/dynamics, one tube dynamics and one tube enhancer processors. Its just four units in my processing rack, one for each need. And I'm not spending all THAT money. This is behringer. I'm almost not spending money at all. About pre-amps, I've been told new behringer onboard preamps (on UB mixers) are not THAT bad. I was wondering if I should buy the behringer Tube preamp as well, but is it really worth it? And don't want to go for other brands right now. I have this view: either I'll buy the best or either I'll buy the cheapest (with enough quality). Right now I'm just for the cheapest, in some years I'll maybe be able to buy the best (or near). When you buy mid-price/ mid-quality products, you're always loosing money and you'll never be satisfied enough with it.

randyfromde said:
If you are looking to spend all that money, what not get a decent mic or two and a 1-2 channel preamp? What is it that the onboard software can't do that you are looking to Behringer (of all places) to improve?

Exactly, trash all that and get a sweet preamp. You can run your Bass through it too. Plus haven't you run your bass through your V-amp? I've got a decent Bass sound through one of them. If your interested I'll send you my patch. I was running my Bass through my Meek pre but since have a found a better sound through the V-amp.

Mr. Ins@ne said:
I have this view: either I'll buy the best or either I'll buy the cheapest (with enough quality). Right now I'm just for the cheapest, in some years I'll maybe be able to buy the best (or near). When you buy mid-price/ mid-quality products, you're always loosing money and you'll never be satisfied enough with it.

Alot of us can only afford the cheapest. The great thing about this BBS, is that if you get some searches going and research, you can find stuff that costs exactly the same or CHEAPER than alot of the gear you have listed above, yet may work and sound better!

Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer
Behringer B2031A Truth Monitors
Behringer Virtualizer DSP2024P (Fx)
Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 (Eq/ dynamics)
Behringer Tube Composer T1952 (Tube dynamics)
Behringer TUBE ULTRAFEX T1954 (Tube audio enhancement)
Behringer POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700 (headphone amplifier/ mixer)
Behringer B-CONTROL FADER BCF2000 (interface controler)
Behringer Bass V-amp PRO (goes without saying)
Behringer B2-Pro (mic)

If you add up the cost of all this gear, you have a lot of options. The headphone amp is ok, but do you really need the B-Control AND the UB2442FX mixer? How many mics do you plan to use at once? You didn't list any other mics that you own. A mixer seems like something you could easily pass on unless you plan on recording multiple tracks at a time. Even then, you'd probably be better off with an ADA8000 running into your Delta, or into the B-Control if you really feel you need that unit. As for the rest (other than the mic), I'd save your money. Then again, you could just get one good 8 channel pre, and some good mics. My 2 cents.

Mr. Ins@ne said:
I have this view: either I'll buy the best or either I'll buy the cheapest (with enough quality). Right now I'm just for the cheapest, in some years I'll maybe be able to buy the best (or near). When you buy mid-price/ mid-quality products, you're always loosing money and you'll never be satisfied enough with it.

I have another theory: Buy the best that you can afford, or that you can reasonably afford.

If there is stuff out there that is comparable, and in some cases better, than the Behringer equivalent . . . and for the same or less money, then why on earth would you buy the lesser quality stuff?

Amongst that list of utter crap that you plan on buying . . . I would highly recommend replacing any Behringer mixer with a comparable Yamaha MG series mixer. Take any of the EQ and/or compression you plan on buying, and instead pick up something used off Ebay from the likes of Symetrix and/or Rane. See if you can land a DBX 242 or an Orban EQ . . . you'll still use one of those long after you upgrade. Maybe pick up an RNC compressor, or if that's too much for you, get a used Symetrix 501 or an Ashley -- some good stuff there. Instead of that crappy bass V-amp, see if you can score a Sansamp Bass Driver for cheap. If you need a good, cheap condenser mic, then look at a Studio Projects B-1 or a CAD M-177. An M-Audio Audio Buddy, DMP-3, or a used Symetrix 201 are all perfectly good mic pres for not very much money.

Ebay is your friend.

Don't just buy crap for the sake of buying crap. That's just plain dumb.

I agree intirely.

I have a Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL.

Its not terrible.

Get a couple of Nice Mic's I have an AKG Solidtube that I love. ( not that expensive)

A nice Pre .I am on a budget and use a DBX 386. only two inputs but very nice.

Spend the rest on Acoustic treatment for the room your recording in.

I'm not an expert but my opinion thats all

Cheers

Surf's Up

All of you got a point there. It just comes to my mind over and over again...is behringer THAT bad? I've been using Guitar V-amp PRO for some time and I find it really good. I do like it more than Line-6 PODs actually (and I'm not talking about price here, I was able to choose between both of them regardless their price). And about the mixers, well...I've been using the 1204 and it sounds reasonably good. I chose the 2442 because of the 8 direct outs. And because of the versatility it might bring in other situations like live performances, etc. I'm not planning on depend on mics and acoustics that much. I use V-drums (Roland Td-10), DFH samples, I plug guitars and bass directly and use virtual processing (v-amp, guitar rig, amplitube, etc). And other thing, I'm my country I get a really special price on behringer gear so it wont be a problem selling them used (in case I need to) without loosing money. I'm alot into digital recording and I'm just buying all that tube stuff to warm the digital signal a little bit. The B-control is the cheapest award-winning interface controler (to control Cubase SX mixer, for instance). If I'm gonna save some money by not buying that, I'll have to keep pushing the stoopid faders up and down with my mouse. That's pretty anoying. I know I could buy alot better, I doubt I could buy it cheaper though, but I'm trying to push my studio "audio capabilities" into a new level. I do believe some of this gear is worth the money (I heard this new ultracurve is quite good). I'd just like to have more particular opinions on the gear like "the Tube Composer sucks because this and that" or "the virtualizer rocks because this and that" and not just "Behringer sucks".

The Behringer gear that I've tried added high end frequency to the signal...kind of like the inexpensive Chinese condensor mics do. A/B with another piece of gear and you will hear it. Even for cheap, I decided not to tolerate that.
I agree on buying better gear, even if it means owning less stuff. You will get a better sound than if you had a roomful of cheap gizmos.
I remember reading an interview with Jeff Lynne. When he went over to George Harrison's house he was surprised at how little equipment George had to record with. I don't recall particulars but I do remember a top notch analog tape machine, some excellent mics, and some kind of really nice mixing board. Jeff was surprised at the lack of outboard gear. He also said that the "home" recordings were superb.
That being said, if you feel the need to have a bunch of dials to turn and buttons to push, go for it. If you want to learn to make quality recordings, buy a few good pieces and acquire more as the skills progress and you understand the need.
Just my .02

Terry

To Expand On My Behringer Powerplay Pro -XL

What I meant by not Terrible.

Sometimes I like to Listen to my recordings Really Loud.

Sadly The Powerplay adds Some Hiss and White noise etc if you push it to hard.

But this is 'Not Terrible' becouse Precise monitoring at High Volume through my headphones is not what I use it for, and besides it was cheap and I couldn't find anything that did what it did at the price.

The Problem have is the problem I have with all outboard.

It is simply annoying that there is a limit on what you can do with something even if that limit is never really gonna effect what you do.

For instance If I was to buy a synth that worked perfectly but cracked up whenever you played a Dog Bark sample I'd be cool with it.

Now I've never used a dog bark sample in my life , But you know what, as soon as I use that synth in the writing of a new tune, you know what I think it needs......Dog Bark.

Using the Best Quality Components and as little number of components in your signal chain will improve the quality of your recordings.

Being surrounded by equipment that annoys you will not.

It will annoy you.

Surf's Up.

I was using UB502 with SM57 once...not long ago when i didn't know better. My recordings had all this noisy "hiss" interference sound...replaced it with RNP preamp...no more hiss.

You must be one rich poor guy to afford to buy something as crappy as Behringer. You figure you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years because of their poor build quality, and the whole time you'll be sounding duff.

There is good used gear out there that won't kill your bank account. You just have to find it.

Mr. Ins@ne said:
All of you got a point there. It just comes to my mind over and over again...is behringer THAT bad? I'd just like to have more particular opinions on the gear like "the Tube Composer sucks because this and that" or "the virtualizer rocks because this and that" and not just "Behringer sucks".

This just seems like you trying to convince yourself of a bad idea, hoping against hope that it will work while truthfully knowing it can't work.

Screw that Behringer garbage.

You can do a lot better for the same price if you just look around.

Ok, so lets move into another level here. Forget about Behringer, tell me what I should buy instead (please name models). Lets assume I'm just keeping the M-audio Delta 1010 and the computer.

Cloneboy Studio said:
This just seems like you trying to convince yourself of a bad idea, hoping against hope that it will work while truthfully knowing it can't work.

Screw that Behringer garbage.

You can do a lot better for the same price if you just look around.

Come on now.. why not just say that the entire Musicians Friend catalog is full of crap?

I will admit that Cloneboy has a point. I've got plenty of retired pieces packed away in boxes that are basically "crap". It was given rave reviews by Musicians Friend, even listed as a "top seller!" in Musicians Friend.. but what it came down to was a cheap piece of garbage....from Musicians Friend.

So what did I do? I quit smoking and saved the money. Once a year I buy a new piece from Mercenary.

I have a somewhat different view of Behringer gear. I own and use regularly a number of pieces of Behringer gear, including mixers and outboard units. I have been very happy with their gear.

Behringer gear is usually very low in cost and functional. I know that some folks have had problems with the durability of their mixers for live use (where things are moved around every week). However for a typical home studio, most gear rarely moves very far and very often. I use their mixers live and have had no such problems, but that’s just me.

Most Behringer V-Amp owners seem happy with their units. Many have compared their gear to the Line 6 gear it was based on and many prefer the V-Amp. Others prefer the POD gear. It again boils down to what suits your ears and needs.

There is clearly always better gear available. Pick any brand and model, and someone will find another model that is better. Nothing new here. The real question is that level of gear is needed for your requirements.

Consider the fact that the majority of recorded music produced over the last 100 years used very basic equipment compared to almost any set of even low cost modern gear. For most all recorded material the weak link is not the gear but usually the person on the other end making music.

I recorded my first record some 40 years ago with a high school rock band. We did it at a local church where someone has a stereo tape recorder and some choir mics they could use. It still sounds pretty fair today. I started doing instrumental material some 20 years ago. I used a TASCAM 4-track analog recorder and the condenser mics that came with it. Still sounds pretty fair today.

Most home studios are used to record the home owner’s material. That is usually not commercial in nature, but more convenience based. It’s not clear what your objectives are in this area.

For most the best approach is to add gear slowly as they learn to use what they have and find what they need. Your existing gear is probably a good base to start with. Your new candidate gear list includes lots of outboard units, but little in the area of mics or other changes.

For many home studio setups, having enough good mics and a good physical area for recording are a good place to start. Physical acoustic material in the room used can make a lot of difference in the recorded result by blocking outside noise like cars driving by and barking dogs. My thoughts would be to focus on these first and a smaller set of outboard gear. Maybe you have already addressed this, but you did not mention it.

Someone else already mentioned Ebay. You can generally get good used gear there for a lower cost. You can also sell your existing gear there and move up in quality as the need arises. I never look at gear as something I’ll have forever, but as something I’ll try out. If it works, I’ll keep it around for a while. If not, I sell it on Ebay and buy something else.

As you consider each item, use Google and the Web to find out others experiences with the gear. Reviews on MF and other sales sites may be somewhat one sided. Reviews on Harmony-Central may be more unbiased.

Ed

Whoa!!!!!

I've got nothing against behringer, I own and use some thier stuff (Truths,Parametric eq, virtualizer, direct boxes). But hey man slow down!!!!!
Get one thing at a time, learn what it can do for your sound and do as much as you can with minimal equipment until you KNOW that you've reached your limitations with your current gear. Thats when you carefully select the next piece that will benefit your sound the most, then exaust ITs usefulness and so on. If you must get a rack full of gear to start off with why not stick with the Basic Basics. Pre amp, Compressor, Multi fx/reverb and if you reallly want to be a fancy pants maybe a parametric equalizer. Thats all that you really need for a long time along with a couple of decent mics, . If you have all that shit right from the start I garauntee that you will pick up a bad habbit of processing and tweaking when you don't really need to. TAKE it EASY man and SLOW DOWN, this whole recording things gonna take awhile. ...........And what ED said.

Back