Budget mics. I dont want to get burned by a c1

naww, don't be afraid. I've been placed right on top of a nice old Neumann U47 before, and no one blinked an eye about "sensitivity." Most microphones are made to handle vocals at moderate to loud volumes, unless you are blessed with an extrememly loud voice, it's gonna be tough to overload it singing close. right on top of the mic is not an uncommon technique for a really big sound, esp if the singer has a quiet voice... or in radio, you see it all the time. At the very least, it's not going to hurt you (or the mic) to try different distances, record the results, and compare for yourself... that's ALWAYS going to give you better results than using an arbitrary set of figures for "recording distance" that someone else tells you. Of course, if you're closer than say 10 inches you probably need a pop filter.

Cyan, you're trying to save money and get that TLM 103 sound, all at the same time.

If you're gonna pay the price of ace converters, who do you need to tell you you're gonna have to pay the price of ace mics to get an ace mic sound?

All the best,

dobro

Another Oh So True...

The microphone and then the preamp affects EVERTHING down the chain. Get it the way you want it going in and you'll have FAR less problems coming out! It's AMAZING what you can get with a nice front-end coming out of those little mini-disc 4-tracks with data compression and cheapo converters!

I mean you can put something REALLY good into shit and have it come out reasonable OK. But put shit into something REALLY good and you're able to REALLY hear the shit!

Of course, this is ALL assuming you have something decent going into the front-end!

Back