Borrowed Time

I liked your track, can't offer much useful advice as I'm new here and new to taking recording seriously but purely musically, I enjoyed it.

I liked your track, can't offer much useful advice as I'm new here and new to taking recording seriously but purely musically, I enjoyed it.

Thank you my friend!
The music is the most important thing....welcome to the site!

Thank you my friend!
The music is the most important thing....welcome to the site!:)

Wow.... Joey. This is radically different than your other stuff, and I love it! The drums are a lot less frenetic and mechanical - much more groovy. Your vocals even sound different, dude! I love it! Umm... I'm listening at work through earbuds, but they're not super crappy, only sort of crappy. From this vantage point, the chorus needs less vocal power, and more guitars. The verses are just about right, but the vocals could come up just a tad. Bass levels through the buds sounds good. Lots of power, and not much mud. I'll listen again from home on the monitors and give more feedback.

Very impressed at the change, dude. I love it when people branch out.

Also - I've invested in some additional / higher quality drum recording gear, and would love to use this song as a testing ground... Would that be okay?

Wow.... Joey. This is radically different than your other stuff, and I love it! The drums are a lot less frenetic and mechanical - much more groovy. Your vocals even sound different, dude! I love it! Umm... I'm listening at work through earbuds, but they're not super crappy, only sort of crappy. From this vantage point, the chorus needs less vocal power, and more guitars. The verses are just about right, but the vocals could come up just a tad. Bass levels through the buds sounds good. Lots of power, and not much mud. I'll listen again from home on the monitors and give more feedback.

Very impressed at the change, dude. I love it when people branch out.

Also - I've invested in some additional / higher quality drum recording gear, and would love to use this song as a testing ground... Would that be okay?

Sure you can Jason, I'll send you the drumless track if you'd like.
Yeah, this is a first mix, so the levels are probably not all there yet. The style is more 80's I guess, just felt like belting it out against my ex-boss....;)
Thanx for the comments!

Damn, what year is it anyway? Sounds like I'm listening to Krokus or RATT or something. :D

Sounds pretty freaking huge actually. I think the vocals are getting buried in the verses. I don't have any problem with the bass. It's pretty big, but it's not muddy to me. Your other stuff is good, but I personally think this straight ahead crotch rocking style suits you better. I liked it. If I had hair I'd tease that shit up right now! Where's my fucking denim jacket? :D

Definitely sounds like an 80's tune. The big verb and playing style really fit that time period. Generally really good.

I think you could bring up the lead vocal and the snare a little bit. Or bring everything else down.

Other stuff sounds real good.

Damn, what year is it anyway? Sounds like I'm listening to Krokus or RATT or something. :D

Sounds pretty freaking huge actually. I think the vocals are getting buried in the verses. I don't have any problem with the bass. It's pretty big, but it's not muddy to me. Your other stuff is good, but I personally think this straight ahead crotch rocking style suits you better. I liked it. If I had hair I'd tease that shit up right now! Where's my fucking denim jacket? :D

Well, considering that Marc Storace is a Malteser like me......;)
I'll fix those vocals....and if you need a denim jacket, I've got a spare one somewhere.:D
Thanx, Greg!

Definitely sounds like an 80's tune. The big verb and playing style really fit that time period. Generally really good.

I think you could bring up the lead vocal and the snare a little bit. Or bring everything else down.

Other stuff sounds real good.
Thanx Triple!
Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting now, definitely have to fix the vocals in the verse and snare could be a little louder.

Hey joey - the guitars sound really nice and full on this as does the bass. I don't think it's too much at all.

Bring the vocals up some during the verses please. I also think the snare drum could cut through a little better, but overall you have captured a really nice, full sound here.

I like it Joey !!! Your vocals are getting freakin fantasic !!!!! And the chorus vocals are nice too. You ever listen to early Triumph stuff ? Im talkin 1st and 2nd album stuff before they became famous. Your vocals sound like Rik Emmits from that era. Ive just now started back into recording stuff and need to hit you up for vocals. You need to move to Ohio !!!!!!

I like it Joe! Now, you know I always gotta pick on your guitar sound (since day one, I think), but not today my friend! This guitar sound kicks ass !! This song kicks ass!! Krokus? Ratt? Naw, not so fast! You got a very cool, unpredictable kinda vibe in the verses - most those 80's bands were a little more simplistic. It did sound pretty hard compressed at times when I wanted the volume to hit me a little, it pulled back :confused:. Anyway, save that guitar tone and do some more like this - it's great! :D:D:D

Big is the only adjective that fits.
80's but not hairmetal or spandexmetal as this one has too much meat for that group of potatoes.
The drum prog certainly has a lot more space than your usual patterns - but that suits the song perfectly. It'll be interesting to hear what Jason can bring to the stew.
Nice work by your new axefiend.
Bass sounds fine mate meat, growl and a dash of top end - works for me.
Chameleon #1.

I got exactly the same as everyone else Joey - nice big full sound, good vocals and guitars - but they're a little buried in the mix during the verse, so I couldn't make out the lyrics.

Look forward to hearing it with new drums.

Hey joey - the guitars sound really nice and full on this as does the bass. I don't think it's too much at all.

Bring the vocals up some during the verses please. I also think the snare drum could cut through a little better, but overall you have captured a really nice, full sound here.

Heatmiser -
Thanx Pete! Glad to hear bass sounds OK.:)

Bushmaster -
Hey buddy! What's up? I haven't listened to Triumph for years, but I always liked their style. About 30 years ago I used to do I live for the Weekend, that was fun! Ohio is pretty far from where I am....but you've got my email.;)

maximusbs -

Thanx Brad! All I did with the gits was EQ them a bit differently on the bus. Now that I know they sound good, I'll be keeping them that way. I'll check the compression again.

rayc -
Yes, the style is more 80's Ozzy, I guess. I too like a nice big bass tone.;)

robgreen -
Thanx Rob! I'll be doing another mix soon, with the boosted voice and snare.

Dude. Love the vocals. But I think the snare could use some verb, or a room sample trigger or something. It sounds really thin and mono, and doesn't sound like it's in the same music space as the rest of the instruments.

Gotta say I'm not the hugest fan of the guitars, they sound very digital/bubbly, kinda like you ran em through a tubescreamer turned up really far and then into a line 6 pod or something.

Overall though the song is fantastic and your vocals are jizztastic dude.

Back