Born To Be Wild

I would be happy if I could record a cover the way you've done it. You've captured the essence of the original very well.

Some people are critical of those who cover a song by slavishly copying the original, but I do it from time to time, because it is an incredibly useful way of developing your listening and analytical skills in figuring out how things are done and how particular sounds are achieved.

Two areas that you might like to consider:

* The vocals are quite rich, and you might want to think about cutting the bottom end a bit, then dropping them back into the mix a bit further.

* It sounds to me like the song is just within your range, and that you are pushing a bit to get the higher notes. At about 1.00 and the corresponding places elsewhere in the song I can hear a kind of strain in your voice, as if maybe you've done heaps of takes and your voice is getting tired. I don't know what you can do about this.

Nice cover. I would concur with Gecko that it is a little heavy on the bottom.

On the vocals, they do sound strained, verses pushed. They also seem not as loose and free flowing as this song would allow. Good stuff.

If you do take another shot at the vocals, try relaxing a bit more and get into the song. You have the voice for it, just missing the feel a tad.

Yeah totally agree with what the other have said before me. Great cover. Vocals are too loud for the mix though.

I enjoyed it all the same though. Guitars, drums and bass are spot on :thumbs up:

I would be happy if I could record a cover the way you've done it. You've captured the essence of the original very well.

Some people are critical of those who cover a song by slavishly copying the original, but I do it from time to time, because it is an incredibly useful way of developing your listening and analytical skills in figuring out how things are done and how particular sounds are achieved.

Two areas that you might like to consider:

* The vocals are quite rich, and you might want to think about cutting the bottom end a bit, then dropping them back into the mix a bit further.

* It sounds to me like the song is just within your range, and that you are pushing a bit to get the higher notes. At about 1.00 and the corresponding places elsewhere in the song I can hear a kind of strain in your voice, as if maybe you've done heaps of takes and your voice is getting tired. I don't know what you can do about this.

It's funny that you say that the song sounds like it is at the top of my range because it is actually quite low down in my range. While I did not feel strained while singing it, I was manipulating my tone to get it to sound the way it does.

This song is out of the norm for me, while I love to listen to rock and roll I generally sing stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtAUcEtFNyI and there you hear how Born To Be Wild is not really the top of my range.

Anyways, I will give'er another go and try to smooth it out a little bit more so that it doesn't sound strained.

I am going to take out a bit of the low end and drop it down in the mix. I will try to redo some parts of the vocal. Thanks for the comments. They are very helpful.

Very good imaging. Feels like the drums are behind the rest of the instruments and the voice is right up front stage. Nice work.

Very good imaging. Feels like the drums are behind the rest of the instruments and the voice is right up front stage. Nice work.

So in your opinion everything fits well together in this track?

The monitors are KRK 6s and no, I recorded the video after the audio.

I like the placement of the instruments and voice. I didn't see any reason to rehash what 4 others said about the vocals. It still sounds really good.
I have 5's and 8's and am about to trade my 5s off to my wife and get some M-Audio M3-8s. Everything here is in the intro stages. (Just ordered my 703 panels.)
So my ears may not be the most in tune, but I did like the mix.
:D Happy Recording.

I took many of the suggestions made here and implemented them. Lemme know what you think now.

Attachments

• BTBW2.mp3
    7.6 MB · Views: 18
BTBW2 (I listened to v1 as well).
Great song: I love the original but prefer the version on Slade Alive.
I'm a sad case though.
I can hear the tone you're aiming for - it's meant to be stressed/worn - you often achieve that.
Conversely on some sections I reckon you sound a little too relaxed.
Music is nicely done - though again - not as manic as I'd prefer.
Good job.

BTBW2 (I listened to v1 as well).
Great song: I love the original but prefer the version on Slade Alive.
I'm a sad case though.
I can hear the tone you're aiming for - it's meant to be stressed/worn - you often achieve that.
Conversely on some sections I reckon you sound a little too relaxed.
Music is nicely done - though again - not as manic as I'd prefer.
Good job.
I heard this when you first posted it a few days ago and thought your voice is great. I'm going by memory now because I'm at work and can't listen to anything. I didn't think it sounded at the top of your range, I think your voice is fantastic. If anything, it's all almost too clean and neat. The music, like Ray said, isn't as manic as I'd like it. It's more like a well sequenced karaoke track in the sense that there's no slime to it.

But overall, I think you're a great singer.

Thank you,I appreciate it! I have been training my voice for 7 years. I tried to tighten things up in the updated version. When you get a chance to hear it let me know if it is a little bit more successful in capturing the feel than the first. I took out some of the low end on the vocal and some other stuff.

Really good stuff.

My only comment would be, on the verses the words could hit more pronounced/stressed on the beat. But really, I would dare anyone to come close what you have presented.

First mix. Pretty good. There's something with the drums that needs attention, though. At first I thought they were too loud, and then I decided they were too forward, too dry. So...reverb maybe. Short room verbs, especially on the overheads and snare, is where I'd start.

Just for clarification - is this JUST a recording of your vocals over a backing track or is it a complete recording of music and voice done by you?

Just for clarification - is this JUST a recording of your vocals over a backing track or is it a complete recording of music and voice done by you?
I'm almost 100% sure it's just a vocal track. That's why i only commented on his voice. Like Dobro said, there would have been other things that needed addressing about the music, like the drum track, but I stuck to what I assumed he actually performed.

You guys are correct it is my vocal over an instrumental track. Sadly, I do not know how to play any instruments yet, but I am learning guitar at the moment. Anyways, the reason I did not mention it from the beginning is because I got bashed in the past on this forum or one like it, for posting a vocal cover where I had not mixed the instrumental track. I did not want that to happen again.

Back