• slinky

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • boomer

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • guitar strings suck

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've settled on Power Slinkys for my Ibanez because they just sound amazing on that guitar. For my SG I'm still undecided, I'm going to try some Dean Markleys and then maybe Boomers. One thing is for sure though, I have yet to play a guitar that sounded good with D'addarios, but I'm really picky with strings and as much as I want to try other things on my SG knowing me I'll probably go back to Slinkys and probably just put 11s on it because the 10s now are too damn bright and jangly. String gauge is still the biggest factor, as much as I like Slinkys I'd take a proper gauge set of another brand rather than a light set of Slinkys. I just like the tight feel of heavy strings and I don't downtune at all.

I wonder what type of carrot Zakk Wylde shoves up his ass. Hmmm, Hey hatbroke, can you tell me?

And to think, I've been using Boomers all these years and had absolutely no idea that Zakk used em. Man, now they sound better.

i voted slinkys, because ive never tried guitar boomers. the bass ones rock and i dont use anything else on bass. only problem with slinkys is, like someone pointed out at the beginning, they sound great for about a week and then they're dead. i use d'addarios now i find they sound good for longer.

if there was one person in the world whose musical cock i would most like to suck it wouuld fo sho be his

{{had absolutely no idea that Zakk used em. Man, now they sound better}} Man, that was funny! I prefer Boomers for bass since the mid seventies. Some stores didn't stock long scale back then.+ My 4003 now sounds better that Geddy Lee touched, or thought about it!! It has been blessed by his thoughts!...Does Roto Sound still make the Roundwounds? Haven't seen an ad in several yrs.?

cephus said:
....Fuck the environment. Gimme seperate envelopes.

I'm a twang guy so I have to use the EBs. The green pack "Regular slinky". God, I wish they put a sticker in those.

LMAO :D :D :D
It's so true. I really miss those stickers. BTW...I really love my Boomers. GHS Phosphor Bronze on all of my acoustics as well. But God, How I wish I could still get the stickers....

Slinky's seem almost kiddish. They're good for starting on, and can cover most ground. But after a while you start hunting and finding things that are better.

For me, I have DM Blue Steel. I put them on about 4 years ago, and never looked back. They cover the ground I need, super durable, sound good for a long time. Little more money than the el-cheapo slinky's, but it's worth it.

Anyone else use those strings? I don't seem to see a lot of people using them.....

You should give Newtone Master class strings a go for acoustic. Hand made in Derbyshire :)

They seem to reach pitch at a much lower tension than the Martins I had on my acoustic before did. Which has got to be a good thing (especially for the neck and my fingers).

myhatbroke said:
Zakk Wylde uses boomers. Are you up for drop tuning?? Thats what theyre for....

Actually Zakk uses the .60 & .70 guage boomers (low E string guage). I think they both start with a .11 guage (not sure on that).

Really, if you are going to do any drop tunning tuning below D, the GHS Boomers .60 & .70's are the way to go. I ran two sets of the .60 boomers on my old SG copy and they were great. I down to a droped C tuning and the tension of the strings was still strong. Drop 9's or 10's that far and the low string will start to flop.

But really the .60's and .70's are the ones that you would use for some serious drop tunnings...

Right now I tried for the first time some Exlixir's... I want to see how "anti-rust" these are and how well they will last me. So far I like how they feel and the I really can't hear a difference in tones verses the EB's .9s that I was using...

Back