Votes: 24 46.2%
  • boomer

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • guitar strings suck

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

random.hero

boomers or slinkeys? the strings i mean... dont get smart!
which is the better strings (i didnt include others because i like these both and wonderin which i should stick with)... im gonna let u guys decide my fate

Personnally I use Slinkys for years...

Really bright strings and a crystal clear sound...

The only thing is that after maximum 2 weeks they loose all their great sounding...

I've never played Boomers but they might be good... I heard good things about DR strings too...

Good luck!

I play nothing but DRs on electric and D'addario EXPs on acoustic....... Sad truth is that most strings are the same.. but ya get kinda attached to whatever youre using and stick with it.

The most important thing to me is that I use a gauge that fits the nut slots on the wound strings correctly.

myhatbroke said:
Zakk Wylde uses boomers. Are you up for drop tuning?? Thats what theyre for....

You have out-dumbed yourself once again. Boomers predate the downtuing fad by, oh, about twenty years.

Boomers are some sort of steel alloy wrap, they have a clean, neutral sound, and last a pretty long time. Slinkies (and EB in general) are nickle wrapped, and have more overtones to them. This can be problematic at high gain, or for piercing or flowing tones, but adds a nice grit for rock or blues. I hated 'em at first, but I use nickle on most of my guitars now (albeit GHS Nickle Rockers, by preference).

ermghoti said:
You have out-dumbed yourself once again. Boomers predate the downtuing fad by, oh, about twenty years.

Boomers are some sort of steel alloy wrap, they have a clean, neutral sound, and last a pretty long time. Slinkies (and EB in general) are nickle wrapped, and have more overtones to them. This can be problematic at high gain, or for piercing or flowing tones, but adds a nice grit for rock or blues. I hated 'em at first, but I use nickle on most of my guitars now (albeit GHS Nickle Rockers, by preference).

Interesting. I never took the time to figure out the difference, I just knew that when I put Slinkies on my guitar it seemed to sound a little more lively.
I've always told people I thought they sounded better, but I figured it was mostly all in my head.

I use nothing but Slinkies on my guitars.

Lively is one way to describe it. It also depends on what you are used to. I started off 100% Boomers for a few years, upon the recommendation of the guy that got me started. With my amp set to optimize Boomers, anything nickle sounded pretty wierd, sort of "sproingy," or like the wraps were rattling around the cores. Now that I am set up differently, they are great.

If you like EB, try Nickle Rockers, same idea, only MORE!

I also forgot: Boomers are brighter than the nickle stuff.

thanks for the help, ive decided ima try out some d'addario strings hehehe
my little brother put some on his guitar (actually that was my task, he got to frustrated trying to do so) and they sound beautiful...

if i dont like those ill go with boomers... thanks again!

The big differences between the two is that boomers wont break in the
middle of a gig,and they sound better longer.
I sweat profusely when I gig and it is pretty hard on a set of strings.Boomers
are the only thing I have found that can stand up to the punishment.
Slinky's have a real bright sound when you put them on.After an hr of sweat
and string bending they go dead as hell,or break.Boomers,on the other hand,
start out nice and even and stay that way until I change strings.(every 2
gigs,which is about 8 hrs of playing)

I personally like slinky's better for tonal quality but I need the goofy Zakk Wylde string gauges. No one else will give you such a fat e-string and still give you a plain g-string. It's hard to pinch and quickly bend a wound 24 g string.

i use skinny top/heavy bottem 10's slinkys on my strat in drop c tuning.

otherwise, super slinky or d'addario exl120's.

i like dean markley blue steels too though. the DR colored strings are cool too! i got them for my little brother for his bass and his guitar.

I used Boomers for many many years, but recently switched to D'Addario because of the cool color coded rings the string winds around!

Slinky's. I'm struggling to get a decent set of strings for my acoustic though, the best I've had so far are Rotosound *shudders* - any ideas for a bright clear sound?

I use nothing but slinkys, and all my guitars but one are in drop tunings.

I use Skinny Top, Heavy Bottoms (10-52s) or Beefy Slinky (11-54s). I like the "bite" Slinkys have, it seems to help me keep a crisp defined low-tuned tone as opposed to a loose, sloppy drop-tuned tone a lot of people seem to have.

holy sh1t... at the local wal*mart, they have a small musical instrument section, and they had boomers for 2.99 on clearance... :)

I only used boomers a couple times because most places in podunk treat them like boutique strings so they were more expensive.

When i was gigging three times a week, I used dean markleys and had a couple hundred of those stickers on everything I owned. I quit using them when they went to environmental packaging where each string doesn't come in it's own envelope (like d'addario). Fuck the environment. Gimme seperate envelopes.

I'm a twang guy so I have to use the EBs. The green pack "Regular slinky". God, I wish they put a sticker in those.

SHEPPARDB. said:
The big differences between the two is that boomers wont break in the
middle of a gig,and they sound better longer.
I sweat profusely when I gig and it is pretty hard on a set of strings.Boomers
are the only thing I have found that can stand up to the punishment.
Slinky's have a real bright sound when you put them on.After an hr of sweat
and string bending they go dead as hell,or break.Boomers,on the other hand,
start out nice and even and stay that way until I change strings.(every 2
gigs,which is about 8 hrs of playing)

maybe it's your guitar, because i beat the shit out of my guitar and sweat and spit all over the thing and we play 5 nights a week(practice or gig) and we practice just as hard as we gig, and they last me tone wise about 2 weeks and I rarley ever break a string, maybe 2 in the past 4 years and that was only when we weren't playin any shows and I got lazy and didn't change the strings after a couple weeks of intense practicing. I've been using EB power slinky's for a long time and they have been great. JUst my experience.

TheCoroner said:
maybe it's your guitar, because i beat the shit out of my guitar and sweat and spit all over the thing and we play 5 nights a week(practice or gig) and we practice just as hard as we gig, and they last me tone wise about 2 weeks and I rarley ever break a string, maybe 2 in the past 4 years and that was only when we weren't playin any shows and I got lazy and didn't change the strings after a couple weeks of intense practicing. I've been using EB power slinky's for a long time and they have been great. JUst my experience.
I guess it comes down to what works best for each of us.The slinkys just dont do it for me.I imagine that it has to do with the type of alloy they are
made with.
BTW,when I say I sweat profusely,I do mean profusely.When my clothing dries
there are salt deposits on them.

Back