BM5a Dynaudio Powered studio monitors

5ergo, what size of room do you use and what volume do you typically mix at?

interesting, this thread. I plan to crank some up Dyn5's at GC today...full blast... see if the led's blow out and the speakers blow!!! jus kiddn.. :p

seriosuly, do you think its the speakers or the amp not getting the volume?

are you saying the 5A's don't go the typical 80-85db, the Henry munster curve and all that?

well, the GC sample was interesting.

I used their setup and the board. As I have stated several times, the speakers were all fhkd up...the left and the right messed up...

anyway. There were about 4 sets plugged into the GC board correctly.
Ran off toggle switches.

So I started with the DYN5A.....beautiful sounding speaker imo. I want some...

I cranked it until the red lights were on full glow....it was loud but the sound very nice. I left these blowing away with the red clip light on.

Then I flipped a switch to the Alesis M1....they blew...rumbled blammm..muffllledd......garbeldegook.... blahsville.

Then I flipped to the Mackie8".....not bad...a lot more bass...no problem.

Then I did the small new Yahamha's with the attractive piano look, ebony and ivory.... they couldn't take it either....I think I may have blown those.

The The BX5's ...very impressive. They took the volume and almost made me wonder why people spend $1,000 on speakers?

Then back to the DYN's...and I reminded myself. :D

I then proceeded to the Guitar Area...
to see if I could blow out some Marshal cabinets... jus kiddin'

...............oooooooooooooooooookay.............. :D

one thing that i've never said is that the maudio 5's DO seem to have a good bit more bass when you crank the crap out of em. but it's not "truthful" and you can't rely on it for mixing. plus, it just plain HURTS to listen to em like that for long.

the mackie 824's i found to have really over-exaggerated bass. like someone put a +10dB shelf starting around 150.

did i miss the reason you went to GC to abuse monitors? 85dB really isn't all that loud--it's roughly conversation level.

cheers,
wade

thats funny, good point on the length of time and ear fatigue. I didn't do a session. The 824 had the bass boost, I agree, probably don't need a sub on this one.

for me, I still liked the DYN5A the best. They had some Blue SKys which I liked too at another store. but the BluesSKys were plugged in over by a pc desk.

All I'm doing is checking out the DYN5A's (repeatedly) as I can't afford them now anyway.

This thread made me wonder about the volume level ability. I did notice the LED going red previously, but just turned down the slider.

Their plenty loud for me. I love my YSM1P's too. For the money, no complaints.

For $1,000 monitor, my expectations go up considerably.

Cool, I always enjoy seeing others' opinion of monitors I've heard--kind of a reality check for my own ears--but one question always comes to mind, which I seldom see mentioned: did you adjust the EQ switches on the back of any of these monitors? I once checked these switches at my local GC and found them in disarray, as if they made no difference in the sound. I can understand why the GC folks can't check these constantly with all of the looky-loos in the sound room, so I think it's up to us to check.

Did you hapen to notice, and if so, did you set them all to flat? Even that tricky little "acoustic space" switch on some monitors can really change the overall sound, yet I'd guess that even some sales folks are not quite sure what it is and how to use it.

Anyhow, thanks for the reviews everyone. I think I'll pop down to my GC and take a test ride myself in the next month, but I'll leave my wallet at home.

J.

Disarray at GC

no, and your right...none of them were known settings.

in the Dallas, Plano store "disarray" is an understatement.
1 out of 10 trips the speakers aren't even hooked up correctly...
often the left is a Yamaha and the right is a KRK for example!! :eek:

I highly doubt anyone has taken the time. If the mentality doesn't even care about the right brands would they care about the eq settings or volume being the same? or flat?

I think 4 out of 10-11 sets were hooked up correctly. L&R matched.

Its a WalMart enviroment, so I don't blame the workers really. After re-doing it 100 times I'd probably say hell with it too.

I use the Dynaudio's

and it was an excellent move. Basically, I was recommended to the Genelecs- but didn't wan't to fork over the cash. Basically, it was price for what I needed- there are no URIE'S in my bedroom studio :)

I was really interested in the Event, but it was pretty clear that the Dynaudios were, at least to me, much more truthful and accurate. The Gen's were nicer, but just more than I wanted to spend.

Good call with the DynAudio's- enjoy them.

Back