BM5a Dynaudio Powered studio monitors

:D Now that Halloween is done, Happy Thanksgiving.

Anybody out there experience or use the Dynaudio powered monitors?

I'm researching the new BM5A speakers.

They don't weigh much, less than 20 pounds.

Any info would be appreciated as I've never heard them.

Thanks,
Green Hornet :D

Yo, Hornet...you'll have better luck over at Gearslutz...most of us here are too cheap to buy Dynaudios!

I'd buy them from reputation alone, as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Yo TDukex:

Thanks very much for your input. I'm not buying them tomorrow but I like to get as much info as I can before I buy. Or, I try to hear the speakers if possible. I can always send them back to my vendor but try not to do that.

Have a good one and thanks again.

Hornet, the most interesting review of them I've read was in Tape Op a few issues back. Two cats, at two different studios, reviewed them, side by side: one decided to buy them, one didn't. Both raved about the clarity, but the clarity was actually too much for one specific (live mix) application. Very interesting, entertaining review, though, which made me wish I were rich enough to consider some Dynos.

J.

I have a post here somewhere where I did a shootout between the BM5a's, Tannoy Reveals, and KRK V8 (I think). I walked out w/ the Dynaudios and haven't looked back. The only thing I find with them is they overload out quite fast. But for nearfielding in a smallish room, I think they are great. You don't "feel" the bass but you can hear where it is. The older version of the KRK V8's are in the studio I track at, and they would be waay overkill for my little mixing room.

I know it isn't the greatest setting but your local GC would probably have them set up to listen to. I checked out a pair there and they were very very nice. Much better sounding than pretty much anything they had on the floor. By the way, what does the fact they weigh 20lbs have to do with anything?

I Have These They Sound Kind Of Cool. Save Up For Something In The 10k Range Though If You Want.another Choice If You Don't Have 10-15k To Spend Is The Adam A7.

:D Yo & Yo & YO:

Thank you ALL for the info and opinions and your talents.

The "20" pounds of each Dynaudio kind of caught my eye. My Events seem a tad heavier but that doesn't mean much. Thanks Jonny C.

I did find some photos of the monitors and the photos illlustrated the "guts" wiring, etc. Looks like some $$$ go into the manufacture of these speakers.

Surprised to also find some different models of the Dynos go for even bigger bucks. Across the board, the BM 5A units go for 499 pezzutos EACH; so, 1K is involved. As far as the Adams, they are great stuff but a bit more than I want to spend. I think the BEAR uses Adams and he heard some stuff in a CD I sent him that I didn't think could be heard.

Thanks a bunch. Have a great turkey time and holiday season.

The Adams Are The Same Price As The Bm5a's. Also, If You Can Swing It, Try To Get Something In The 10-15k Range, You Won't Regret It.

I read all the good reviews and heard the BM5A's, now GC is carrying them.

Someone posted the "quick overload"...I never really blew them out or anything in the store, but I do recall the yellow/orangish lite on them coming on. they aren't huge and were the best imo, best clarity to my ears which doesn't mean anything to you.

I also have a craving for the Blue Skys 1's at this price and funny they sound similiar to the Dyns to me. It'd be a hard decision.

don't think anything cranks up like the KRK;s their fhkng loud and seem to like the hard driving!!.. but thats too much for my small place.

one thing about Dyn I never understood is the naming of BM5'a's for the 6.5" speakers...and the others are BM15's but they aren't 15's..there's probably some engineering reason the nomenclature is what it is.

hope to hear your report. good luck

Green Hornet,

Let me just drop in here and say that if you get a chance - take a listen to the JBL LSR 4326's or 28's - The 26's can be had for about the same price - I just went Monitor shopping a month and a half ago and it came down to the JBL's and the Dyns. I love the Dyns - always have but these JBL's are just stunning - Thought I would have buyer's remorse - Not one bit!!

Check em out if you can - definitely worthy of consideration if you are going to spend this kind of money :)

Peace

jonnyc said:
Get ther fuck outta here, you're a terrible troll. Not even remotely funny.

the adams are really only a grand, they're brand new and the lowest priced speaker they make. I thought it was weird too considering the price of their other monitors. on the other hand if you have money to buy the best monitors available, or can save up for it, you won't regret it. I heard a pair of 15k costing monitors and they sounded so good. If I had more money I would sell my bm5a's and get those. Maybe in a few years. I can't get that sound out of my head. But he also had some crazy digital outputs powering them, so maybe that made a huge difference? He wouldn't even tell me how much those were, just "alot". All I know is that I could hear every detail of every instrument it seemed like. The bass sounded so good, but I didn't get to hear one of my crappy mixes through it, so who knows? I still think for that sound it is worth the money if you have it.

:D Yo DK:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the JBL. I know JBLs are also good monitors.

My studio is in a small room in mi hacienda so I look for clarity rather than extreme power; however, some power is good too. I guess, as pointed out, it's all in one's ears--but it's easy to notice the difference between a frugal pair of monitors and a better built pair.

I just got a new cordless Uniden 5.8 GHz phone to replace a similar model made by GE. From former experience, I know Uniden is a decent product. From the very first "beep" of the Uniden, the sound was amazing--clear and not blaring. Same is true for the "rings" and reception.

So, I guess my phone comparison might hold some truth with monitors. Again, we have room size, additional recording gear, and "ears." I guess that's why recording is so much fun.

Thanks ALL again.

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo DK:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the JBL. I know JBLs are also good monitors.

My studio is in a small room in mi hacienda so I look for clarity rather than extreme power; however, some power is good too. I guess, as pointed out, it's all in one's ears--but it's easy to notice the difference between a frugal pair of monitors and a better built pair.

I just got a new cordless Uniden 5.8 Gz phone to replace a similar model made by GE. From former experience, I know Uniden is a decent product. From the very first "beep" of the Uniden, the sound was amazing--clear and not blaring.

So, I guess my phone comparison might hold some truth with monitors. Again, we have room size, additional recording gear, and "ears." I guess that's why recording is so much fun.

Thanks ALL again.

the bm5a's are clear, but not very powerful. I don't know about the a7's, but I THINK they are the same wattage, not that that means a whole lot.

i listened to the 5a's and the 6a's when i was auditioning monitors a while back, and found the Event ASP8's to be much more along the lines of what i was looking for. there just wasn't enough "girth" to the dynaudio sound for my liking.

as i've said here and elsewhere, it was like night and day in terms of my mixing enjoyment and mix translation once i made the step up to "good" monitors.

YMMV....monitors are a very personal choice......good luck! honestly, as long as you're looking at something "quality", you can't really go wrong.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
YMMV....monitors are a very personal choice......good luck! honestly, as long as you're looking at something "quality", you can't really go wrong.

cheers,
wade

this is the key, personal choice.
I like all the monitors, but they all sound different. imo,
all having nearly the same spec sheets? hehe

so workmanship, or lack there of, maybe another issue..
once you have your selections down to a few.

with nearly everything built in china, my current philosphy is you just have to try a pile of them to ensure you get a good set, one where everything works and there aren't cosmetic defects....a good warranty is a really nice option.

mrface2112 said:
i listened to the 5a's and the 6a's when i was auditioning monitors a while back, and found the Event ASP8's to be much more along the lines of what i was looking for. there just wasn't enough "girth" to the dynaudio sound for my liking.

as i've said here and elsewhere, it was like night and day in terms of my mixing enjoyment and mix translation once i made the step up to "good" monitors.

cheers,
wade

Yeah, when I was auditioning monitors, the two sets that really impressed me were the Dynaudio BM5a's and the Event SP8's. I ended up with KRK RP8's because that was all I could afford, and they sounded very similar to the BM5a's.

To my ears, the BM5a's are about the smoothest-responding and highest-clarity monitor I've heard, but they're meant for reasonable-volume mixing, not shaking a room. I also loved the SP8's because they have a great low end and tons of detail on the high end (almost too much)... and they COULD shake the room! If I can ever afford to, I'd love to get both pairs so I can A/B back and forth - they're kind of on different ends of the spectrum, so I figure if I had both I could find a good middle ground to be in. But if I had to choose one? I'd go with the BM5a's. Unless you really need to crank up your monitors, you'll love them.

personally, i found the low end on the dynaudio 5a's to be lacking--at least in terms of what i was looking for. i didn't want to have to *crank* the monitors to get them to push some air and hit me in the chest, and that's what it seemed like i had to to with that set of dyns.

the ASP8s, on the other hand, seemed to kick pretty hard at a low volume, which is exactly what i was looking for. i don't like to monitor at loud volumes, so having that thump there without moving a ton of air was essential. the dyns just didn't compare in that regard. overall i liked the way the dyns sounded and am sure i could work on em just fine......they just weren't what i was looking for.

so far, i've had absolutely zero problem getting mixes to translate with the ASP8s......so for me, they work like i wanted them to. :D plus, i just plain enjoy listening to them. i'll find myself working on something, stopping to cross reference something else, and then end up listening to music for the next 2 hours. oh the horror.

cheers,
wade

Back