Black CD copies are better than the originals?!?

Simmons

This is a really interesting article about black CDs and audio duplication that I came across while looking for a CD replication company. I thought I'd pass it along because I've never heard any of this before….

The guy is obviously borderline obsessive compulsive (no offense Gary). I DID find myself wondering if he was really hearing some of these differences or was that just how he felt that day. I'm sure he's probably taking the gravitation spin of the earth and barometric pressure into account while he burns his test copies.

http://www.genesis80.com/whitepaper/Black_CDsII.pdf

"Listening tests." He uses "listening tests." Jeez, how scientifically rigorous can you get?

"Listening tests."

Has he ever heard of error-checking software?

Or is that a rude question?

That picture of Arnie on page two is downright creeEEpy.
It looks like he should be holding a knife instead of a c.d.

Bo0oga B0o0Gaa!!!

He doesn't explicitly state it, but I inferred that he believes his copies are superior to the originals because the silver pressings have timing errors due to poor quality control at the plant, which he can somehow rectify by copying the data to a HD and burning his own CD-Rs. But you have to listen to the CD-Rs on his company's speakers through 7 gauge silver wire while wearing an tinfoil hat (not aluminum, too much magnetic flux resonance). And don't move the mouse! That makes the cymbals too harsh!!!

shouldn't they be red CD's?? Since it's called a Red Book CD?? :D :p

this reminds me of a story i heard about someone who went to Best Buy. He overheard a conversation the sales guy was having with a woman who was buying a CD burner. He said the unit was great, but every once and awhile she needed to unplug it and shake it upside down a little bit. When the customer asked why, he said because of the little pieces of CD that come off when you're burning it!!!

This guy is nuts.

Roger Nichols, whom I often don't understand technically but respect for his understanding of digital technology, has pretty much concluded that the differences in sound come from clocking problems, not error rates, or magic rays, or anything. He's written a bunch of articles on this topic. Most of the relevant ones come from his experiences trying to get a good glass master of the newest Steely Dan album. This very thing came up. Same exact data, different sound.

I am planning to use Black CD-R for an upcoming project release (500copies) cos they look cool.... :)

any issues with black CD-Rs? are they as compatible as normal CD-R that can be played on most CD player....?

...well, I'm definitely going with the black CD's for my next project...I've reeaaaallly been trying to get that "foot-tappity-ness" sound in my mixes and I think the black CD's may do the trick.

Back