Bit of a dilema

whayy nice one man, that sounds pretty damn gd, nice mix man. What gear did u use to record this? The firepod with what else?
xxx

thanks dude.

you know, i genuinely can't remember for sure. it was about 4 or 5 years ago and my memory sucks, bu i know i did vocals on a rode nt1a and i owned an mxl990.

i suppose that recording isn't a great example cos only vocals,acoustic guitar and lead guitar are miced,and bass is di.
piano is electric(line in), kit is a software package, strings are synths, but still, u get the idea from it.

Just a thought. Cubase mentions something called an "Audio Engine" I would think it effects the audio quality. Does anyone know if Protools(strictly software) would generate a better quality than say Free or less expensive software?

yer i think most people who have commented on this thread so far have said pro tools is pretty much no better than reaper, well thats the jist i get?
xx

yeh, i mean, it's hard to say x is better than y or vice versa cos there are so many different aspects to what we all do.

reaper might have easier to use automation, but protools might have handier effects/bus routing....idk

but in my opinion,,,without any doubt at all...the best tool for any job is the one you know how to use.

there's more to it,obviously, but it's kinda like asking which screwdriver is best, but overlooking the fact that all you wana do is put in a screw!

also, the clips that i posted were done in sony vegas 7.
i've been using protools for a few years now and have NO problems with it at all...i love it.

but if i had to start from scratch again, i wouldn't go down the PT road.

yer thats fair enough. Also mate, what else did u use in those recordings? was it simply mic to firepod to pc via firewire? or was there more to it? The quality of recording is pretty gd for a basic set up if so?
xx

yehp.simple as that!

mic-firepod-pc

nothin fancy, nothin hidden. didn't even use 3rd party plugs. just basic eqs etc.

i'm not gona say that those recordings are great, cos i don't think they are.

but you seem to be impressed with them, which IMO, proves the whole point of this thread.

less is more. get an interface and keep life nice and simple. :)

Just a thought. Cubase mentions something called an "Audio Engine" I would think it effects the audio quality. Does anyone know if Protools(strictly software) would generate a better quality than say Free or less expensive software?

As has been said, many times before, on other threads: no.

Personally, I'd say: doubtful.

Dr. V

I'm not saying that. I'm simply answering the question as honestly as I can.

In theory, because they can all render to the same bit resolution, there's no reason for any of them to make a different result, when it comes to the data. What might make a difference, are possibly more expensive FX plugins that might be in use within the industry...?

What matters to me is how my set up sounds. I have no other comparrison to go by, other than comparing my own sound to commercial CDs.

Dr. V

Last edited:
firepod for the win! i own one, and am currently working on some demos. its a beast, and if you rack it, it looks sweet and performs well!

i think varney thinks i should go a different route?
xx

To be honest, I think if you've sat down and done your homework, then you might be better informed than I am on current prices. It's been a while since I went looking at interfaces.

I might have forgotten to mention, my entire rig is made up of 2nd user parts. I didn't start out with a budget you see, I simply assembled it as I went along and it's still growing.

I thought posting what I use might be of some help. I love having the analogue mixer with all my physical connections within easy reach. At the end of the day, it's your choice that counts - based on what suits you best.

Dr. V

See the only thing i am worried about in getting the firpod is in expansion? i mean when i look at peoples studios on here and other places on the internet everyone seems to have a mixer and im guessing its for good reason? Would the firepod be something i will be using when i get more gear and learn more about recording? or will i have to upgrade the firepod?
xx

that's just the way of the world man.

i totally understand where you're coming from here, and i'm guessing if this thread only got one response which was "hell yeah! buy a mixer" you'd probably have been super chuffed and learned a lot and what not, but you'd still want to upgrade sometime if you stick at HR.

my first rig, and i mean that in the fisherprice sense, was a terratec ews88mt interface (8 line ins) and a behringer 24 channel mixer from which i took 8 direct outs!
i thought i was the shit cos i had a mixer and it looked cool and all the rest, but i very very very quickly grew out of it.

i (stupidly) replaced it with a digi001, just as they discontinued support for them and again, swiftly grew out of it.

next step was a firepod, and this is the point where i felt like i was actually starting to know what i was doing, and actually starting to get a good sound.

the next step was where i am now with the digi 003 and focusrite octopre and a couple of extra pres.

if i was doing it again, i'd definitely start at firepod level AND, instead of upgrading, i would have bought the 003 and kept the firepod for portable recording with a laptop!

obviously, i'm trying to encourage you to go one way rather than the other,based on my experience, but at the same time, there's nothing wrong with setting up around an analogue mixer. plenty of people around here have done that.

i'd just recommend researching like hell and asking those who use them, so you know you're getting a good piece of gear that will last you. It's just too easy to buy a shitty mixer these days! lol.

Back