best way to retain high end?

Sillyhat said:
Have you taken so much of it that you forgot what it was, or are you doing PCP -laced pot?...

Yo, Sillyhat! I have a question for you. What was exactly the reason you've made your posts at this thread? (Besides showing of your ugly hat)
That hat, btw, looks good on you.
later,

FALKEN said:
ey man! relax! re-read your post. you said the "perfect" control room.
have a laugh or something.
Hah-hah.
I'm laughin' :D Now, what?
You' see, I love humor and all that....
I don't like sh*t. Nobody likes sh*t. You know that. :)

/respects

man. so I had my drummer over this weekend to do some tracks for our band's songs. we've got maybe 12 songs (about 30 minutes). It took three rolls of tape and an entire weekend to get some good takes. one of the rolls we gave up on and re-used. and this is only keeping the takes that we might end up having to use so keep that one, you know? I had my bass player plugged in in the control room (my office) and I played through a sans amp and sang in the control room to give our drummer something to play with in the headphones. Now I've gotta go back and do the guitars, vocals, and bass. but all of the "Keeper" takes are like, sporadically ridden throughout the separate rolls. do you guys normally go and splice up one tape to use from here on out? I'm usually only recording myself so I get all the "keeper" takes on one roll...this is crazy.

FALKEN said:
.....all of the "Keeper" takes are like, sporadically ridden throughout the separate rolls.......do you guys normally go and splice up one tape to use from here on out?

Maybe you could start a new thread with that question.

Dr ZEE said:
Yo, Sillyhat! I have a question for you. What was exactly the reason you've made your posts at this thread? (Besides showing of your ugly hat)
That hat, btw, looks good on you.
later,
I was going to answer the original question, but the thread was so far off track by the time I came across it, there was no point.

Then I found your 'down with the establishment' posts laughable. The whole 'your reality is more real (authentic, etc.) than mine' attitude is that of a pot smoking philosophy student. You know the kind, the ones that think they have figured out the secret of life that the 'brainwashed masses' are to stupid/brainwashed to see. (even though they are living off of their parents in some dorm room setting and have never had actual reality affect them)

You also seem to think that making things harder to accomplish makes them more valid. It doesn't. Trying to mix in a bad room is like trying to adjust the color on your tv while wearing Blue Blocker sunglasses. It's just stupid and avoidable. Sort of like you.

Sillyhat said:
I was going to answer the original question, but the thread was so far off track by the time I came across it, there was no point.

Then I found your 'down with the establishment' posts laughable. The whole 'your reality is more real (authentic, etc.) than mine' attitude is that of a pot smoking philosophy student. You know the kind, the ones that think they have figured out the secret of life that the 'brainwashed masses' are to stupid/brainwashed to see. (even though they are living off of their parents in some dorm room setting and have never had actual reality affect them)

You also seem to think that making things harder to accomplish makes them more valid. It doesn't. Trying to mix in a bad room is like trying to adjust the color on your tv while wearing Blue Blocker sunglasses. It's just stupid and avoidable. Sort of like you.

The real issue here is that what sounds good is subjective and what works for one person might not work for another. Meaning that You are ALL wrong!! Ethan, Dr. Zee, and you. Because you are making the assumption that the way you do it is the best way and will work for everyone else. Which is the main problem I have with christians and other religious-types who try to convert you.

Back on subject now...

Hey Falken, have you ever tried a stereo graphic EQ to tweak the composite audio?

Back in my early portastudio home-recording days I used the lowly TEAC GE-20. That, plus using the right tape, and later using a BBE Sonic Maximizer helped me squeeze out the most from the cassette format.

I would recommend a stereo 15-band. Anything more and you’re back to pulling your hair out with tweaking. So a 1/3-octave beast would be overkill for stereo mastering IMO, but 10-band maybe not enough control.

-Tim :)

P.S. I was making contemporary Christian music at the time... but I won't try to convert you... :p

Beck,

sure have. worked great.

but like I said already, I think the best way to keep the high end is just to capture it that way.

I was recording drums this weekend to GP-9 (experimenting with no NR) and I put a 4050 and a 4033 above the kit in M/S. I also put a re-20 about 2' above the snare pointing down. the drummer kept moving it once I was back in my office (I HATE DRUMMERS - I SHOULD HAVE HAD HIS HANDS CUT OFF) and the cymbals came out overly bright on the second half of the songs. I think this is preferrable to not bright enough because I can always cut later. Boosting just adds noise though.

FALKEN said:
(I HATE DRUMMERS - I SHOULD HAVE HAD HIS HANDS CUT OFF)

You can do that in Iran, depending on what he's done. But the music sucks over there...

Beck said:
You can do that in Iran, depending on what he's done. But the music sucks over there...

That depressing call to prayer 5 times a day is kinda bluesy though. :D

FALKEN said:
Because you are making the assumption that the way you do it is the best way and will work for everyone else. Which is the main problem I have with christians and other religious-types who try to convert you.
I make no assumption. I am just pointing out that Dr. Zee has a very closed -minded way of advocating open-mindedness. The irony is staggering.

Of course you need to do what works for you, but violently avoiding an obvious possible solution, just because it's what everyone else does, is just silly. Offering a contrarian view as 'advise' is irresponsible.

Beck said:
That depressing call to prayer 5 times a day is kinda bluesy though. :D

They really should have the Wiggles do the call to prayer... start the day off right... put a spring in the step.

Ya think this thread will ever recover? :)

Attachments

• wiggles2.jpg
    wiggles2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 42
To answer your original question:

When I was recording on 2 inch, I always added high end to stuff that I knew would need it. (like kick drums on a metal album) Kind of like pre-emphasis, so that I didn't have to add it during the mix. (because that would also add tape hiss)

It all depends on if you don't have enough high end and/or your have too much lower mid. Both cause the same problem, but require different solutions. Too much lower mids can be solved by mic placement of EQ.

Sillyhat said:
I was going to answer the original question, but the thread was so far off track by the time I came across it, ....
When you get only one and only "track of thinking" in your head - everything what's off YOUR track is "off track" period. It's not my fault, that God has deprived you with mind tracks. You can try to develop some on your own, if it's not to late.
Sillyhat said:
....there was no point.
And so you have not offered a dime.
Sillyhat said:
Then I found your 'down with the establishment' posts laughable. .
and so you were laughing.
Sillyhat said:
You know the kind, the ones that think they have figured out the secret of life ...
No I don't know. But you sure have figured it all out. For you there are no secrets at all. Again I don't know. You do sound like you have figured it all out. Guys who still figuring something out are "laughable for you".... that's how I figured, that you have figured IT ALL.
Still laughing? I think so.
Sillyhat said:
...'brainwashed masses' are to stupid/brainwashed to see.
Anyone who is brainwashed have trouble to see, not because of being stupid, but because of being brainwashed.
Sillyhat said:
... (even though they are living off of their parents in some dorm room setting and have never had actual reality affect them)...
My parents are dead many years ago and their bones are feeding the soil on the other side of the planet. So your fantasy again does nothing but one thing - it does show you as an arrogant ass.
Sillyhat said:
You also seem to think that making things harder to accomplish makes them more valid...
WOW! you are using word "seem". That's a change. OK, now maybe we can have a conversation here? ...Yeah, maybe....
So, Does making things easier to accomplish make them more valid? Does it? Always? Sometimes? Maybe? Depends?
I assume you are still laughing. I may be wrong though.
Sillyhat said:
Trying to mix in a bad room is like trying to adjust the color on your tv while wearing Blue Blocker sunglasses. It's just stupid...
Stupid? Is it really? Even if you are adjusting color on the TV for the audience wearing Blue Blocker sunglasses?
What? Are you thinking now? Having hard time? It's O.K. I understand, it's hard with only one track available.
I doubt that you are still laughing, though. But who knows. You may. And if you still do, then you have no hope. Or let's just say: you are permanently happy.

Sillyhat said:
....avoidable. Sort of like you.
I wish you were.

/later

FALKEN said:
The real issue here is that what sounds good is subjective and what works for one person might not work for another. Meaning that You are ALL wrong!! Ethan, Dr. Zee, and you. Because you are making the assumption that the way you do it is the best way and will work for everyone else..
Yes. If the "issue" is - to prove MY way to be the only way - then at the end all participants end up wrong (or maybe better to say: end up where they started - right in their mind and wrong in the other's).
If the "issue" is what ever the "issue is" and it stays that way, and particapants offer their views on the "issue" without replacing the "issue" with an agenda - then at the end all the participants are right.
I don't see anything unnatural in the situation when during the discussion of the "issue" an offered opinion consequentially becomes an "issue" of the discussion. (Simply because an offered opinion may trigger an alternative(s)).
Just like the opinion, that acoustic treatment of the control room is a clear and must-have solution which will lead you to the "best way to retain high end? " may trigger an alternative(s).
So, let's see :D
FALKEN said:
.... Which is the main problem I have with christians and other religious-types who try to convert you.
Are you saying that secular-types do not try to convert you?
:D :D :D
see, what I mean? You say a word - you get a distorted, reverberated and, sometimes, delayed echo, aka reply. No "acoustic treatment" can prevent it. The only way to avoid an alternative opinion is to stay silent. To ensure the Welfare of Self-Righteousness - do not say a word. :D

/respects

Dr ZEE said:
No I don't know.
You should get out more

Dr ZEE said:
My parents are dead many years ago and their bones are feeding the soil on the other side of the planet. So your fantasy again does nothing but one thing - it does show you as an arrogant ass.
I said you sounded like them, not you were one of them. You need to pay attention.

Dr ZEE said:
So, Does making things easier to accomplish make them more valid? Does it?
My point is: How hard it is to do something has no bearing on its validity. The two are not related.
Dr ZEE said:
Stupid? Is it really? Even if you are adjusting color on the TV for the audience wearing Blue Blocker sunglasses?
It's only a good idea if the audience is wearing Blue Blockers. The reality is that you have no control over what your audience is or is not wearing. If you adjust it for the Blue Blockers, the people with Raybans won't get the same effect.

Dr ZEE said:
What? Are you thinking now? Having hard time?
No.
Dr ZEE said:
I doubt that you are still laughing
You're right, I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

Back