Best sounding tambourine??

Hoodoo said:
Some of us work in "quiet" environments (kids asleep at night), so having a sampled tambo is a necessity. I've written drum tracks on my old Roland R-70 drum machine with tambos that sounded great (real).

I'm looking for a free soundfont or wav file with decent tambo sounds to use in my sequencer.

I'm glad that I was never overly quiet around my daughter. Normal sounds (music, tv, conversation) don't wake her up at all.

Some tambourines are REALLY quiet. I was playing with some at a music store and there is this really old single row one that I want to go back and get, dark, dry, quiet, tuneable head. I should have just bought it that day.

Whatever you decide upon, Ive found a brass tambourine much easier to mix than the nickle ones. They're really not that hard to record. I usually mic up my rhythmtech brass tambourine with a shure 545 or 57 about 2-3 feet back and place it low in the mix. Highpass everything below 400-500 cycles, add some plate reverb. I generally place it volume wise to where I can hear it then move it back a few dbs more to where I can "feel" it more than "hear" it. Oh, I usually pan it from about 9 to 11 o'clock.

I know this thread is from four years ago, but definetely the best person to check out for tambourine technique is ray cooper. Watch him in "Brothers in Arms" from the 1997 Music for Montesserat Concert, it will blow your mind (at least, it blew mine)

lol@ people that think they're all the same...
consider also, thinking outside of western popular music, where the tambourine has dozens if not hundreds of variants - builds, styles and techniques, and is actually considered an instrument in it's own right, solo or accompaniment.

Those 'things' are called "jingles" in the west, usually... or 'zils' if you're in the middle east or Mediterranean.

I'm surprised Dr. Zaragemca hasn't been on this thread to exercise his percutive mastery in front of all of us stupified and amazed "non-Ph.D's"

I'm surprised Dr. Zaragemca hasn't been on this thread to exercise his percutive mastery in front of all of us stupified and amazed "non-Ph.D's"

Now you've done it. You've gone and uttered his name. PhilGood's gonna be in here any second now--and he won't be happy. He's just plain ol' heartbroken--he hasn't heard from Dr. Z in a while, and well, he's worried sick.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

My sincerest apologies Dr. Notjostowonnobe.

:D

And PhilGood...I'm sure he's fine. He's bound to be on any day now to tell us about all the exciting plans he has for this weekend.

consider also, thinking outside of western popular music, where the tambourine has dozens if not hundreds of variants - builds, styles and techniques, and is actually considered an instrument in it's own right, solo or accompaniment.

Those 'things' are called "jingles" in the west, usually... or 'zils' if you're in the middle east or Mediterranean.

Like playing at "Riq's Place" ........... with Sam on piano? :-D

Lol @ this post.

I, for one, am waiting patiently for Dr. Z -- and once again, if weekend plans are included, I'm hopin' it's before the event and not after. I'm bringing my tambourine.

Back