Best sounding tambourine??

nick6572

I am looking for the best possible tambourine I can find. Has anyone out there any suggestions? I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who has used a Grover, Black Swamp or the Yamaha YT 300. Are they worth the money?

The only way to know is to hear them all, and then decide.

Is that vague enough? Sorry, I have no experience with tambourines. Just wanted to say hi! :cool:

the tamborine doesn't seem to be an excessively complex instrument...

I can't imagine there is that much disparity among the different tamborine makers...

But then again, what the hell do I know? I play guitar and keyboards...so I use sampled tamborines

What about SAMPLED tambourine sounds?

I have been seeking some decent SAMPLED tambourine sounds?

Can anyone recommend a soundfont or soft-synth with GOOD tambourine sounds, preferably something that sounds good at differing tempos?

There seems to be a LOT of variety in tambourine sounds, at least to my ears. I would go to a music store and just shake away, then pick the one you like best or suits your musical style.

I haven't come across any good tambourine soundfonts (although there might be some), but I've seen quite a few loop libraries that have them, usually in the percussion folder of drum loop CD's. The advantage to "acidized" loops is that they adjust to the tempo of your song.

This topic sat here for 6 days without a reply. I was beginning to think I was the only who had any interest. I hear several very different tambourine sounds as I listen to recorded music. From the high pitched crisp "wet" sound to the lower more "dry" sounds with lots of stuff inbetween. The popular tambourines made by LP and Rhythm Tech are available in steel (bright) or brass (dark) only.I was flipping through a drum catalogue the other day and came across a Grover tambourine available with Germine Silver, Phosper Bronze or Beryllium Copper jingles and was curious as to what a "high end" instrument would sound like. No stores here in Phoenix carry them so thats why I threw up this post to see if any of you had heard them.
Yesterday I was lucky enough (I think)to grab a very expensive ($105) brass jingle Vaughncraft tambourine on Ebay for $40. I am very curious to hear what a $105 tambourine sounds like.

I was shown that taping off a portion of the -just realized I don't know what they're called :eek:- metal pieces, is a way to control and vary the character of the tamb. Seems to push it to a bit 'cleaner sound in general.
Wayne

SAMPLED tamborines? Why in the world would anyone buy a cd for tamborine samples when a decent tamborine costs less than 15 bucks, takes ten minutes to learn to play, and is relatively easy to record?

noiseportrait said:
SAMPLED tamborines? Why in the world would anyone buy a cd for tamborine samples when a decent tamborine costs less than 15 bucks, takes ten minutes to learn to play, and is relatively easy to record?

10 Minutes!! Screw that!

:)

noiseportrait said:

15 bucks! No way!

I recently recorded a song in which someone in the band used a cheap guitar center tambourine. I was a little worried about how it was going to turn out, but it actually came out great. It probably helped that it wasn't a dominant feature in the song, but I was surprised at how good the $15 tambourine sounded.

noiseportrait said:

Some of us work in "quiet" environments (kids asleep at night), so having a sampled tambo is a necessity. I've written drum tracks on my old Roland R-70 drum machine with tambos that sounded great (real).

I'm looking for a free soundfont or wav file with decent tambo sounds to use in my sequencer.

I recieved my Vaughncraft 8" brass tambourine I grabbed off e-bay a week ago. I must admit it is a superior quality instrument in both sound and craftmanship. The 8" size makes it really easy to play and the "super grip" thing is very comfortable. The thing just sounds f***ing cool. I'm glad I bought it for $50 used instead of $105 new cuz it dont sound THAT good. Vaughncraft has some neat stuff. Ever heard of a triple row tamboutine??Check them out at www.vaughtcraft.com.

So glp182 what kind of music do you use your Black Swamp on? I have never heard one(except on their sound bites on their web site) But the headed tambourines I have played have a distinctive sound coming from the head that I'm not sure I like.

Hey

Well I use my black swamp dual-row Chromium 25 and Chromium 25
and German Silver Jungled Tambourines for almost any kind of music. To get rid of the head sound just tap the rim where the head is touching the body. It takes away the tone. and when you play a head tambourine, make your hand like a duck (quack! :) ) and tap it with your fingers. also for a more "jingly" sound, tilt your tamboutine 45 degrees so it is diagonal to the ground and go from there. I hope this helps you!

Back