• NT-2

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • NT-1000

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • NTK

Votes: 131 54.8%

• Total voters
The original Rode NTV :D
I use it sparingly because I don't know if replacement tubes are still stocked. There's nothing on the Rode website about the NTV anymore.

I now have an NT1-A for my 'need to get some ideas down' mic, an NT2000 for my main tracking mic and looking at upgrading to the K2 when money falls from the sky and I can afford one :)

Dags

i recently ran an Classic II through an avalon and absolutely loved the sound it produced. the singer was a good singer so i'm sure that helped but just that experience alone made me want to buy one. I have yet to use it with another singer but once i do, i'll let you know what i thought of it with other singers

I have worked with an older NT2 a couple times in the studio. Very good experiances with it. I'd like to own one someday.

Have not used the others, so I can't say what's best our of all.

F.S.

I voted for the NTK because the K2 isn't listed. Surprised I haven't voted on this already, as I love Rode mics :confused:

I replaced the stock 6922 tube in my K2 with a NOS Telefunken, and that thing sounds great, even through cheap pre's. Works well on my voice, as mediocre as it may be - and it also works very well on thinner-sounding acoustics, coupled with another mic. Also works well on guitar amps, so it has really made a good workhorse mic. Haven't tried it on drums.

Which one would be a more all round mic for vocals, pianos, violins and acoustic guitars

Tukkis

dont get caught in that trap, get more than one mic. unless of course u buy somthing like a peluso that is that good.

my advise is to take advantage of the us market at present and dont pay rediculous prices is aus. buy off ebay.com (from a fellow aussie to another)

I haven't read all this thread but I've been using the NTK for several years and really like it for vox. I swapped the stock tube for an Elites 6DJ8EG and I'm really impressed with how much smoother the top end is. I've also used it on acoustic and it's pretty good there as well.

Paul:D

Sure you are not fooling yourself with tube swap?

I also swapped with a Telefunken tube, supposed to be real good. However, I recorded before and after swap with the same settings, and I just couldn't tell any difference. Someone explained to me that this was not to be expected, because the NTK is not a tube mic but a mic with tube in it. Meaning the tube was not in a place where it could color the signal.

I still have the NTK, but never use it.

RODE now has a neat little "University" training on their website that provides some studio microphone basics that may be of interest to some. I whipped through it relatively qucikly in one sitting. A Good Microphone Primer for beginners and refresher for others one one level. You also get a good look at some of their mics in more detail (which I am sure happens by accident ;) )

Well, there's a "middle-of-the-Rode" (uuugggh...) solution no one's really elaborated on, and maybe that's because it's been bypassed by the NTK: The NT2. I have one and it works wonders on my voice (that CAN'T be easy) and it sounds good on acoustic guitar. I've also used it with success as the single mic on hand drums (djembe, congas, bongos).

Now, the reason I bring this mic up is, you can get them used quite easily, it seems ... I got mine for $300 about a year and half ago. Not bad. I don't know what they're going for used now but they may be worth looking into. It's not the kind of mic that works for every voice, but to my ears it's MUCH better than the NT1. I can't comment on how it'd stack up to the NT1000, NTK, or Classics. I imagine at least the NTK and Classics sound better, but then they cost more.

Of course, with any mic, it helps if you can get a chance to demo it (even in the store) before deciding. It's not the ideal place to demo, but when I heard the NT2 I knew I liked it better than the others I tried: a CAD one (don't remember which), an AT4033, an AT4050, an AT4047, and some others.

I don't think it's that good on upright piano; I tried it there and have better luck with a pair of Marshall MXL 603Ses. Those are cheap and good, BTW.

There are other vocal mic manufacturers, too. Is there a reason you need a Rode mic specifically?

What she said... I only have NT2 and NT5s to choose from.. so naturally I would pick the NT2 for vokes... actually I've used it on a deepish Pommyguy voice to good effect, and it wasn't bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised.

And geekgurl, he's from Australia, and about the only mics you can buy here were you actually have the full range available is Rode, for obvious reasons...

That's always the problem we have with recommendations on this forum, you can never find the damn things... and I live in a global city, apparently.. sheesh.. :cool:

Tukks, not sure what sort of voice you have, but if your testicles are fully descended and big and round and juicy then an NT2 could be worth a try... if you're in Sydney, Sound Devices are pretty good with letting you try out different things...

if your testicles are fully descended and big and round and juicy ...

Why do I get the feeling your mouth was watering as you typed that??:D

I agree with the NT2 being fantastic for a full deep voice. I have used it twice in the studio with very good results.

F.S.

Sure you are not fooling yourself with tube swap?
Someone explained to me that this was not to be expected, because the NTK is not a tube mic but a mic with tube in it. Meaning the tube was not in a place where it could color the signal..

So,that means that if i remove the tube on my NTK will still working?

I own an NTK and have used NT5's mainly on overheads and acoustic guitar. The NTK is an excellent mic. It can sound really fat and kind of compressed at times, but it can really pick out the detail in the right voice. I used it on what I can only describe as a 'delicate' sounding jazz singer and it really brought out the intimacy in her voice, although she was quite close to the mic. It also sounds great on my acoustic guitar. Anyway, A great mic.

I have also had very even, balanced sounding results with the NT5's on a Takamine EAN40CX acoustic guitar. Maybe lacked a bit of low midrange, but that's down to my positioning.

The NT1000 was a bit 'blah' on vocals as far as I can remember.

What the best mic

I will buy a mic to vocals and i ha e 400$. What is a good mic to vocals, with a very good quality? I like the rode nt2a and the nt1000, what do you think i should buy? Ps im portuguese xd

Back