Votes: 45 18.8%
  • NT-2

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • NT-1000

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • NTK

Votes: 131 54.8%

• Total voters
I've heard great things about those Mackie's. I have no doubt they are quiet and have plenty of punch. That is Mackie's product line in general it seems. I sure that NT2000 will serve you well also........

Wow! This is one of those threads that resurrects every now and then.

My NTK has yet to give me a reason to look for other mics so it is still my favorite. Admittedly, my recordings are nowhere near professional quality but they're good enough to draw compliments from other newbs and amateurs.

I have 2 NT1000's and a NTK and dig them both for vocals. The rest of the signal chain makes a big difference. Of the preamp options I have, I prefer the Mackie Onxy preamps for the NTK and the Chameleon Labs 7602 for the NT1000.

Nice. With the ONYX preamps, wich Røde would you prefer, the K2 or the NT-2000?
I have the option still to switch my NT2000 and just want to make sure I have the best possible allround microphone for recording mainstream pop/r&b vocals.

I recently let go of a NT2000 to get a K2. Not sorry I did. The thing with my decision was based more on the fact I already had a NT1-A and NT2-A. The NT2000 is exactly the same mic electronically and capsule wise as the NT2-A with the additions of the variable pattern and rolloff characteristics. I wanted a mic with some different character. With the completely variable pattern dial on the outboard power supply of the K2, and the added warmth, sweet high end and increased dynamic range it was an easy decision. The K2 is simply the best thing going in their line overall.........Oh and it has that characteristic Rode "quietness" we've all come to depend on..... :D

roadwarrior said:
I recently let go of a NT2000 to get a K2.
Thanks. Is the K2 just as quiet as the NT2000?
And will the K2 suit pop vocals with that sparkling high end just as well as the NT2000?
Finally - put simple - is the K2 a"better" mic than the NT2000?

I´m gonna get one one of these days to compare, then I will keep the one that suits me best and return the other.

The day I got a room that deserves it I´m gonna get a Neu. Might be two years to go though - the building is gonna take forever.

Just want your opinions on comparing the K2 with the NT2000.

Thanks in advance.

IMHO there is absolutely NO question in my mind (or ears) that the K2 has it over the NT2000. If it hadn't had it in spades I would not have traded it back for a new K2. The K2 is as quiet to the ears (although on paper it has 3db more self noise). I sure can't tell any difference, and it sure is dead quiet on it's own. It has an overall "richer" tone to it. I find the upper register is sweeter, with NO less air up there to enjoy. The mids are smoother to my ear with less bite (not talking about detail as neither lack that). The low end is where the K2 runs away with it all. The dynamic range is astounding so as not to even require a pad. The power supply is superbly well made of obviously fine parts. I'd say just go K2.....you'll never regret it that is for sure........it does it all, from classical, pop, rock and no doubt even Rap.......

Just wanted to chime in here and have another user vouch for the K2. It is simply the best Rode I've tried (Have an NT1-A and NT2-A, can't speak for anything else) for vox. I agree w/ the forumites who's said airy highs, smooth mids, and great (not exagerated) low ends. But it's the midrange smoothness that makes it for me. Awesome mic.

Nvt

I think the rode NVT sounds awesome. Clean lows and clean highs, the price is a little higher also. What do ya think?

Its a wild world. I went to the store to get a Røde K2 home and compare it with the NT2000. But instead of a K2 I came home with an AKG C-414 B XL II.
So now I´m comparing the NT2000 with AKG. An unfair match.
Im ending up with the AKG.

Right on! Whatever sounds best to you, with the voices you'll be recording is definitely the way to go. No need for blind loyalties to brands or perceptions. Good luck w/ the AKG!

Tukkis said:
Yeh I was leaning into buying the Nt1000 as it was more in my budget range. I can get it here in Australia for $549 AUD. The NTK looks very nice and it can be had for $799 AUD. Do you guys think I should save more money and get the NTK?
Thanks
Tukkis
p.s.- I'm only 15 years old so every penny counts!
I just did your survey and it looks like the NTK is winning by a southern california landslide. I A/B'd the RODE NTK with the RODE K2 last week at Sam Ash Music and for my voice, I much preferred the NTK. Both good mics, however! The NTK was, as I have read, "smooth as butter".
HSG

I read somwhere on the net that Nickelback's singer uses a Rode NTK through a Neve pre for recordings... and the guy sounds freaking great... :p

nicolaad30 said:
I read somwhere on the net that Nickelback's singer uses a Rode NTK through a Neve pre for recordings... and the guy sounds freaking great... :p

So that's where the distorted sound on his voice comes from. It's the NTK.

Haven't sold mine yet, but after getting a Soundelux U195 I have little use for it. Anyone interested in a Siemens tube for the NTK at half price? Only used for two hours.

either that, or it's just his shitty, nasally voice

fucking canadians need to learn that they don't rock, and go back to being lumberjacks and shit

c1's go for about $400 in australia. Im also in brisbane. Check out the academy of music (its now allens) in the valley. You should be able to pick up a NT1000 for around $520 also. I;m currently stuck wondering whether i should get a nt2a, nt1000 or shell the extra cash for a K2. Any advice?

originally I started out with a NT1-A, NT1000 and NT2000. Through working with various mics I ended up selling off the 1000 for a NT2-A (much sweeter) and eventually sold off the NT2000 for a K2. The character of these is a bit different, and I didn't wish to duplicate the characters of the mics I have. The K2 is most neutral of all, and has a bit of the sweetness of the tube thing going on. NEVER harsh to say the least. The NT2-A, I feel, excels on male vocal. Just tad bit of bump to add air where you need it, but not "hyped" as with the Chinese mics. Nice ballsy bottom. I now feel I have full representation of what I'll need in most cases. I also feel those are the "best of the best" in the Rode lineup. the NT2000 is nothing more than a fully pattern adjustable NT2-A. Same capsule and electronics. The K2.......now thats another deal. The K2 remains my overall "go to" mic for vocals, but on my own voice I sure do love the NT2-A. ALL are dead quiet (NO self noise to speak of) which has spoiled me for other mics out there.......

I havent read the entire thread, but did anyone mention that Nicklebacks newest album was cut with a Rode on all the vocals? Find out which one, see if you voice or some that you work with matches that style, and go with it.
For vocals I suggest Seventh Circle N72.

I just read a few posts above here someone called out Nickelback. You guys are goofy if you think he has a shitty voice. He is an incredible singer for that style and its NOT a matter of opinion. Great band. Those that knock'em suck'em cock'em. Give respect where its due, they eat more sushi than you. :)
The distortion on the other hand, is probably the dist2 setting on a Distressor.

Back