Best Mic For Rap Vocs Under $700

truth_lyricist

I don't want to spend no more then $700 on a mic because my budget just went down 1000 and I also hafta get some good monitors, headphones and preamps so I dont need to spend no more then $700. So yall let me know whats the best for rap vocals.

Did you figure out specifically what it was about your existing setup that you weren't happy with?

I'm sure if you spend five minutes searching this forum, you'll soon realize that there is no answer to your question.

sowpunk said:
Do a search and read the sticky topics man,

There's about 24,000,000,012 posts on this...
The problem is that if you do a search, you realize that there is no answer to the question, because there is a problem with the question itself. A better question would be, 'I am finding that my vocal sound is too [dark/bright/brittle/thin/boomy/edgy/mellow/purple] for my liking. I am currently using an [xyz] microphone through an [abc] preamp into a [123] soundcard. What are some recommendations for microphones that will work with my signal chain to address the deficiencies I have identified? My budget is $[0.00].

Whenever someone asks 'what's the best rap microphone for $XXX?', I always think to myself, how do I assess what is the best microphone in general, and what qualities does a microphone have to have in order to be considered a 'rap' microphone? Because there is no answer to either of these questions, the general question about the best rap microphone is meaningless.

Or, get an Rode K2. I dunno.

Reactions: BJW
northsiderap said:
If you don't have an AKG C414 or a BLUE Baby Bottle get one or both.

Like I've said before the Blue is way too detailed if not in a proper enviroment, honestly something like an ev-20 would be much better suited for rap, for that matter just like at most higher end dynamics.

I swear - I hardly ever browse this forum anymore, but every single time I do, there's a "rap mic" thread on the first page.

. . . . . every single time

Now, if we could just combine essence of the "rap mic" and "studio projects mics" threads in one big massive worthless-waste-of-time thread, we'd have something.

Sorry, truth_lyricist, I really didn't mean to hijack your thread or to be rude - but this topic has been done to death around here.

My advice to you would be to find a dealer in your area that carries several mic's you are interested in. Go in there and find a nice salesperson that you get along with. Arrange a time between you, your rap vocalist, and the salesguy to meet in the store and audition mic's. Any real dealer will allow you to do this. Bring in your backing tracks on a CD or something, set up a signal chain as close as possible to your own that you can, and audition all the mic's you can in your price range. Pick the one that sounds the best to you. If you do this, you'll get the mic that's best suited to your vocalist, you'll develop a good relationship with a local store and sales staff, you'll learn about the tonal differences in different types/brands of mics, and you'll have some fun in the process. You also might find something that's perfect for way less than $700. More money doesn't always mean better for what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

BLUE Baby Bottle is pretty nice...or a 8-Ball if you wish to get a good preamp with a condenser. I dunno its just up to you really. Ask which rappers use whice mic setup and listen to how they sound.

BJW said:
I swear - I hardly ever browse this forum anymore, but every single time I do, there's a "rap mic" thread on the first page.

Now, if we could just combine essence of the "rap mic" and "studio projects mics" threads in one big massive worthless-waste-of-time thread, we'd have something.

Sorry, truth_lyricist, I really didn't mean to hijack your thread or to be rude - but this topic has been done to death around here.

My advice to you would be to find a dealer in your area that carries several mic's you are interested in. Go in there and find a nice salesperson that you get along with. Arrange a time between you, your rap vocalist, and the salesguy to meet in the store and audition mic's. Any real dealer will allow you to do this. Bring in your backing tracks on a CD or something, set up a signal chain as close as possible to your own that you can, and audition all the mic's you can in your price range. Pick the one that sounds the best to you. If you do this, you'll get the mic that's best suited to your vocalist, you'll develop a good relationship with a local store and sales staff, you'll learn about the tonal differences in different types/brands of mics, and you'll have some fun in the process. You also might find something that's perfect for way less than $700. More money doesn't always mean better for what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

Well Said! ;)

I don't do Rap, but am very loud when I sing...and have had very good luck with my AT-4040...comes across pretty close to what I put into it, and is just very even sounding...doesn't seem to add anything high, or low....I think they are about $300.

I'm still a high school student, so I am not wealthy enough to afford a Neumann. Before buying my current mic(AT3035), i requested one of the pro audio guys in my local store to talk into 4 different mics with my face turned away from him and the mics. the mics were: AT3035, AT4033, NT1-A and C3000b. From the 4 mics, i loved the sound of the AT3035. i had no doubts about my decision at all. Even though the AT3035 is one of the cheapest out of the 4 mics, i didn't compromise my choice and also, i didn't hesitate to admit that i liked the sound of the AT3035 the most.

BJW said:

Good luck!

I would like to add that doing searches really help...the search engine in here tool works very well in here. Also, to experiment with mic's renting is not a bad option to consider if you want to try several and not have to settle or gamble with one in particular. And importantly you get to try them in a environment that you are used too. Just a little something to consider.
Good luck!

Best Car in the World (not an opinion): Pontiac GrandAm

Best Game in the World (again - not an opinion): Twister

Best Food in the World (your getting the idea now): Vegetarian Taco's

Best Song in the World (everyone agrees on this one!): Every Rose has its Thorn!

Best Mic for Rap (Finally Im getting to Your question): Rode NT1000

So you can close the thread now cause I have spoken.
Get to it boy!

Back