Best mic for kick?

Polls are fun, aren't they? Which mic on kick?

• AKG D112

Votes: 114 33.8%
  • Sennheiser e602

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • Shure beta52

Votes: 101 30.0%
  • other... (please specify)

Votes: 93 27.6%

• Total voters
Last night I heard a guy use an AKC C409 clip-on horn mic on a kick with no hole. Unbelievable sound.

It's a little 20-20k condenser. Big, fat, and punchy.

Just goes to show you can get a good sound out of some very non-kick mics.

Sonixx said:
have I misunderstood? why are you flipping the mic polarity on the kick mallet side of the batter head? isn't this mic in phase with the overheads. why is the front side mic not polarity swapped?

-keith-

I think he's using the mics outside the drum, one on the batter by the pedal and one on the resonant head. They'd both be pointed at each other, so you'd have to flip the phase on one.

Oh, and my vote is for the Beta 52.

PhilGood said:
I think he's using the mics outside the drum, one on the batter by the pedal and one on the resonant head. They'd both be pointed at each other, so you'd have to flip the phase on one.
Yeah... maybe my question wasn't to the point...sounded like Bruce is flipping the Batter mic side polarity, which may or may not be in phase with overheads. Just looking for clarity.

I like to use a 421, D6, or an E602 on the inside of the drum.
For the outside i always use a royer R121 w/a popscreen...about 12' to 15' from the resonant head.

There is always a little phase doing this method, so i sync the waves up with a couple of nudges before mix down.

I'll have to go with a D12 not the D112 combined with a NS-10 Speaker and maybe for a little extra fun a 57 pointing at the shell.

Wow, this poll was posted 4 years ago...

I just got the audix d6 and I must say it great!!!
Put it in the kik, did a take, listened back, pulled it out a bit, another take, listened back and grinned...
But I honestly haven't tried the others (beta52, d112, etc) but I'm really pleased with my buy.

Radio Shack Thump Master 5000

maximum SPL handling: The shock it gets from connecting it into the board. :D

On a serious note,

Beta 52 on the front with a Crown PZM bountry mic nicely mounted inside.

MD421 - Used it live many times, sounds awesome...and horrible on recording for some reason. Maybe it's just me, I've heard other people get some good results from that mic.

SM91 - We usually use it with an M88 as well to get a bit more thud. Sounds good live and recorded to me. Expensive. Never used a Beta 91.

Cheating/Cop out: Trigger the damned thing ;) (I record a lot of metal)

I've heard people rave about using a small (or large) speaker as a kick mic as well. Some big name band toured with a JBL Control 1 as a kick mic, forget who it was.

I like the Beta 52 myself. In many situations, I'll use it in conjunction with a sm57 to capture a bit more "click".

No such thing as the best mic for kick.

It's like asking "whats the best brush to paint with?".

Plus, you have to consider that a lot of great kick sounds are a combination of mics.

A current favorite for me is the Beta 52 with either a crown PZM or Shure Beta 91 resting on the inside.

I know this thread is older than my grandaddy's dentures but I have to add in my currnet thing.

421 about three inches below the beater pointed slightly away from the beater with a Blue Kickball outside the hole just for a little whomp.

Any comments on the shure beta52?

I love it, the spl rating is great. The proper tuning of the drum, the type heads, proper dampening and mic placement are all factors for consideration though.

I'd highly reccommend the Beta 52.

Back