Best mic for kick?

Polls are fun, aren't they? Which mic on kick?

• AKG D112

Votes: 114 33.8%
  • Sennheiser e602

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • Shure beta52

Votes: 101 30.0%
  • other... (please specify)

Votes: 93 27.6%

• Total voters
DeJaV

philsaudio said:
It ought to sound better than the Pro25! It cost almost 10x as much ---- but that logic did not work for me and my Sennheiser 421! To MY EARS the little $59.00 Audio Technica Pro 25 sounds better on MY KICK than the 421 which weighs in at 5x the price.

Since I am not a professional recording studio the price factor carries a lot of weight.

I read this and agreed with my self than saw it was me.

Anyhow I NOW use the pro 25 for a bass mic and the AKG D112 on the kick drum. I like the sound I get from the D112 with it just inside a 4.5" hole in the resonant head on my little 20"X8" Pearl Rythm Travler kick. I has been set up this way for months.

I do recall that when I decided to leave the "D112 there it was before I found Prof. Sounds Drum Tuning Bible. This is where the great kick sound will originate, no matter what mic you use.

http://www.drumweb.com/profsound.shtml

Roel said:
Any comments on the shure beta52? There's this drum package that comes with it, 3 sm57's, clips and a box to put it in...

If the mic is good, and the price is reasonable, I might buy that...

I'll check the ATM-25

I have the Beta 52 and the D112. For the bass drum, the B52 always seemed to give more low end punch. I used them on my kit many times so the player vs. drum differences were not an issue. The D112 (at least for me) seemed to require more EQ to get the low end out.
It might just be my fucked up mixing but to my ears the B52 was better suited for my needs.
RF

I have been playing drums for over 30 years and recording them for about 15 years. For large drums like bass drums and floor toms, my favorite microphone is the Sennheiser MD-421. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Cheap microphones will often bring you cheap sounds. I also use the MD-421 for vocals. I also prefer to record drums in an analog mode and then transferring to digital. :)

Sennheiser 421

"I have been playing drums for over 30 years and recording them for about 15 years. For large drums like bass drums and floor toms, my favorite microphone is the Sennheiser MD-421. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Cheap microphones will often bring you cheap sounds. I also use the MD-421 for vocals. I also prefer to record drums in an analog mode and then transferring to digital. "

Cheap mics, cheap sounds? WTFO!

I have 3x Sennheiser 421, an AKG D112 and ATM Pro 25. Right now I have one of the 421 on the batter side pointing at the patch and the D112 in the hole on the resonant head. I have also tried the 421 in the hole, outside the hole, on the resonant head, and on the resonant head in a carpet tunnel.

Not withstanding that the sound of the drum has the MOST to do with the recorded sound, the 421 sucks for kick. I did not say SUCKS, just sucks.

Either of the other two mics which combined cost less than the 421 will kill the 421. The 421 sounds nice on top of the snare and on toms, but get a kick mic for the kick. I think I see a Beta 52 in my mic closet when I look into my crystal ball.

Regards
Phil Abbate

D12, Atm25, Fet47

Open headed kick: AKG D12 (not the plastic sounding D112) or FET 47.
Closed headed kick: A pair of ATM25s (one in front, one by the pedal with the phase flipped).

If you can find an old AKG D10 (daddy of the D12) use that instead.

Other popular kick mics that I do not think sound as nearly good:

D112
SM7
RE20
SM57

For more opinions and recording tips, goto http://BruceAMiller.us

-Bruce

BruceAMiller said:
Closed headed kick: A pair of ATM25s (one in front, one by the pedal with the phase flipped).
have I misunderstood? why are you flipping the mic polarity on the kick mallet side of the batter head? isn't this mic in phase with the overheads. why is the front side mic not polarity swapped?

-keith-

I had the D112 and traded for the Beta 52. Kinda thinkin now that I shouldv'e kept the 112 for bass cabs and just to have. Ya can't have too many mics around, ya know?

D112

I was wondering where the best mic placement for the D112 is verses the B52?
I like to have my D112 inside the bass a little bit, centered.

Bdrum said:
I was wondering where the best mic placement for the D112 is verses the B52?
I like to have my D112 inside the bass a little bit, centered.

Lately against all sound advice, lying on a pillow which touches the resonant head.

Best advice I have is to start using the techniques in Prof. Sounds drum tuning bible.
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

The mic will only pick up a good sound if the drums have a good sound.

Happy Tuning
Phil Abbate

atm25 is a much different mic than the pro25. i have a friend who works for audio technica in stow, ohio. he insists that the two are very different. the pro is a consumer level mic while the atm is their professional model. i have the atm 25 and could not be happier.
Blake

Best Kick Mic

Roel,

My suggestion to you would be a Beta 52.

I have one, and a D112, Beyer M380, a Sennheiser 421 and an old EV RE 20.

Like some of the other posts have already stated, its realy a matter of what your going for. I'd say in general though if you only have one to choose from, or if I had to give up all but one, I take my Beta 52. That mic has a pretty good all around sound, nice fat bottom end and excellent highend as well, not too clicky sounding. The AKG D112 has a little more in the upper high end, I think the Beta 52 is more natural sounding.
I get great results also from the 421, up inside the drum pointed toward the shell a bit, aliitle muffling in the drum results in a nice warm fat kick sound, sorta Honky Tonk woman sounding, (Rollings Stones) if you didnt know.

All the best,
Makes

Beta,beta,beta

Sound is all preference of the listener so I understand there is no right answer, but DAMN... I got a Beta 52 about 3 yrs ago and it's just got some serious bottom to it. Depending on what your recording, I'd prefer it over a D112 all day.BETA

I just want to point out that picking a good mic is one of the features for recording of drum-kick,the conditioning of the instrument,the proper setting of the equalization of the track,and the knowledge about which software could take you where you want to go is as important as the mic itself.There are some studios which have people called,(drum-sound-designers), for that purpose.I have been a Percussion Guru for some Records Comp. and for people without the Record Comp.,but with the money for recording.Gerry Zaragemca.

What do you guys know about the Yamaha SKRM100?. Kinda different from any mic.. isn't it?. It could be an interesting choice for kick miking in combination with another kick drum... take a look a t it and let me know if it is a toy or what...

Last edited:
I own a Sennheiser MD421 for a time now.
And all the time I thought it sucked major!
But then I just plugged it in to a better Mic Pre-amp and I just couldn't believe my ears! It sounded so more alive, and suddenly it just had punch and power. I couldn't believe my ears.
Since I'm a newbie and haven't heard the Shure, AKG or any other..I can't judge on this..but I actually realized that this Sennheiser is perfect for me..haha..

I like MD 421 on kick.
I use my D112 on guitar cabs.
i know its breaking the "rules" but to me it sounds better.

Back