• MXL V67G

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Shure KSM27

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • ST55 (basically a Groove Tubes GT55)

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R-Pro, the chain is mic - dmp3 - presonus firebox - cubase. Pretty clean chain...not alot of character. I have alot of mids in my voice, some pretty solid lows, but kind of lack on the highs (however, do use falsettos). I haven't been able to find something that really captures the whole thing. The AKG 414 did it, but its way beyond my pricerange. I can use effects to change eq's, whatnots, etc....but I need a mic thats gonna give me a good base to begin with - nothing hollow. So basically, what I'm really after, is which mic is the least hollow sounding?

velvetcrush said:
R-Pro, the chain is mic - dmp3 - presonus firebox - cubase. Pretty clean chain...not alot of character. I have alot of mids in my voice, some pretty solid lows, but kind of lack on the highs (however, do use falsettos). I haven't been able to find something that really captures the whole thing. The AKG 414 did it, but its way beyond my pricerange. I can use effects to change eq's, whatnots, etc....but I need a mic thats gonna give me a good base to begin with - nothing hollow. So basically, what I'm really after, is which mic is the least hollow sounding?
Can you post a sample of your best work so far?

...and any neked pics you have of your girlfriend and/or your mom? (in some cases - these are one in the same....and if thats the case - just skip the pics).

Thanks,
T-bone

your gray rep is much appreciated btw!

Gbondo9,

What are you doing on a music site. I think maybe you need to read your latest 30 posts, and reevaluate your intelligence. If you need instructions on how to do it, I'll be glad to assist you. You're racist, rude, prejudice...in your latest posts you've made fun of black people, gay people, animals, and jehova's witnesses. Need me to quote? I'm surprised you've gotten so many good rep's...and your welcome from the negative from myself. Try and keep girlfriends and mothers out of the site alright mate? Keep it to music. Spare the last firing cell in your brain.

velvetcrush said:
Gbondo9,

What are you doing on a music site. I think maybe you need to read your latest 30 posts, and reevaluate your intelligence. If you need instructions on how to do it, I'll be glad to assist you. You're racist, rude, prejudice...in your latest posts you've made fun of black people, gay people, animals, and jehova's witnesses. Need me to quote? I'm surprised you've gotten so many good rep's...and your welcome from the negative from myself. Try and keep girlfriends and mothers out of the site alright mate? Keep it to music. Spare the last firing cell in your brain.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Don't forget to report me to your nearest site admin soldier

You have the BEST sense of humor EVER!

velvetcrush said:
Gbondo9,

hehee....

I cant believe you read my last 30 posts!!!! :eek:

velvetcrush said:
Also, chessrock, I've read many of your replies to other threads. Not only do you seldom give good advice, but you seldom give advice at all. Most of the time you only state the obvious, or more likely, begin an argumentative post intended to insult, ridicule, or degrade. Try making good music mate. My thought is that you never made it recording, never garnered any awards or praise for anything you've ever touched, and use this forum as a way to feel slightly above others.

which sums up perfectly why this is the most over rated and least helpful forum on the web today.....

And SP B1 got the most votes because that is what most of the people in this forum bought.

Do a search for posts by Richard Monroe and Harvey Gerst, those posts will tell you which of your posted choices are the best.

IMO, go for the AT (made in Japan) or the Rode (made in Australia), avoid any condensor mic made in China.

If you can add an extra $200 bucks to your mic budget then also look at the EV RE20 and the Shure SM7.

When you get sick and tired of the budget chinese crap condensors you have waded thru, and you still cannot spend more than $150 bucks, then get an Apex 210 ribbon and forget about condensor mics until you have $500 bucks to spend.

danny.guitar said:
To say all budget condenser mics are "shit" is just plain ignorance. Maybe you don't know what the fuck you are doing or your voice sucks and sounds like shit.

I've used only "budget" condenser mics in my own setup and have gotten results I'm pleased with. I've used more expensive mics at my friend's house, and while there is a noticeable difference, it doesn't mean all budget mics are shit.

The MSH mics come to mind, and the Behringer ECM8000 for acoustic guitar. (Yes, Behringer).

I've heard the MSH mics on vocals and it sounded excellent. Maybe they aren't great vocal mics but the vocals were really well performed and that matters much more than what mic you use.

My voice sucks. That's why I record other people's voices. I don't have a clue as to what the fuck I'm doing, but somehow I managed to quit my day job almost a year ago, so I must be doing something right.

Don't get so angry, with the cussing and name calling. You said yourself that you hear a difference. Maybe I care about quality and take pride in what I do. If you're a hobbyist, that's fine, but if you're trying to be a professional, use professional tools. Yeah, you can get decent recordings with a shit mic, but the same performance with the same amount of effort applied in the mix using professional tools will give you much better results. If you don't care about the added quality, don't spend the extra money, but that's no reason to tell people that care enough about it to spend the money that they are ignorant and don't know what the fuck they are doing.

And even if you don't care about the quality. A $100 dynamic will outperform a $100 condenser. Then if one day you decide to care you'll have a decent dynamic mic in your collection instead of a useless mic that you'll have to sell for half of what you bought it for.

velvetcrush said:
Also, chessrock, I've read many of your replies to other threads. Not only do you seldom give good advice, but you seldom give advice at all.

Well, I've had the unfortunate displeasure of reading some of your other threads, and when you're not being confrontational or getting called out... you're just asking dumb questions about your pirated software.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2481079#post2481079

As for your other comments ... I just do what I can to try and ward off those who don't have anything positive to contribute, so that the positive bits I do throw out once in a while aren't completely wasted on those who aren't deserving.

velvetcrush said:

Recordingpro is quite the "recording pro", or so he says. ;)

You should ask him to post some of his many pro recordings so that you (and the rest of us) can actually hear how he puts his words of wisdom to use. The only thing most of us know about him is that he's got a bug up his butt about Alan Hyatt, and his Studio Projects gear. There are some folks that think "Recordingpro" is the alter ego of another poster here, maybe even one that left a post in this thread, but by his other moniker. Who knows. Who cares.

velvetcrush said:
And if your reply is..."well there are plenty of threads that deal with budget mics," mine is the only one that wraps up ALL the mics I'm interested in, at once.

OMG you mean you might have to read more than one thread?

The humanity!! :rolleyes: :)

Come on, man. Use your search function. Ask a specific question with an answer that doesn't depend on someone's personal tastes.

Best budget mic indeed.

We should just arbitrarily decide what the "best budget mic" is and offer that up to people too impatient to sort through the chaff.

What do you say, APL? :rolleyes: :p

Back