Best budget microphones for live performances ( anything better than Shure SM58?)

Well it's official!!!
I tried a few back flips and simulated stage dives with both my MD421 and SM7b and just about broke my darn neck !!!
So take heed A.D ..... if the stage diving and back flips or anything resembling these stage moves are part of your stage presence, they will not foot the bill!!! :laughings:

:cool:

Good morning! That`s a great point. It`s just that there are so many microphones out there I`m already extremely confused. You kind of know what my voice sounds like... What could I get for about 500-700 bucks?
Oh, the band sings my songs. I`ve got some new stuff if you`re curious:)) I`m yetanothersongwriter on Youtube. Oh, I didn`t even take that into consideration! But the sound of this microphone is pretty good, I hear!
For me it's good morning A.D
Now I'm not sure if you have made yourself clear on this matter but, are you to leave the microphone in it's stand at all times?
The Senn. MD 421 is a great microphone but again much like the SM7b not that good as a hand held.
Is the material that your band performing much like the solo stuff that you had shown me last year? If so then most any microphone will do when it comes to SIZE of the microphone so your aren't hampered in any way of singing while doing back flips or stage diving.

Keep in mind the 421 II (neodymium) is brighter than the classic MD421.
Therefore, on some voices (like mine), can make the vocal sound pretty sibilant.

IIRC Ty Ford did an excellent review of the 421 II on his website, and his thoughts are in line with mine. FWIW have heard a number of vocalists on the Sennheiser E965 and it suited all of them well. The Neumann's are reputed to be somewhat hit or miss.

Chris

I hear you! Not sure I want to spend 700 bucks on a microphone just to see it`s a miss....
Keep in mind the 421 II (neodymium) is brighter than the classic MD421.
Therefore, on some voices (like mine), can make the vocal sound pretty sibilant.

IIRC Ty Ford did an excellent review of the 421 II on his website, and his thoughts are in line with mine. FWIW have heard a number of vocalists on the Sennheiser E965 and it suited all of them well. The Neumann's are reputed to be somewhat hit or miss.

Chris

Gosh, I was 99.99% I wanted the MD421! I changed my mind again. I might have to make a financial effort and get something better...
Options: Neumann KMS 105
Shure KSM9
Sennheiser E965
And I`m still.....confused.....

Well it's official!!!
I tried a few back flips and simulated stage dives with both my MD421 and SM7b and just about broke my darn neck !!!
So take heed A.D ..... if the stage diving and back flips or anything resembling these stage moves are part of your stage presence, they will not foot the bill!!! :laughings:

Richie,
Cheers for the feedback:) So long MD421II:drunk:
Shure SM7b is great I hear, but I need a handheld microphone I think.
The options are:
Sennheiser E965
Neumann KMS 105
Shure KSM9 ( not really an option......can`t find it in Japan!)

Cheers, Richie!
A.D
"Oh, long time no hear,my friend! As always, you write in detail. Thank you so much.Not sure I want a beta anymore I want a Neumann
Or an MD 421II Are you familiar with the latter?
Regards,
A.D"

Yes, AD, I am familiar with the 421. OK, it beats the hell out of an SM58 (and should, for the price). But...Here's my upside- It is a great dynamic mic which is a longtime standard for guitar cabs, snare, toms, and brass/sax. Some people do use it for live vocals (The Grateful Dead, for example).
My downside- There's a reason why it is not often used for vocals- it's not what it does best. It wasn't designed as a vocal mic. In that price range, for a dynamic, I keep coming back to Shure SM7b, which *was* designed as a vocal mic (primarily for radio broadcast). For amps or sax, it's one of the best dynamics in the business, but only a handful of people use it for vocals.-Richie

^^^^ this ^^^^^

I'm a big fan of these for live use.

AND ..... they're very durable ..... definitely backflippable.

Yes A.D this is probably the microphone that you are looking for.
If the drum riser is high enough maybe you'll get a double back flip in.

Look around for it used! You'll be very happy with it.

Thank you! I had a quick look... Seems they don`t have them in Japan...or maybe they have another name. On www.amazon.com there was one EV 767a for 102 bucks. That`s not the microphone you guys are talking about, I suppose!
Yes A.D this is probably the microphone that you are looking for.
If the drum riser is high enough maybe you'll get a double back flip in.

Look around for it used! You'll be very happy with it.

When you say 500 bucks, are you really referring to 500 USD? I mean casually stating that all Guitards have a 3000 buck guitar. That's one hell of a guit in the US.

Thank you! I had a quick look... Seems they don`t have them in Japan...or maybe they have another name. On www.amazon.com there was one EV 767a for 102 bucks. That`s not the microphone you guys are talking about, I suppose!
yeah, that's the one.
I have a couple and I play live every night.
Now mic choice really gets into personal opinion but I've been playing live for 40+ years and so have gotten a lot of chances to use mics in many different situations.

The EV's have a pretty wide range freq-wise and yet, they're pretty feedback resistant. And definitely durable ...... my stuff gets batted around like a dog toy and works just fine.
Hell, I even had one that I stuck into a tip jar to keep it safe from a rainstorm and the tarp funneled water into the tip jar filling it up and totally submerging the mic.
Still works fine though I don't recommend it.

Yes, American dollars. Well, Japanese love showing off. So they have to have an expensive guitar:))
When you say 500 bucks, are you really referring to 500 USD? I mean casually stating that all Guitards have a 3000 buck guitar. That's one hell of a guit in the US.

yeah, that's the one.
I have a couple and I play live every night.
Now mic choice really gets into personal opinion but I've been playing live for 40+ years and so have gotten a lot of chances to use mics in many different situations.

The EV's have a pretty wide range freq-wise and yet, they're pretty feedback resistant. And definitely durable ...... my stuff gets batted around like a dog toy and works just fine.
Hell, I even had one that I stuck into a tip jar to keep it safe from a rainstorm and the tarp funneled water into the tip jar filling it up and totally submerging the mic.
Still works fine though I don't recommend it.

There you go .... an other microphone that works well under water! :D

Cheers, guys. Looked very hard an made up my mind, It`s going to be 1 EV767 and 1 MD431 II handheld! I`ll get 2 :) better safe than sorry:)

Ha,ha. Wow. Can`t believe I give you guys 700 bucks to work with, and you save me 600 by recommending th EV 767:))

I'm pretty sure that you will like this microphone A.D
Just had seen it in musician's friend for $129. USD and just to be sure the model name and number is - N/D767a.

Back