Best budget microphones for live performances ( anything better than Shure SM58?)

A.D.Ryan

Hey guys,
I have about 500 bucks to spend on a microphone for live performances. Is there anything out there that beats the good old SM58? I do have a brand new Shure SM58 but if I can get something better... I will.
Any suggestions? I usually sound like James Blunt, but i have to make my voice sound like Jon Bon Jovi in some of our songs. Nope, I don`t want a microphone that can do that for me:))
Cheers!
A.D

Hey A.D you have a few choices other than a 58 ;
How about a beta 58
Beta 87a
Beta 86
Neumann 105
EV 767
Audition some of the Audix models

:cool:

I've got a 88 that needs to be sent in for repairs .... almost forgotten about it.
Tried it one day on kick drum and it ain't been right ever sense.

SM58's sound very boomy and have no detail with my voice.

I've been using a Sennheiser MD 441 for a few years and it's the first mic I've ever really liked for live. It's a dynamic but has an extended high end compared to most. It has an "approaching studio sound" on stage quality.

It has a really high degree of intelligibility - you can really hear the words well with that mic.

Plus, it's got a high boost swithch and a 5 way bass roll over switch on it. The latter is good because some songs I need bass proximity boost and others I don't want it.

In the studio the mic has been not good (too hard sounding) and the other common Sennheiser, the MD 421 did not work at all for vocals for me.

They've been selling for $325 - 500 on eBay lately:

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...&_nkw=sennheiser+MD+441&LH_Complete=1&guest=1

The only bad part is that's it's kinda heavy, but not that bad really... it looks like a shaver. Sounds great on sax for gigs too. Also, it's output is lower than an SM58 so it needs a bit more input gain on a mixer.

SM81's aren't half bad gig mics either.

Hey guys,
I have about 500 bucks to spend on a microphone for live performances. Is there anything out there that beats the good old SM58? I do have a brand new Shure SM58 but if I can get something better... I will.
Any suggestions? I usually sound like James Blunt, but i have to make my voice sound like Jon Bon Jovi in some of our songs. Nope, I don`t want a microphone that can do that for me:))
Cheers!
A.D

Neumann Handheld Condensor.

I saw NEUMANN 105 and I must say I have a lot of respect for that brand. I`m a Rode person for studio mics. Sooooooo happy with my N2TA. I`m considering spending some money just to see what a rode for live performances would sound like. I`m thinking Rode M1
Thank you, my friend. I`ll check out all the ones you suggested.
A.D
Hey A.D you have a few choices other than a 58 ;
How about a beta 58
Beta 87a
Beta 86
Neumann 105
EV 767
Audition some of the Audix models

I bought two AKG D3700s a couple of years ago, having spoken to several more experienced musicians and heard they were dramatically better sounding than the SM58 on the same money, which is true, but the very crisp highs means they are a touch feedback prone. Having sung through a number of other mics in the meantime, if I was re-kitting I'd probably splash the little extra on shure beta 58s.

The thing everyone always says about the SM58 is 'you can hammer nails in with it, they're indestructible'. However, keep in mind that you always have the option to look after your microphones properly. And buy a hammer.

Well, if everybody agrees that the Beta 58s are better than Shure 58, I`ll go for it. I just didn`t know they were better:) Thank you very much!
I bought two AKG D3700s a couple of years ago, having spoken to several more experienced musicians and heard they were dramatically better sounding than the SM58 on the same money, which is true, but the very crisp highs means they are a touch feedback prone. Having sung through a number of other mics in the meantime, if I was re-kitting I'd probably splash the little extra on shure beta 58s.

The thing everyone always says about the SM58 is 'you can hammer nails in with it, they're indestructible'. However, keep in mind that you always have the option to look after your microphones properly. And buy a hammer.

Back