• RME Hammerfall Multiface

Votes: 99 15.3%
  • Motu 2408mk3

Votes: 62 9.6%
  • other... please specify

Votes: 200 31.0%

• Total voters
Best Sound Card

I have three Echo Layla 24/96 cards (rack mount units) that sound great. I just tried an RME HDSP 9652 with my Apogee Rosetta 800 and I can finally hear down in the music. It's around $600 - $700 and worth every penny. I'll sell my Echo Layla cards now.

LooneyTunez said:
I agree that the MOTU 828MkII is a great unit...works flawlessly on my desktop and laptop PC's.

I do want to clarify something though...It actually has 20 inputs...2 Mic/Instruments pre's, 8 analog, 2 S/PDIF, 8 via lightpipe (Could use a Digimax LT, Focusrite Octopre, etc...). It has 22 outputs as well (that includes the headphones). Also, the bees knees is "CueMix" which offers direct monitoring (zero latency) of ALL channels.

It also sounds better than the MOTU 896 I had previously, and contains the same converters as the MOTU 2408MkIII!

Great unit!! :cool:

Really? Your 828mkII sounds BETTER than your 896? I have a 828mkII and although it sounds great. I want the 896 for the 192khz. What I really want is the Apogee. That is a little beyond my budget at this time.

Sound cards & DAW software

I had Echo Layla 24/96 cards but now have RME HDSP 9652 with Apogee Rosetta 800 and Samplitude V8. Absolutly the best!

All I've ever used is the Layla 24 and it has worked great for the past nearly 3 yrs. It doesn't sound as good as my fostex model 80 but the digital world is well worth the loss and besides it all ends up digital anyway. I only wish I had some kick ass mics, preamps, and compressors now. It's only $$$$$$$$

More confused than ever

To say I'm new at all this is an understatement. Although I've been making my living playing for 25+ years, I'm just now getting around to trying to build my home studio. I started reading this thread to get a handle on which interface I should get. I see there are as many opinions as there are interfaces. I have noticed, from reading here, that most agree that firewire is the way to go. However, since cost does play a factor, and I just shelled out a good bit building a PC and buying software just for recording, I've been leaning toward either the PreSonus FireBox or a used MOTU 828MKII, which I can get on EBay for about the same price as the FireBox. However, has any one taken a look, or used, the Hercules 1612?

Any thoughts on these three would be appreciated, and if system config matters I'm using a P4 3.6GHZ with HT, 1GB ram, hd1= 160GB 7200 with 8mb cache, hd2=external Glyph 120GB firewire and have Sonar5 Producer, Sampletank2, and Reason3. :confused:

Last edited:
Chipster said:
Any thoughts on these three would be appreciated, and if system config matters I'm using a P4 3.6GHZ with HT, 1GB ram, hd1= 160GB 7200 with 8mb cache, hd2=external Glyph 120GB firewire and have Sonar5 Producer, Sampletank2, and Reason3. :confused:

Hey Chip,

Just to confuse you further, I really like my EMU 1820 card :D

PCI, but it's incredibly low latency, has pretty decent converters, built in mic pres aren't bad, ADAT/Lightpipe inputs, lots of clock options, and it's only $400.

Just got Sonar 5 PE. Man that's way more stable than Cubase. Just got to get used to the interface...

Does it matter that much?

I don't know what's the best, but the Delta 1010 I've had for about 5 years has worked well the whole time. Definitely not the weak link in my chain.

I've recorded two albums for my band with it, if you want to hear how it sounds check them out
http://www.sittinidol.com/audio.htm

Here's a vote for obsessing less about gear, and more about music!!

I am going to get the fireface - i was considering buying the firepod , then i was gonna get the RME HDSP 9652 ...then i said wot the heck i might as well get the fireface - means i can record with a laptop and it has 4 pof the best mic pres , 8 balnaced line ins/outs ....i can upgrade by adding 2 ADAT machines for an extra 16 channels ... woo hoo ...

yeah i want this baby

Yea the fireface kicks so much ass.
On my desktop I am at 2ms latency, laptop needs 4ms.
The firepod needed about 8-12, depending on what I was doing.

Fireface is much better IMO.

I have had major problems with the Delta 1010 rack. (I own 2 of them) It is an alright break-out box but I won't buy any M-audio again. I have MOTU interfaces at my other studio and they are incredible.

All the units you mentioned do have 8 analog ins and outs but only the MOTU has 36 actual channels of in/out. The 2408 is bye far the most versatile of all the cards listed. I was very shocked to see that the M-audio is ahead in the poll, considering the problems I have had with it, and M-audio's "full of crap" tech support guys. The 2408 has 8 channels of analog audio PLUS 24 channels of ADAT and TDIF as well as 2 channels of SPDIF and I think it even has AES/EBU somewhere on it lol. The MOTU mixdesk software is WAY better than the M-audio router as well. It can also be used as a converter between ADAT and TDIF. It has a very good master clock built in (unlock the master UNclock in the M-audio) and good front panel metering (unlike the boring grey nothing on the front of the M-audio) Also in the future you can add more MOTU interfaces to the same computer just bye plugging them into the pci-424 card that comes with the 2408mk3. I tried using 2 M-audio's on the same computer and it does NOT work (even though they advertise that you can use 4 on one computer at the same time ..... BS!) Hope this helps!

Back