Votes: 54 8.4%
  • RME Hammerfall Multiface

Votes: 99 15.3%
  • Motu 2408mk3

Votes: 62 9.6%
  • other... please specify

Votes: 200 31.0%

• Total voters
Do the firewire connections allow simultaneous recording of multiple channels as with ADAT? And at what kind of rates?

jake-owa said:
It comes with a bunch of different configurations so the cable will be different for every model. It is a standard 25 pin D-sub connector. The digital connectors are on a 10 pin D-sub.

I've found the lynx two for as low as $899. Or the lynx one for under $600 which has the same type of conversion.

Beats the pants off a digi 001 or Motu where conversion is concerned.

If the lynx convertors are as good as I've heard they are, then the card is a steal for a stero pair at $800.

Considering that we pay $2000 for a pair of Lavry or Myteks :)

I use the Digi002. It's been working great, and it's a very solid unit. The pre's on it are pretty good to.

I didn't vote, because I haven't worked with a lot of these hardware interfaces, but the software I HAVE, and protools has outperformed logic, cakewalk and sonic foundry vegas studios stuff hands down in my opinion. And the only issues I've had with my hardware interface(using digi 002 rack) has been latency, which Ive found a fairly inexpensive way around.
seeing as I needed a headphone amp anyway, and had a behringer 8 track mixer laying around, I used the mixer as a preamp to the 002 rack, output each channel seperate and then send my mains(off the mixer) to my headphone amp so Im not using the rack or computer interface to monitor the live signal. I mute the armed tracks in protools and send all the playback tracks to the second input in the headphone amp. it works really well for my purposes. and all the smarty pants' can cut the digi line a little slack! please ;)

fraserhutch said:
If the lynx convertors are as good as I've heard they are, then the card is a steal for a stero pair at $800.QUOTE]

Actually the Lynx II comes in 3 models.

6 in - 2 out
4 in - 4 out
2 in - 6 out

So it's not a stereo in and out card, it has much more versatility. It was originally designed for mastering audio.

I have the motu hd896 (the one with the 8preamps) It's not a bad unit for the price. I had no trouble getting it to work with sonar and reason. Also vegas video and adobe primere worked out of the box. I just had to select the audio interface.

I would stay away from digidesign. I have used the 001 and i still cant get Reason to talk to it (or any other audio software, it will only work with protools.). I do like the preamps on that unit better but that's just not worth it since you can buy an outboard preamp.

the lynx two and lynx one use the same converters?? what are the things that make the lynx two better than the lynx one?? and how about the e-mu 1212m..the quality isnt anywhere close to the lynx two? or how about the lynx one?

Not sure about the convertors on the Lynx 1 vs 2 but I would guess they are different because the two cards use different drivers. Plus of course you get two to 6 channels either in or out depending on your needs.

The EMU crowd was touting that they were as good as the Lynx early last year. I think time and some heated debated routed out that myth. Plus there were lot's of compatability and functions that EMU did not deliver on early in the product life cycle. I think that may have changed however.

The Lynx were originally designed for the Mastering Studio crowd and Sequoia software, pretty high end stuff. They have run close in comparison to Apogee and Mytek. You're really are not going to beat their performance with lower end solutions.

It really comes down to multiple track coloration and frequency delivery to the monitors. Higher end products like the Lynx one or two have depth and clarity that I have not heard on the RME, M-Audio, Layla etc. I can't speak for the EMU gear because I have not run them side by side. I would speculate that you cannot get all those i/os, convertors and preamps in one box for under $500 and expect them to compete soundwise with RME or Lynx.

I just know I'm gonna get flamed for this........I have a Hoontech/ Sta adc/dac 2000 pci card and breakout box.........has yet to fail me and sounds good.

My vote goes to the Firepod. I upgraded to it from the Delta 44 and a Behringer mixer. It cured my "not enough input/output blues" for a very reasonable price and it sounds so much better than what I was using before. I have a second unit collecting dust until Presonus releases the patch that allows for daisy-chaining two units.

It'd be interesting to know how many of the 300+ people who've voted have actually compared all of the interfaces in the poll, or even more than a couple of them?

FattMusiek said:
My vote goes to the Firepod. I upgraded to it from the Delta 44 and a Behringer mixer. It cured my "not enough input/output blues" for a very reasonable price and it sounds so much better than what I was using before. I have a second unit collecting dust until Presonus releases the patch that allows for daisy-chaining two units.

http://www.presonus.com/firepodmultiunit.html

All you have to do is shoot an email to presonus and they'll hook you up.

audophile 2496?

Stealthtech said:
I voted for RME.....I would love to own one, but damn its expensive. I know someone who does and its flawless with 0 latency. Next in line would be the 1010. M-Audio makes some fine equipment as well.

any thoughts on that one? I have yet to buy a real soundcard. the 2496 is the best for the buck I've found. to qualify that statement, the best I know of out of personal experience, that being watching a guy who uses a 2496 record stuff.

if an RME is upwards of a grand.....outa my league.

Back