Best Amp Option for small apartment

If you own an Ipad, Ipod Touch or Iphone, check out Positive Grid BIAS and Jam Up Pro XT (actually they now come together) as well as Amplitube. With a good quality IOS interface such as the IK multimedia's GuitarRig Pro or ProHD you can get some very reasonable quality guitar sounds. Bias/Jam up allows tweaking down to the type of output tubes you're using and the bias of the amp. Pretty cheap too. I use mine on my Ipad4 and have recorded with it at times, but mainly use it to practice and learn tunes when I don't want to set my my usual tube amp pedalboard rig. Check it out.

Matt

Use any amp you want and mic it up, Putt a Thick BLANKET over it and play ;-) even better if you put every thing in a clothes closet
that way you can get the sound you like, without to disturb anyone, and if you sing, do it in the clothes closet to! .....Better than a Studio room!

Good luck

Regarding amps for small apartments, I have a 160 watt Peavey Mace head and 412 cabinet. Anyone familiar with these monstrous beasts will verify that it's loud as shite! I could play for hours in the middle of the night in any of my small apartments in San Francisco. I'd put the master volume just a tiny bit above zero and it worked great…

The one on top:
View attachment 87666

You can buy or better build yourself, a volume pot in a tin which is jacked into the FX loop. This allows you to really crank the pre amp stages, up to the phase inverter which can give a good tone and also allow the regular master volume to have a wider range and therefore better control.

N very B! These things are sold as "attenutors" and more than one gitists had thought they were SPEAKER attenuators, or as I prefer to call them, power soaks. They are not and you would need a pretty humungous one to handle the 160W Peavey!

Dave.

I'm a HUGE J Mascis fan

I think we're gonna be friends.

Being an apartment dweller myself I run guitars through a Mesa V-Twin which is a hardware preamp with a built in speaker sim. It gets very decent results. Sansamp pedals work well too. In my opinion the best option is to make some friends in the area who are also into music and see if you can track guitar at there house from time to time.
You could also track with sims and reamp at a later point.

What is that, one watt? Who's the manufacturer?

Here's a link: (3 W's).frequencycentral.co.uk - Frequency Central. Look under "Valve Amplifiers".

In some of the demos he's using a 4x12 cabinet and it sounds great. I'd like to have one just as a curio on my desk. It would beat the hell out of those swinging ball things…

I have a 4w Vox AC4 that I love. The 1 Watt power setting is still loud enough to make your neighbors hate you. Stick it in a closet that has a lot of clothes in it and you might have a nice recording solution.

Use any amp you want and mic it up, Putt a Thick BLANKET over it and play ;-) even better if you put every thing in a clothes closet
that way you can get the sound you like, without to disturb anyone, and if you sing, do it in the clothes closet to! .....Better than a Studio room!

Good luck

Does this blanket trick work?

What would it take to soundproof a small area around an amp?

Do you think this would be a viable option?

Anyone know a manufacturer? I suck at building things.

I've never seen one that holds an entire amp, but you can get a iso speaker cab. Randall makes a decent iso cab. If you're using a combo, disable the built in speakers and connect the iso cab to the amp.

If you never try it YOU do the right thing.lol
Some things I don't have to try. Throwing a blanket over my Marshall or Mesa cab would not reduce the noise enough to not bother my hypothetical(don't have any) neighbors. If you're close micing the cab and the volume is not cranked it might work. Cranked it will not work. Just the bass notes alone would reverberate through the floor. Personally, I don't care what you do. If it works for you, more power to you. If you have to go to through all that you might as well just use a good amp sim. It would be easier. Plus, 99.9% of people couldn't tell anyway. :laughings:

Back