Best Amp Option for small apartment

Thanks, Miner.

How do the sims work if you want to use pedals? Say you want to use a distortion pedal + wah at the same time. How on earth do you do that on a sim? Do I need my GF to operate the way pedal with a mouse or something?? :wtf:

Thanks, Miner.

How do the sims work if you want to use pedals? Say you want to use a distortion pedal + wah at the same time. How on earth do you do that on a sim? Do I need my GF to operate the way pedal with a mouse or something?? :wtf:
Some sim programs actually come with it's own pedalboard. Guitar Rig has some thing called a Kontrol board.

Or you can use actual pedals and run them all into your interface like it's an amp..

Just plug your guitar into whatever pedal you wanna use, then out from the pedal into your interface.....you'll be recording the fx on the di track, & won't be able to change 'em after the fact that way though....or, you could record your di/ampsim the way you always do, & then re-amp with the pedals in the signal chain....there are a lot of ways to do this shit man, & are no set rules....myself, I like recording a di so I can re-amp/change the guitar sound later....I'm able to move the mic, tweak the amp, & don't have to worry about playing.....keep us informed....

Just plug your guitar into whatever pedal you wanna use, then out from the pedal into your interface.....you'll be recording the fx on the di track, & won't be able to change 'em after the fact that way though....or, you could record your di/ampsim the way you always do, & then re-amp with the pedals in the signal chain....there are a lot of ways to do this shit man, & are no set rules....myself, I like recording a di so I can re-amp/change the guitar sound later....I'm able to move the mic, tweak the amp, & don't have to worry about playing.....keep us informed....

Thanks, Miner, but I mean if I wanted to use various software pedals in the sim software all at the same time. How do you use a software pedal that requires rocking, like a wah? Greg mentions some software have pedal boards. I'm intrigued by amplitude--which pedal board would work with that one? I'm researching it now but maybe someone already knows.

Is it possible to map each pedal to a midi controller? Like the A key = wah pedal, Bb = Distortion, etc?

Thanks, Miner, but I mean if I wanted to use various software pedals in the sim software all at the same time. How do you use a software pedal that requires rocking, like a wah? Greg mentions some software have pedal boards. I'm intrigued by amplitude--which pedal board would work with that one? I'm researching it now but maybe someone already knows.

Is it possible to map each pedal to a midi controller? Like the A key = wah pedal, Bb = Distortion, etc?

You can use a midi controller to do the wah, or anything for that matter....You just have to learn the software & how to assign midi controller to whatever parameter/knob you wanna control....In both Amplitube 3 & Guitar Rig 4/5, you can control any of the knobs on the amps, stompboxes, etc....

The way I do it is using automation in the daw....I assign the parameter/knob that I wanna control/change, & draw the automation in with the mouse....Doing it this way is very, very tedious, but I have complete control over what the automation does.....Sometimes I'll use my midi keyboard's pitch wheel to get the basic automation curve I want, then tweak it with the mouse.....Usually I do this with a wah pedal, most of the time if I'm using a chorus/flange pedal (just for example), I only use automation to turn that effect on/off at certain times in the song.....

You can also record just the automation/midi control over top of the existing di track, that way, you only record the wah (for example) changes, & it won't affect your actual playing/performance.....

Lots of ways to do this man, you just need to figure out what's best for you.....

You could take a track to somewhere else (say a studio) and actually record the guitars the way you wanted. Cost would be minimal for an hour or two of session. There are studios locally that still work in the $30-40 range. Get your amp sounding like you want it, jam the session, record everything and take it home to your own studio. Sort it out there. Most studios have some amps in house, just look around for one that has something you'd be interested in playing through.

You could take a track to somewhere else (say a studio) and actually record the guitars the way you wanted. Cost would be minimal for an hour or two of session. There are studios locally that still work in the $30-40 range. Get your amp sounding like you want it, jam the session, record everything and take it home to your own studio. Sort it out there. Most studios have some amps in house, just look around for one that has something you'd be interested in playing through.

:D It is usual on these boards, to use the "Reply With Quote" option rather than to cut and paste and use someone else's post verbatim. I'm honored that you thought my post was that wonderful, but it really didn't need to be made twice without additional comment...:D

I'm gonna change my answer and say get a Marshall Major.

My guitar teacher had one of those in the 60's. He loved it.

They were also a 200watt PA head.

Joe Perry (Aerosmith) uses 3 of them. He has the biggest amp set-up I've ever seen. He has a total of about 12 amps, (mostly 100watters.)

compare that to:

Mike Cambel (Tom Petty) who uses one or two 20watt amps, to play the same arenas.

As someone above said, the Blackstar HT5 is a cool amp. I have the HT5RH. Plenty loud driving 1-4 x 12. Speaker emulated output for silent recording.

Yamaha THR10s are also great little boxes.

Guitar Rig 5 is very good. Even the models available as input effects on my Zoom R24 are pretty darn good.

The Digitech RP1000 is a great piece of kit built for the floor with expression and footswitches.

My guitar teacher had one of those in the 60's. He loved it.

They were also a 200watt PA head.

Joe Perry (Aerosmith) uses 3 of them. He has the biggest amp set-up I've ever seen. He has a total of about 12 amps, (mostly 100watters.)

compare that to:

Mike Cambel (Tom Petty) who uses one or two 20watt amps, to play the same arenas.

Richie Blackmore was a famous Major user. The PA heads were a little different. The PA heads were basically kind of like a 100w Super Lead and Super Bass circuit in one. The Major was just a 200 watt mega monster.

Since I live in a condo - and do most of my recording at night, by need, I have to use sims (I choose hardware, vs. software - since I still like to have something I can touch, stomp on, etc.)

Over the years, I've owned a LIne 6 Pod 2.0, a Johnson J-Station, a Behringer V-Amp, a Tech 21 TriAC and most recently a Vox Tonelab LE and Tonelab ST (I'm always buying used gear off Craigslist at a low enough cost to allow me to experiment) - I also have a Vox AD30VT cab with an attenuator as well as other actual combos by Marshall, FendorPeavey and Vox (although I rarely get to use any of the combos anymore)

Do any off them sound as good or better than a Marshall with a couple of 12s moiving a lot of air - no. However, for my needs sims have worked effectively (I don't have anyone (including guitar playing peers indicate that my recorded guitar tones suck (on occasion, the actual playing may not be all that great).

I have no experiance at all with software sims - but the Vox hardware sims are very decent (I never touch the Line 6 since I purchased the Vox units)

I have no experiance at all with software sims - but the Vox hardware sims are very decent (I never touch the Line 6 since I purchased the Vox units)

I also have a Vox tonelab st. Running that into a software sim sounds pretty good. The 12AX7 does help that unit's tone. For 150.00 bucks new I think its a very good deal, considering you can easily spend that on one pedal.

Regarding amps for small apartments, I have a 160 watt Peavey Mace head and 412 cabinet. Anyone familiar with these monstrous beasts will verify that it's loud as shite! I could play for hours in the middle of the night in any of my small apartments in San Francisco. I'd put the master volume just a tiny bit above zero and it worked great…

The one on top:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding amps for small apartments, I have a 160 watt Peavey Mace head and 412 cabinet. Anyone familiar with these monstrous beasts will verify that it's loud as shite! I could play for hours in the middle of the night in any of my small apartments in San Francisco. I'd put the master volume just a tiny bit above zero and it worked great…
But what kind of recordable tone are you getting?

Back