BearRinger gettin' spanked by the FCC?!

mshilarious said:
In Behringer's case, it's pretty clear what happened: somebody filed a complaint. Says so right in the FCC notice.

Maybe Mackie...

This express train to judgement is revealing...So if it were to happen to virtually any other manufacturer, say a high-end outfit like Neve or Sennheiser or Yamaha or some such, are they as guilty-on-demand?

Does it matter if they deserve it or not to be railroaded as an example? Not saying they aren't guilty, but these government agencies LOVE to push their weight around, and nobody says it like you guys what an inept crew of buffoons our government is...Except, perhaps when they light upon a victim you approve of...

I'll wait...Being as this case doesn't change my income or religion any...

Eric

stetto said:
but these government agencies LOVE to push their weight around, and nobody says it like you guys what an inept crew of buffoons our government is...Except, perhaps when they light upon a victim you approve of...

You'll be hard pressed to find a post of mine where I describe bureaucrats as inept buffoons . . . lazy buffoons maybe, but generally they know what they are doing a LOT better than their politically appointed bosses. I worked enough years in DC to know the difference, and I'm a lazy buffoon myself ;)

Also, there is no "express train to judgment". The FCC's process to this point took a year, and there were two ROIs issued before this proposed fine. Behringer can contest the fine administratively with the FCC, and if they still don't like the result, they can litigate. This might not be settled for years.

I don't expect that will be the case, because it's bad press. So I think Behringer will hire a competent lawyer who will get it settled quietly and cheaply.

stetto said:
but these government agencies LOVE to push their weight around, and nobody says it like you guys what an inept crew of buffoons our government is...Except, perhaps when they light upon a victim you approve of...

Eric

Who are "you guys"?

boingoman said:
Who are "you guys"?

You know, we talked about that at the last meeting... :rolleyes:

Oops! You were the guy who forgot the secret handshake so we didn't let you in, ah yes.... it's all coming back to me now. :eek:

:D

-mr moon

mshilarious said:
You'll be hard pressed to find a post of mine where I describe bureaucrats as inept buffoons . . . lazy buffoons maybe, but generally they know what they are doing a LOT better than their politically appointed bosses. I worked enough years in DC to know the difference, and I'm a lazy buffoon myself ;)

Excuse me, my mistake...I must be generalizing following the "buffoonery" involved in the case of several government entities, local, state AND federal in the Katrina aftermath...Sorry to lump your buffonery with the buffoonery of others... :o

Also, there is no "express train to judgment". The FCC's process to this point took a year, and there were two ROIs issued before this proposed fine. Behringer can contest the fine administratively with the FCC, and if they still don't like the result, they can litigate. This might not be settled for years.

Actually I wasn't referring to the FCC...Read the previous posts in this thread and all the Behringer threads on this site, there has been condemnation from the git-go. Whether it be merited isn't the point, that it is based on opinion and not PROVEN fact is enough.

I don't expect that will be the case, because it's bad press. So I think Behringer will hire a competent lawyer who will get it settled quietly and cheaply.

I don't see Behringer doing anything stupid either, considering that money's at stake (and that's what's important, eh?)...Now, isn't there supposed to be a label on electronical gear that announces that piece of gear's adherance to FCC regs? If there IS a label and the gear does NOT adhere, we're talking criminal fraud then, aren't we...

Eric

stetto said:
I don't see Behringer doing anything stupid either, considering that money's at stake (and that's what's important, eh?)...Now, isn't there supposed to be a label on electronical gear that announces that piece of gear's adherance to FCC regs? If there IS a label and the gear does NOT adhere, we're talking criminal fraud then, aren't we...

Eric

Yes, there must be a label. I believe from reading the complaint that there were no such labels; rather, Behringer asserted that it believed CE compliance should be sufficient for FCC compliance as well. A novel concept, probably scientifically true, but that doesn't cut the mustard legally.

I don't recall any assertions of fraud, with the exception of some possible misrepresentations to US Customs. But I believe all such behavior was taken into account in the proposed fine, and no criminal prosecutions are contemplated.

mshilarious said:
Yes, there must be a label. I believe from reading the complaint that there were no such labels; rather, Behringer asserted that it believed CE compliance should be sufficient for FCC compliance as well. A novel concept, probably scientifically true, but that doesn't cut the mustard legally.

I don't recall any assertions of fraud, with the exception of some possible misrepresentations to US Customs. But I believe all such behavior was taken into account in the proposed fine, and no criminal prosecutions are contemplated.

CE marking doesn't even require agency or third party testing. It simply requires that you state that your product will comply with the applicable European directives and that you can provide evidence if required. It's a joke for anyone who knows about FCC part 15 to hear the rediculous assertion that CE compliance would nullify the need for FCC OATS testing. In fact, after telling the commision that "a range" of their products had passed CE, the commision found that only one of the products in question had passed testing for CE compliance.
I'm not jumping on the Behringer hate bandwagon. I'm very involved in consumer electronics agency compliance certifications, both domestic and international, and this is an unbelievably gross defiance of the FCC's authority. I'm guessing they don't find this amusing at all, and are unlikely to settle it for a handslap. Government agencies don't like to be lied to or played the fool. They generally go from "lazy bufoons" to pissed off beaurocrats on a vendetta. And this is not Behringer being singled out and made the bad guy. They are not some cottage enterprise ignorant or lacking the resources to comply, nor is this a procedural slip up. This is arrogance of the highest order that tastes pretty bad as a chaser to swallowing our (US) trade deficit.

Behringer's FCC problem

As a Behringer owner I am insulted that Uli continues to both steal and cheat wherever he can.

Uli was poised to announce his IPO(initial public offering) last year, but for some reason he suspended it....I'm thinking it was due to this FCC compliance issue and wanted to avoid FTC and SEC attention...And of course, bad press for his new stockholders and the instant drop in share prices that would occur.

Some folks say this is just a slap on the wrist and will blow over soon. I disagree. I think this is just the first bite of many to come for Uli and company...If this doesn't build a case for the FTC, then nothing will.

Anyone see Beh's new warrenty program? "It's broken? Fuck, we can't even fix it... here's a new one." They've got a strange cartoon to illustrate it on their home page.

Behringer Bull

It's funny, I see someone mentioned the digital mixers,the ddx3216, they went like hotcakes around here when they came out I know 3 ppeople that got em, right, cheaper than the yamaha by $2000, who can beat that, well I don't know one guy who still has it. All 3 shit the bed with in a matter of a few months of each other and behringer is so confident in their product that they just gave em their money back and told the dealer to junk em. It don't make sense to me at all. Just glad I never bought one.

heroics321 said:
Anyone see Beh's new warrenty program? "It's broken? Fuck, we can't even fix it... here's a new one." They've got a strange cartoon to illustrate it on their home page.
Yeah, that is new!....Jesus! I've always considered them disposable...Mabe it's Behringers way of cleaning up the enviroment.

My last 2 Behringer products failed just weeks out of warranty....They wouldn't even return my emails when I inquired about repairs.....Never again!

Back