Bassists that rock?

Flint Loveless

Anyone know of any bassists that don't horribly blow? I know, we got the Les Claypool fans and there's always Vic to fall back on, but I've been mulln' it over and I think they're a couple of blow hards. Over rated by far! Anyone got my back on this? And could someone please impress me with some talent!

-Flint

jon myung from dream theater?...im not sure how you spell his name ...but holy shit is he good . lots of wanking mind you ...but good none the less

Flea from RHCP
and despite the "low-skill" ethos of punk music, Matt Freeman from Rancid is pretty damn good. Check out the bass solo on "Maxwell Murder".

Oh and Cliff Burton...well he was anyway.

i could spend the rest of the day rattling off bass players who are among the most gifted musicians who have ever lived. instead, i'll just say:

mike watt

jaco, victor wooten, stu hamm(gotta love peanuts), P-nut from 311 imo is one of the most talented rock bassist right now, along with ryan from mudvayne. Theres more, but i just wanted to make a short list.

Matt

legionserial said:
Flea from RHCP
and despite the "low-skill" ethos of punk music, Matt Freeman from Rancid is pretty damn good. Check out the bass solo on "Maxwell Murder".

Slow down one of Matt's solos and you'll find that there's no melodic figure, it's just a seemingly random series of notes that don't apply to the key of the song.

My vote goes to Stanley Clarke.

espskully said:
Rob Trujillo, Armand Sabal-Leco, Tony Levin, Baghiti Khumalo.

good ones, but i'm not familiar with baghiti khumalo. who is he?

here's a few more:

john entwhistle
jack bruce
jack cassidy
paul mccartney
bootsie collins
john wetton
john paul jones
oteil burbridge

legionserial said:
Flea from RHCP

on that solo, it has to be said, he may be a good bass player but all he is doing is playing faster than he is able to.

mshilarious said:
Most notably, he played on Paul Simon's "Graceland".

oh cool, i knew of armand sabal-leco from paul's live band around the time of his concert in central park. i didn't realize there was a different bassist on the graceland album.

Plenty!

How about:

1. Chris Squire (Yes) - "Heart of the Sunrise", "Starship Trooper"

2. Geddy Lee (Rush) - "YYZ", "La Villa Strangiato"

3. John Entwistle (The Who), "The Real Me", "Heaven and Hell"

4. Jaco Pastorius (solo/Weather Report/etc.), "Come On, Come Over", "Barbary Coast"

5. Vic Wooten (Bela Fleck & the Flecktones) - "The Sinister Minister", The Flecktones first album really rocks my whole world [but, probably everything w/his name on it would qualify for this list]

I guess I'm looking for complication. Victor Wooten's got game, but it's a lot of riff-raff! Jaco Pastorious is the same way. Claypool's got some sick solo's that make you wanna get up, but I can only find two of them, that and when I re-listened to them I realised that I got way better then that. Stanley Clarke is my boy though! He's got melody game, other then that I'm not impressed.

Am I asking too much?

-Flint

Back