Baritone guitars

Capt. Snazzy...

I just put a Fender Telecaster Deluxe in my Musician's Friend wish list, after doing some mental number crunching that it'll cost about the same to mod the Tele Deluxe (pickups, switches and a baritone neck) as it would to build a baritone Telecaster from parts and pieces. I still haven't yet ruled out the Gretsch Jet baritone, or even Danelectro's baritone...I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Until then, I'll explore the possibilities of my down tuned Fender So-Cal Speed Shop Strat. The first time I played it, after it arrived from Musician's Friend, I must've really thrashed on it 'cause the second time I played it, I discovered that it was out of tune, in most cases as much as a whole note down. Last night, I decided to detune it again, taking everything to D, G, C, F, A, D and pretty much decided that's just right for that particular axe. Still, I want lower than that, and as soon as I can I'll be adding a baritone to my collection.

Matt in Indiana

Word.

If you can afford to not have to use the baritone as your main/money axe, you won't regret getting something that has the neck scale to properly support the low tunings. Like I mentioned earlier, I love that jaguar. It is really refreshing to be able to play the lower stuff, and play it hard too, and not worry about re-tuning the thing every 10 or 15 minutes. The only drawback is the fact that the heavier gauge strings and lower tunings give it a tone that's better used sparingly...
If you didn't live in freakin Indiana, I'd invite you to come by and play on it, it's quite a departure from a standard scale guitar.
Anyway, best of luck with the tele, I've been wanting one for awhile, it's finally on the short list so maybe it'll happen soon.

Take care.

Aaron

Clive Hugh said:
I've got an old 7inch EP of Jet Harris playing Besame Mucho, first thing he did after the Shadows.

OH yeah.....not heard that one, Diamonds & Scarlet O' Hara is what I've heard

cripes I love that stuff & I'm a Shadows freak

I think I'll download some Spotnicks......never heard them

OH YEAH BEFORE I FORGET

Danny Gatton played a custom double neck tele-strat & baritone ouch!!!!!!, I've got a 1993 live performance & he fuckin' well rules

Capt. Snazzy said:
If you can afford to not have to use the baritone as your main/money axe, you won't regret getting something that has the neck scale to properly support the low tunings. Like I mentioned earlier, I love that jaguar. It is really refreshing to be able to play the lower stuff, and play it hard too, and not worry about re-tuning the thing every 10 or 15 minutes. The only drawback is the fact that the heavier gauge strings and lower tunings give it a tone that's better used sparingly...
If you didn't live in freakin Indiana, I'd invite you to come by and play on it, it's quite a departure from a standard scale guitar.
Anyway, best of luck with the tele, I've been wanting one for awhile, it's finally on the short list so maybe it'll happen soon.

Take care.

Aaron
Yes it's a bit far to go for a jam but thanks anyhows.
I think I'll check out the Fender Jag baritone tho'.
Clive

Back