Baritone guitars

Clive Hugh

I am toying with the idea of putting a baritone neck in one of my strats. Has anyone got or used a baritone? I like the idea of a really low end solo in some numbers but am wondering as to how limiting they are as an alternative guitar?
Clive

they are really cool, i don't know if you could use alot. But as a backing on the lower end, you could really get creative with it. I say go for it

i finally got to play a baritone recently. sounds great but everything i was playing sounded like an intro to some awful numetal song.
theres a band called supine to sit that uses 2 baritones and a bass and they write fucking awesome almost poppy songs usually noodling around on the higher register but sometimes doing a nosedive into the low open strings.

I've got one, it's a real honey. Strings are kindofa challenge I have to almost custom a set everytime. The baritone sets available always come with a wound G which is not my thing. It's pretty cool if you can avoid the numetal sound and do something cool with it.

bileshake said:
I've got one, it's a real honey. Strings are kindofa challenge I have to almost custom a set everytime. The baritone sets available always come with a wound G which is not my thing. It's pretty cool if you can avoid the numetal sound and do something cool with it.
Being an old sod I doubt very much that I would be doing the numetal thing but we have 2 countryish songs that we do and I started thinking about a solo in the bass register and thats where it came from. In the 60's Fender made a 6 string bass/guitar that was popular for a while as a solo instrument, it even had a whammy bar. I dont know if it was a true bass guitar or baritone, haven't ever seen one up close, only in adverts.

My father has a Fender VI bass pre CBS with three pickup switches & when tuned up a tone above concert with pretty light strings (fender do a baritone set!!) along with the tremelo arm OUCH

a smattering of slapback & some plate verb & wow instant Jet Harris

I don't own a baratone as such, I've got a mandocello (low C) and two presets on my Variax acoustic; one takes it down 7 frets and the other, an octave. I love the sound of the lower register and especially the airyness of the mandocello.

A couple of things; you have to think about solos a bit differently and play slowly and simply to be effective. Secondly, they don't go over all that well live...except to other guitar players.

I have a Danelectro baritone guitar that I bought several years ago. It's a cool thing to have in your arsenal. I've not used it of late, though. I bought a new set of strings, and I just haven't had time to change them. In my old band, we used them clean and distorted for different songs during the set...just to change things up a bit.

They're pretty damn fun.

I don't mind baritones, but I would much rather have a 7-string at my disposal. A 7-string is simply a Baritone with and added Low-B. I love some of the sounds you get with a 7-string. But it does get old, nonetheless. You begin sounding like Korn! :rolleyes:

Same here. My friend's old 7-string Ibanez was tuned the same as a standard guitar, but with an added low B.

I have a couple Cure records where Robert Smith is credited as playing "six string bass"...I've always assumed that this was referring to a baritone guitar, and not a six-string "I'm gonna play some Primus songs" bass. Anybody know?

Actually I guess it all depends on the scale length and what your after. Most guitar companies these days sell baritones as dropped tunning metal guitars with a 27"scale or less and then MusicMan has one that's listed with their basses and I think it's 28" or more. With humbuckers.
I always say do whatever you want with what you can but that's hard here because it's rare to see more than on baritone in a gtr store for comparison.
I think if it's country I'd rig up a strat or tele with a longer neck instead of picking up a 7string. The longer scale would give you more of a natural tone than a heavier string on a shorter scale sevenstring. i'd look for a bright body wood also to avoild the fore mentioned problems live. My esp horizon is all maple which I thought was odd at first but that brightness saves the low from comming across as an muffled thud. Rock out...

Adam P said:
Same here. My friend's old 7-string Ibanez was tuned the same as a standard guitar, but with an added low B.

I have a couple Cure records where Robert Smith is credited as playing "six string bass"...I've always assumed that this was referring to a baritone guitar, and not a six-string "I'm gonna play some Primus songs" bass. Anybody know?

a baritone guitar is essentially in between guitar and bass -- they're usually short-scale bass length necks, but tuned a 5th or a 4th below a regular guitar. most seven-string guitars add a low b to the bottom of guitar (it's like the low b on a 5-string bass, but an octave higher.)

Baritone Guitar: BGDAEB (typically 27"-28"ish scale)
7-string guitar: BEADGBE (typically 25"ish scale)
5-string bass: BEADG (30"+ scale)

the six-string bass that robert smith played is the 60's Fender Bass VI that was mentioned earlier in this thread. it's an augmented jazzmaster body with three pickups, a tremelo bar and a short-scale bass neck. pretty weird beast, really. the strings are tuned just like a guitar, but an octave lower. Danelectro made one of these (as does Jerry Jones) and a baritone guitar. Gibson also had one back in the 60s--the EB-6, which was just like an EB-2 (es335 style body) but with six strings, a short-scale bass neck and tuned like a guitar an octave lower. I would kill for one.

a modern (80's-nowish) six string bass is typically a 5-string bass with a higher string added onto the top.

The six-string bass was sometimes used in the 60's to double bass lines and add a different character--even though it's in the same range, the lighter strings and body/pickup arrangements often made for a pluckier, guitarier sound.

robert smith made somewhat of a signature sound using them throughout the cure's career, most of the lead melodies make use of its peculiar combination of thump, bell and twangle that it delivers on the upper registers. (hum 'spiderman' and you're probably humming the bass six line.) Teisco also made one in the 60s which blonde redhead used (and use) all over their work.

The danelectro bass six (which i snatched up when the reintroduced it a while back) was identical to the baritone guitar they issued a little while later, just with a different set of strings. If you buy either a baritone or a six-string bass (tuned like a guitar) you can probably safely experiment with using two sets of strings--baritone strings and six-string bass strings, and the coordinate tunings.

one advantage of the baritone is that you can still play most chords on it in first position--first position chords on a bass six tend to sound like mud, making it primarily a melody instrument with a deep range. this also lets you use it as a tradeoff instrument the way that blonde redhead often does--you can play lead melodies or chords in the higher positions, and then treat it like a bass when you need groove, thunder and evil.

wow. i had no idea i knew so much about these instruments. looking back at how long this post is, i really hope i didn't just make all that up.

osus said:
a baritone guitar is essentially in between guitar and bass -- they're usually short-scale bass length necks, but tuned a 5th or a 4th below a regular guitar. most seven-string guitars add a low b to the bottom of guitar (it's like the low b on a 5-string bass, but an octave higher.)

Baritone Guitar: BGDAEB (typically 27"-28"ish scale)
7-string guitar: BEADGBE (typically 25"ish scale)
5-string bass: BEADG (30"+ scale)

the six-string bass that robert smith played is the 60's Fender Bass VI that was mentioned earlier in this thread. it's an augmented jazzmaster body with three pickups, a tremelo bar and a short-scale bass neck. pretty weird beast, really. the strings are tuned just like a guitar, but an octave lower. Danelectro made one of these (as does Jerry Jones) and a baritone guitar. Gibson also had one back in the 60s--the EB-6, which was just like an EB-2 (es335 style body) but with six strings, a short-scale bass neck and tuned like a guitar an octave lower. I would kill for one.

a modern (80's-nowish) six string bass is typically a 5-string bass with a higher string added onto the top.

The six-string bass was sometimes used in the 60's to double bass lines and add a different character--even though it's in the same range, the lighter strings and body/pickup arrangements often made for a pluckier, guitarier sound.

robert smith made somewhat of a signature sound using them throughout the cure's career, most of the lead melodies make use of its peculiar combination of thump, bell and twangle that it delivers on the upper registers. (hum 'spiderman' and you're probably humming the bass six line.) Teisco also made one in the 60s which blonde redhead used (and use) all over their work.

The danelectro bass six (which i snatched up when the reintroduced it a while back) was identical to the baritone guitar they issued a little while later, just with a different set of strings. If you buy either a baritone or a six-string bass (tuned like a guitar) you can probably safely experiment with using two sets of strings--baritone strings and six-string bass strings, and the coordinate tunings.

one advantage of the baritone is that you can still play most chords on it in first position--first position chords on a bass six tend to sound like mud, making it primarily a melody instrument with a deep range. this also lets you use it as a tradeoff instrument the way that blonde redhead often does--you can play lead melodies or chords in the higher positions, and then treat it like a bass when you need groove, thunder and evil.

wow. i had no idea i knew so much about these instruments. looking back at how long this post is, i really hope i didn't just make all that up.

WOW that was stunning

Gibson EB6 eh, if I find one first you aint gettin' it

I have an Avante acoustic baritone guitar that i picked up last year in Nashville, love it for finger style although i use light strings tuned up a bit from baritone but lower than guitar C# or even open G sometimes...

guitar is very nice and i got mine for $250 used...

Sam Ash had no clue what it was....

Photo of Gibson EB-6

I've also seen an SG/EB-3 style solid body 6 string (also called EB-6). It was on display at the Hard Rock Cafe in Jakarta and was owned by Chris Squire and said to have been used on the "Yes Album". Rumor has it that both of these 6 string Gibsons were manufactured in very small quintities. Probably less than 100 each.

I'm thinking about a Gretsch Electromatic Jet baritone, which has a 29" scale, although a Fender Jaguar baritone with humbuckers in place of the single coils might not be a bad idea either. I've also been kicking about the idea of building my own baritone, which would essentially be a "Telecaster Deluxe" with coil tapped humbuckers. In the end, I may just buy a Fender Telecaster Deluxe and replace the neck with a baritone neck.

Matt in Indiana

slidey said:
My father has a Fender VI bass pre CBS with three pickup switches & when tuned up a tone above concert with pretty light strings (fender do a baritone set!!) along with the tremelo arm OUCH

a smattering of slapback & some plate verb & wow instant Jet Harris
I've got an old 7inch EP of Jet Harris playing Besame Mucho, first thing he did after the Shadows.

Unsprung...

Can't comment on the quality of the gretsch baritone, but I have that new fender jaguar baritone "HH" (the non-bass IV tuned model...) and it is THIIIIICK.
Played through a nice tube head and a 4x12, it can easily step all over an electric bass, it's something that would have to be used sparingly in a live setting. But I have a ton of fun just using it to thicken standard guitar parts, it sits so well just in between guitar and bass parts, you just have to set the volume on the baritone tracks a tad lower than the guitar parts, the action and feel on the fender is so good, I sometimes use it for normal guitar parts, it actually feels more playable for some parts than my strat...
Anyway, just wanted to chime in with my personal experience regarding the jaguar baritone...Very nice guitar though a tad heavy (wearing it on a strap is like having a midget strung on your neck).

Aaron

Back