Bad nut slots on Fender

and really....... when you do them all the time they don't take that long to do.

It takes me about an hour to rough cut and fit. It's normal to do a bit of fiddling as you continue with the setup so the actual time is hard to pin down. I guess it boils down to how your used to working and what you believe is the correct fix. I'd rather fit a new nut in most cases. The superglue fix takes about five minutes..:) I suppose I do about 4 or 5 new nut a month plus any instruments I'm finishing which can be anything from none to 3 or 4. I tidy up loads while doing setups though.

why would you use superglue?
I've found it to be useless for anything to do with ....... well, anything. It used to drive me nuts when I'd do a piano repair behind someone that had used superglue since it filled the grain and made it difficult to do a proper repair. Sure, this isn't a wood repair per se, but i still find superglue to be of poor durability.
Why not a good epoxy? It's WAY more durable.

Epoxy is evil!!!! It has no place on guitar repair, because it is completely and totally non-reversible. As Muttley said, I use it sometimes while building, but never for repair.

You don't use Cyanoacrylate for anything that needs a lot of strength, you use it for things that need a little insurance. A drop on either side of the nut, for instance, to keep it in place. Or to fill very small, fine, non-structural cracks - such as a tiny crack in a fingerboard. It actually is very strong, depending on what kind of strength you need. It has great strength against direct force, but sheer force will rip it apart without problem. Cyanoacrylate is also the recommended glue for Martin's X series guitars. Though I guess that's not really a recommendation.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Epoxy is evil!!!! It has no place on guitar repair, because it is completely and totally non-reversible. As Muttley said, I use it sometimes while building, but never for repair.
Light ..... sometimes you're so eager to show how stupid everyone is but you, that you gloss over peoples' posts and just reply to the part you want.
I VERY clearly was asking about epoxy only in the context of filling a slot in a nut where its' irreversibility would not be an issue. and when I commented on piano repairs; I said what drove me nuts was people using superglue on wood repairs because it screwed the wood up for correct repairs although I didn't word it quite that specifically. Obviously epoxy would fall into that category also. In pianos neither is useful for much of anything and I believe, let me check ........ ummmmmmm, yes, here it is right here ..... piano wood bears a strong resemblance to guitar wood.
After 30+ years of rebuilding pianos and some years of building guitars, I know just as much about working on wood as you do although clearly there will be LOTS of guitar techniques that you're more familiar with than I am just as there are LOTS of piano issues that I know a shitload more about than you.
But in the context of filling a low slot in a nut ....... if I were going to do that (I wouldn't ....... I'd just cut a new nut), I'd want a filler material that would last and some strong epoxies would last longer than superglue IMO. You may disagree about that but that's ALL we're talking about here.
For wood repairs (which is not what we were talking about) neither is any good and I can't imagine that you use superglue for that either.
So you're using different criteria for your position and mine.When I mention epoxy ..... I must be a stupid fuck that would use it on wood even though I specifically mentioned one of the problems that would cause while talking about superglue.
I always treat you and your knowledge with the respect due you for years of doing what you do. Considering that I've been doing related work for probably even longer than you, I deserve the same.
Big difference between Muttley and you ....... he's always trying to be helpful while not talking down to people and seems to understand that he's not the only bright light on the string while you usually seem to want to use your knowledge to belittle people.
Doesn't really work in my case since I have the credentials to back up my thoughts but I sure do see you do the same thing to a lot of newbs.

I think we need to get a bit of perspective here, we don't need three of the bright lights going at each other..:)

To be fair to light, I don't think he was contradicting you rather just adding to the mix.

On the subject of epoxy vs cyanoacrylate vs aliphatic resin, whatever, I think we are all of one mind that a bad repair is a bad repair and none of us has really talked about exactly what sort of repair. I know many antique restorers and some piano repair shops that will use superglue on some tasks especially veneer patching. I'm no expert on piano repair I only know what I have observed so I defer on that. The important part is that there is nothing wrong with any of them as adhesives or even as grain fillers, it depends entirely on the nature of the task in hand. What is most often wrong with any of them is cleaning up other peoples mess..;) It's a case of the right glue for the job in hand.

Like light and you I am not at all fond of most epoxy resins as a general purpose glue line, but they do have their uses Mostly laminating and postfroming. I've used epoxy a lot for that. These days I tend towards cascamite, now there is a non reversible glue line..As a matter of interest what glues are most often used these days in piano repair/ manufacture?

With many modern epoxies heat can reverse them, some wont budge no matter what. One thing for certain even if you can release it cleaning up after is a nightmare. Denatured alcohol is about the only no destructive way and it's messy and not very effective. Even then your choice of glue to redo the bond is limited as many will not bond on old epoxy even if its just trace amounts.

Finally to be fair to light again. I seem to be the one that gets slammed for belittling newbs around here..:o All I ever try to do is provide factual information or qualified advice that I have first hand experience of. It's this place it turns the nicest of people into bad tempered ass's..:D

Lets try and hold it together so we can keep making this place worth visiting for those that want good all round info and also for those that just want a scrap..I value the input of you both..Thats it I'll duck for cover now..

Yeah! Are you going to just sit there and take it when Light usurps your title of Supreme Newb Belittler? ;^)

I suggest we all just take it in turns. I can still remember when I was a newb.:)

He knows his stuff thats good enough for me...

Light ..... sometimes you're so eager to show how stupid everyone is but you, that you gloss over peoples' posts and just reply to the part you want.

Whoa nelly there. I did, in fact, read your post, and as Muttley said, I was just adding my voice to the conversation. Not attacking you in any way. I've got no opinions on piano repair, but when it comes to fixing guitars epoxy is evil, and I know of no knowledgeable repair person who would disagree with me. The only guy I know who would disagree lost his Taylor warranty certification for doing a Taylor neck reset with epoxy.

And he got the angle wrong.

I consider filling the nut slot to be a worthless repair anyway, at least for the most part, whatever adhesive you use. The Dental compound is an interesting idea, but the cost would have to come WAY down for it to be worth while in my view.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Yeah! Are you going to just sit there and take it when Light usurps your title of Supreme Newb Belittler? ;^)

I had that reputation for YEARS before Muttley showed up around here! I've just been mellowing in the last year or two. (Just a bit though!)

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I had that reputation for YEARS before Muttley showed up around here! I've just been mellowing in the last year or two. (Just a bit though!)

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Hey you can have your crown back anytime.;)

The only guy I know who would disagree lost his Taylor warranty certification for doing a Taylor neck reset with epoxy.

And he got the angle wrong.
good lord!!!

He, apparently, didn't deserve to have the certification in the first place!

good lord!!!

He, apparently, didn't deserve to have the certification in the first place!

Well, there is a reason I say that we don't have any REAL competition here in town. That is, sadly, far from the worst thing he has done to a guitar. Not to mention that he frequently keeps peoples guitar for years without doing any work to them.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Another question about this guitar. Figured it was better than making a new thread.

The G string buzzes like a sitar whether it's open or fretted anywhere on the neck. I hadn't paid much attention before but it's weird and I've never had it do this on other guitars before. The fact it does the same thing open or fretted leads me assume maybe it's the saddle?

Another question about this guitar. Figured it was better than making a new thread.

The G string buzzes like a sitar whether it's open or fretted anywhere on the neck. I hadn't paid much attention before but it's weird and I've never had it do this on other guitars before. The fact it does the same thing open or fretted leads me assume maybe it's the saddle?

Or the neck is back-bowed, or too heavily bowed, or the action is too low. Get it to a good shop, and they will be able to let you know what's going on.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back