back to basics

groucho

Well, I've been doing all this messing around lately with vocal effects and weird soundscapes, so I took a break and went back to the old "guitar/harp/vox" thing. I'll tell ya right up front this is pretty much the only straight ahead love song I've ever written (I always dug Randy Newman's remark that all his attempts at love songs ended up "I love you... you bitch.") but I DON'T want that to inhibit you from tearing it a new asshole if you find shit wrong.

Okay.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3203/singles

Chris

Good story tell'in. It's 3am here and i'm on can's but, I wouldn't nit-pick this anyway's:) . Got a great voice for this kinda straight ahead stuff Chris..you ought to do more of it. Harp really set's this thing off...you're good at it too. Killer chop on the harp around the 4:13 mark:cool:

groucho!

I'll make this short cause I got cut off last time.
I heard it and LIKED it. I wouldn't change it.

Dan

Well, I figured I had to check out what my partner from the HRPD's spam control division was up to. :)

Good back-porch, pickin' and a grinnin' stuff.

Not much to comment on, although it sounded to me like the voice was doubled (possibly with one even just talking the part). Not sure why that was necessary in this type of music. I would axe it were it me... which of course it isn't. :D

Also, 320kbs encoding with a 10.4 mb file. Have some mercy on those of us poor souls with dial-up. ;)

All in all, good work, Chris.

I got to say,

No kidding your voice is equal 50/50 Charlie Daniels, and Mic Jagger. Absolute first thought that popped into my head, when your song started playing.

Really nice tune, recording and playing all around!!

GT

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dachay: boy, was I outvoted on that spam thing.:) Ah well, I tried, but the irresistable allure of being broadcast to all 10 of the people who listen to internet radio... it was just too much...

Okay, I admit it, I'm being a dick now... I apologize....

Anyway, not sure where the doubling sound is coming from. Are you listening on a player that has some built-in effects or anything? There's just one vox track - damn near dry as a bone too.

GT: Charlie Daniels and Mick Jagger.:) I gotta remember that one. Thanks much for the listen.

Chris

groucho said:
Anyway, not sure where the doubling sound is coming from. Are you listening on a player that has some built-in effects or anything? There's just one vox track - damn near dry as a bone too.
Well, if your telling me there was no doubling, I will have to listen again. I could swear I heard two vox trax. My apologies if my mind was playing tricks on me (it does that to me now and then :) ).

BTW, I think you're being generous assuming ten listeners for internet radio. But, hey, you can always tell the friends and family you got airplay, right? They just don't understand that our friend Dave needs them more than vice-versa. But, WTF, he's got a radio show, right?

You usual high quality sonic product, vox mixed well, easily understandable on the first listen. My favorite is still 'Friday Night'.

"This one" almost escaped the first page. :)

You're a Waits fan right? I posted an acapella cover of "The Briar and the Rose" this morning, but I deleted it, running out with my tail between my legs when I realized I should have tried more than two takes. Maybe another time... :D

This sounds terrific. You do much better with traditional mixing it seems, though I like to hear your experiments, like that stereo vocal you tried. I think that works sometimes in more dense mixes.

I like that break at 1:32. The harp sounds awesome. You play it well. The vocal is at a perfect level for this. It's like a country mix without being all that country.

I think if you recorded the acoustic with two mics and spread them out about 35-45% left and right it might breathe just a little bit more life into the mix. BUT it works very well as is too, so don't go setting up the gear in a panic (or am i the only one who reacts like that? :eek: ).

You write good honest lyrics and I appreciate that. Good job.

I love the "wah wah" part of the harp! Very cool.

Tom

Thanks SV, TR & TG.

There were a couple comments about the acoustic, and this was really why I posted this - I wanted to hear if anyone had suggestions about that part of the mix.

I would dearly love to play with micing an acoustic with 2 mics. I lie awake dreaming about it (I also dream about knowing a decent drummer). Unfortunately, I have but one mic. An ADK that I'm borrowing from a guy who I'm hoping has forgotten I have it.

I also have an SM57 but that ain't exactly an acoustic guitar mic.

So yeah, I gotta do the one mic thing, which isn't the best for acoustic, but I'm trying to get it as good as I can, given my gear limitations.

Thanks for the comments guys, and send along any suggestions on recording acoustic with one mic.

Chris

Oh hey Tom - put that Briar and Rose back up willya? I'd like to hear it.

Unless you're chicken...:)

(sound of clumsy imitation BAAAAWKing)

CHris

very nice, very nice......

a stereo micing on the acoustic might help fill out the stereo field a little more, but overall the mix is pretty solid for the type of song.....

good song.....good vocals too

Your lyrics were a kick in the ass. The acoustic as mentioned could use some stereo effect. The harmonica was a little bright. Good song. Ive used my SM57 to Mic my acoustic and Ive had compliments here on the sound. Might as well try it.
Myx

This is really good. I like the more straightforward sound on your vocals. The acoustic sounds great too. Nice and natural sounding. A lot of times recorded acoustics sound too sparkly to the point they sound electric. Yours sounds like a real acoustic guitar, and it sounds good.

No complaints or criticisms. Good stuff!

holy jumpin' 10 mb...
... .. ...... ... ..........

downloading...

10 MB! Okay, you owe me three reviews for this one LOL.

This one's fine. I like the look of the waveform even - nice dynamic range.

Lovely sound on both guitar and voice, and I think you struck a real good balance between the level of each. Which mic(s) and pre(s) did you use?

"I cast around for misery like a man who's drowning in the sea"

Got good lines too :)

3.08: sibilance

Not on this song perhaps, but on another similar tune, I'd really like to hear more harp - I wanted a longer harp break the first time, for example - I really like the sound and the playing.

Yeah, good work on this one. For this kind of tune, I think natural sound's the first thing you should reach for.

oooh....nice harp......I love a well played harmonica.

Nice song......verynice lyrics. I thought the guitar sounded pretty good......it lacked a little presense to my ears but this MP3.....different speakers.......different EQ settings crap gets a little confusing so maybe not, who knows?

Your voice came across well.....a unique distinctive voice.....that's a good thing to have.
Nice!

Back