Audio Technica AT2035

Murdersgalore

I have been researching a bang for the buck mic and have read many reviews regarding the Audio Technica AT2035. Does anyone have any hands on experience with this mic? And no...don't do that "if you would just spend a few hundred more you could get a <insert overpriced mic model here>" crap. keep any other recommendations under $150. Thanx.

I have a AT2035, for the price it is very good. I did track some vocals on it for a project, just to try it out, and while I have more expensive mics that I would usually select first, the AT2035 turned in very good results. As for bang for buck it gets a tick. Sound on sound magazine like it, and since the AT2020 is in the 50 smart buys article and the AT2035 is basically a AT2020 with a bass roll off and a pad switch, well there you go.

Now for the "why don't you get a MXL, Rode, AKG, xyz" replies ha ha.

Cheers

Alan.

Now for the "why don't you get a MXL, Rode, AKG, xyz" replies ha ha.

I do hate coming off like a prick but that kinda thing happens a lot. If I had the budget I wouldn't even be asking about this particular mic. It never fails you get bombarded with "That one is nice and all.....but for only $750 dollars more you can get a ShurodesMXKG titanium coated ribbontube mic with 12 capsules inside made of crushed diamond, you friggin newb."

Thanks for the informative response by the way.

"That one is nice and all.....but for only $750 dollars more you can get a ShurodesMXKG titanium coated ribbontube mic with 12 capsules inside made of crushed diamond, you friggin newb."

I like the one where someone asks if they should buy a SM58 or a SM57 and the replies are "Get a MXL condenser" or "Buy a Neumann", the guy asked if he should buy a SM58 or SM57 not what should I add to the wish list. :D

Alan.

I like the one where someone asks if they should buy a SM58 or a SM57 and the replies are "Get a MXL condenser" or "Buy a Neumann", the guy asked if he should buy a SM58 or SM57 not what should I add to the wish list. :D

Alan.

Yeah, but sometimes the 58 and 57 are the only mics they know, so they're the only ones they want to choose from.

Well, no wonder that 57's and 58's might be the only mics a noob would know- Shure has been making them longer than God has been making man...

Dear God,

Did you make us before we made you?

Yeah, but sometimes the 58 and 57 are the only mics they know, so they're the only ones they want to choose from.

The point I was trying to make is that you ask a question and get answers for a different question, a bit like taking to women.

"would you like a cup of tea?" women answer: "well I had one this morning, and another at lunch time, and I might have one tonight, etc etc"

Where the man answer is, "yes" or "no".

The point I was trying to make is that you ask a question and get answers for a different question, a bit like taking to women.

"would you like a cup of tea?" women answer: "well I had one this morning, and another at lunch time, and I might have one tonight, etc etc"

Where the man answer is, "yes" or "no".

Yeah, I understood you. I was just offering an explanation for some of the occurrences :D

I have been researching a bang for the buck mic and have read many reviews regarding the Audio Technica AT2035. Does anyone have any hands on experience with this mic? And no...don't do that "if you would just spend a few hundred more you could get a <insert overpriced mic model here>" crap. keep any other recommendations under $150. Thanx.

It seems like you've already made up your mind. AT mics are a good bang for the buck.

For under $100, you could get a pair of bolt cutters, a 2x4, a ski mask and some gas for your car to rob a music store and get the ShurodesMXKG titanium coated ribbontube mic with 12 capsules inside made of crushed diamond. There's some bang for your buck.

I've never used the 2035 but I do currently own both the 2020 and the 4040. If the 2035 is anything like the 2020, I suggest taking a pass on it. Although the price is right (that's the reason why I bought it!), it sounds really brittle and has a tendency to distort. I bought it last summer with a small diaphragm 2021 and I hated the mic so much that I went back to using dynamic mics for my vocals. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the 4040 and the difference was mind blowing! For such a small price difference, it really is worth saving up just a little bit more to buy the 4040, imo.

To think - if such a small jump up in price of microphones makes this much of a difference, how much more incredible must a $700 mic be?!!

Does anyone know how this compares to the v67g with singing vocals? I have been contemplating on getting this as my 2nd mic. Anyone experience it? My singing voice is more of a... Neyo style voice. I mainly sing to RnB and pop music. So any feedback would be great!

Does anyone know how this compares to the v67g with singing vocals? I have been contemplating on getting this as my 2nd mic. Anyone experience it? My singing voice is more of a... Neyo style voice. I mainly sing to RnB and pop music. So any feedback would be great!

The 67 is a good bang for the buck microphone to quote the OP.
What are you using for a preamp Kunit?

Dang! Now that's just to bad cause I know this microphone and it's only $151. But never mind it's out of your budget. :D

You might be able to get one of those so called c-rap microphones that new are $300. to $400. but able to get one used for around $150. just do a little shopping.

...if such a small jump up in price of microphones makes this much of a difference, how much more incredible must a $700 mic be?!!

Not to hijack the thread, but generally, it goes the other direction- as you pay more and more, you get decreasing improvements- this phenomenon is so common, it not only had a name- "the point of diminishing returns-" it is also familiar to just about everyone.

Alan.

Well, sometimes the question is more like, how do I get my pinto to go 200mph. Where you can't, you have to buy a porsche is an answer that might meet the goal, even if it wasn't the original question. But I guess you could get a pinto to go 200mph if you drove it off a cliff. Although for sky divers, 120mph is terminal velocity. The point where wind drag and gravity reach equilibrium. So you might have to mod the pinto to be shaped more like a rocket, and less like a car. Before you drive it off a cliff.

-----

I'd probably get a 2035 over a 2020. It seemed to spec better IMO. iirc, more directional than the 2020 too, so probably better suited for not so great rooms. Are there better mics, sure. For that kind of cash, well, it depends on where you live. And the rest of your recording chain. You might need a nitrous system(better preamp) to get the better mic results. But if you have the better preamp, you might not need the better mic.

To answer your query directly, my first condenser mic was an AT3035 and I was very happy with it on both vocals and acoustic guitar. As for the AT 2035, if you have budget constraints I think the mic is a good choice.

The 2035 is a very good bang for the buck mic.... fairly smooth and quite neutral with a characteristic AT sound.
It all depends what you're using it for...... but all round it is a better mic than the 3035 and the 2020 IMO.

for vocals, don't get a 2035. the 2020 is great on acoustic guitar and somet hings, but crappy on vocals.

the 2035 is basiically the same mic, updated.

oh, and "why don't you get a MXL, Rode, AKG, xyz"

I recommend the xyz. very cool mic.

Back