Audio Interface Vs Small Mixing Board

ARNK

Hey guys.

So up until this point, I've been using the Steinberg UR44, "6x4 USB 2.0 audio interface with 4x D-PREs, 24-bit/192 kHz support & MIDI I/O" to connect my equipment. Full specs, Specs & Downloads.

However, I just purchased an Allen & Heath ZED-12FX (ZED-12FX - Allen & Heath) because I have a few new pieces of equipment to plug in, and was wondering if there would be any reason for holding on to the UR44?

At this point, is the mixing board fully capable of taking over the duties of the UR44 audio interface, or would there be any reasons to use them together in some way?

Thanks for any insight.
ARNK

I just read the specs. It will only send two channels to the computer at one time. It gives you four different options of which two channels, but only two channels will be sent to the computer at once.

It will only monitor two channels from the computer.

I believe that it is only 16 bit and there is no midi.

Hang onto the UR44. The interface can take extra line inputs (not worked out exactly how many but at least 2 over the front panel ins) thus all you extra gear can rout through the Zed 12 and be recorded on two independent tracks.

I am also sure that if you study the Zed's manual you will find that you can route monitoring back from the UR44 and thus the mixer become the "master audio control"? The interface will just be a converter albeit with 4 mic inputs.

Yes, the mixer is only 16bits but I have a ZED10 and they are a very "good" 16 bit device and well capable of surely their intended use, that of capturing a live band where ambient noise is always boing to be way above a 16but noise floor. But! You HAVE 24bits now. Keep 'em!

Dave.

I'd go for an 8in/8out interface like the Roland OctaCapture over the Zed12 myself.

Well Dave, OP already HAS the Zed 12 and with the UR44 that gives him 6 mic channels and in fact you can use the AUX and FX sends on the Zeds to kludge two more channels if desperately needed.

Said it before but mixers do have several advantages over most AIs. Pan, EQ and in the case of my 10, HPFs per chann, no reason to think the 12 is lacking those? Mic gain and channel gain making gain setting more precise overall and the A&H pre amps are as good I think as you will find on almost any AI?

What exactly would an 8 channel AI bring better to the party?

I know the "received wisdom" is AI not mixer but since the OP has gone that route it will work very well IMHO.

Dave.

What exactly would an 8 channel AI bring better to the party?

Time. The ability to jam with multiple synths/modules and be able to record them to separate tracks in your DAW...
The Zed sends all channels as one stereo track (unless I've missed something huge?!) so you massively lose out on editability (I'm fully aware that I just made up a word here).
If you have 3 synths through the zed - they're stuck together - if you decide that one isn't sitting right you have to re-track the other two - separately if I want control in post. Through an 8in/8out interface this isn't an issue as they're sat on their own track in daw. Much less time consuming.

I'm currently using a 5 chan mixer and a 2in/2out - struggling with an ever expanding rig but a bigger mixer is just going to cost more in time.

Time. The ability to jam with multiple synths/modules and be able to record them to separate tracks in your DAW...
The Zed sends all channels as one stereo track (unless I've missed something huge?!) so you massively lose out on editability (I'm fully aware that I just made up a word here).
If you have 3 synths through the zed - they're stuck together - if you decide that one isn't sitting right you have to re-track the other two - separately if I want control in post. Through an 8in/8out interface this isn't an issue as they're sat on their own track in daw. Much less time consuming.

I'm currently using a 5 chan mixer and a 2in/2out - struggling with an ever expanding rig but a bigger mixer is just going to cost more in time.
Sorry Dave but yes, you HAVE missed something quite big! The OP is keeping the UR44. This has 4 mic inputs and at least two more line inputs so that is 6 tracks and from his post I think he wants the mixer as more a "selector" for other instruments rather than recording them on yet more tracks?

AFAIK he is alone so there are only so many things he can play at once!

Dave.

AFAIK he is alone so there are only so many things he can play at once!

Dave.
That really depends on what and how you play... But whatever - as a source selector it'll certainly do the job but I maintain that it's far more limited than an AI to DAW.

That really depends on what and how you play... But whatever - as a source selector it'll certainly do the job but I maintain that it's far more limited than an AI to DAW.

Well I suppose peeps DO hook 6 daisy chained synths to an AI!

But, maybe I just don't get it but how is using a mixer (and a good mixer at that) AND an AI into a Daw more limiting than an AI alone? Ok, he has just 6 tracks not 8 as the Roland you suggest would give him but I cannot see any other limitation?

If the OP did not already have the two pieces of gear would I suggest them? No but he does and they will do a good job IMHO.

Dave.

The zed is a great mixer - it's pres are class A. But it's USB only sends a stereo pair - 12 into 2 (I think it's a limitation of USB-1) to DAW; whereas most IA's will send all inputs separately. He hasn't got 6 tracks - he has 6 inputs going into 2 tracks
It's not just much better for electronic musicians (you got me!) but also for those wanting to record whole drum kits (even 3 mic 'ghetto style') or ensembles. Much more flexibility on mix-down.

Fair play - he already has both units... IMO (and I ain't gonna be humble about it) he should flog both, gain some real estate on his desk and buy a larger interface that allows him to do a great deal more in a much easier way.

"But it's USB only sends a stereo pair - 12 into 2" Yes Dave, I KNOW! I've got one!

But! OP will will not be using the USB function. The mixer will just operate as a mic/line pre amp and send 2 discrete tracks to the line inputs of the UR44.

I (well son) have been doing much the same for years with out Z10. The Main Outs go to a 2496 card, stuff USB! But I could equally well send the mixer MOs to the line inputs of my KA6 giving me 4 mic channels (well, the mixer would give a possible 4 mic stereo mix, handy if I had a bigger room a drum kit and a drummer!) OR! I could do the same thing with my 8i6.

Bottom line: The USB function of the mixer does not enter the picture (in practice you could probably run a USB backup as well)

Oh! And maybe the OP needs the mixer for other purposes. Band PA mayhap? We all has to cut our cloth to the shorn lamb.
Dave.

Back