at what point do you call yourself an Audio Engineer?

Is this guy an audio engineer?

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/customer-stories-video-film-and-audio/roger-mcguinn/

He records, mixes, and masters his own stuff and gets positive reviews in Rolling Stone. He's a home recordist, too. lol
Roger McGuinn has been around the block enough times to call himself anything he wants ;). And hell yes, he's both an audio engineer and a producer, along with being one of the most legendary folk/rock/pop musicians of the last half century.

Yet another example of why the phrase "home recording" has more than just the obvious meaning these days; pros are moving out of big box studios and into their own home studios. "Home recording" means much more than just some student with an SM57 and a Firepod (though it can mean that too).

G.

I guess the answer for me is when you have the knowledge and experience to get the sound both you and the customer like.

Nice advertising filled with a plenty of half-truths.
Actually, for Roger, they're not half-truths. For what he's doing, it's an ideal solution for him. I still consider him a guitarist first (and one of the best), but I'd say he's earned an engineering title. A few years ago, I re-mixed a song he recorded for an album I produced, and while I thought my final mix was better, all the tracks he recorded at his house were superb. He was using Symphony software at the time.

I guess that as long as there is a rig for you to run and you have recorded somebody you get to call yourself that...even though some of you may be using that term loosely...lol.

Back