at 4060 and mxl v69 mogami??

Hmmm. Let's see . . . other than the Audio Technica sounding really good, smooth, professional, etc. and the Marshall like a cheap, harsh Chinese budget condenser with a toob in it, I'd say they're just about identical.

Of course, what Chessrock didn't say is you can get a new V69 all over the place for $279-$299. The 4060 will run you $700 or higher.

I don't know that there is a $300 tube mic that Chessrock does like, except maybe the GT MS1B tube that was sold for that amount for a few days on musiciansfriend.com.

Many people have given the V69 the thumbs up FOR THE PRICE. Chess is not one of them, but his is far from the only educated opinion out there.

Not to dog you Chess, it's just that you despise most Marshalls. I've owned four models over time and they have done the job FOR ME, a humble home recordist. In fact, I just got the V69 - so maybe after I get to use it for awhile I'll share my impressions.

FWIW, and YMMV.

Fab

chess wrote a very favorable review of the mxl 603 mics for me. i thought it was a little too rah rah. i toned it down and it was till too rah rah for me but i ran it anyway. i think chess gets a bad rap for not being fair. i've just found he likes what he likes and doesn't apologize for it. he doesn't like to be a kiss up on shitty gear. i can live with that.

anyhow, let's see...

george massenburg uses the at4060. some people who can afford anything say audio-technica should sell it for $2,000.

i doubt you'll find anyone recording with both. they are different products with different end users.

You know Oz, I think it was Dusty over at Studio Forums who said something like : "Something's gotta suck," or "Everything can't be good."

Something to that effect. Anyway, I thought that was a pretty fitting statement, as it seems like everyone has to say good things about everything these days.

I mean can't something suck?

Now Fab was on to something when he mentioned the Groove Tubes MD1B. That one actually doesn't suck. That's a mighty nice piece of equipment. Strange that it doesn't seem to sell a whole lot or get recommended much on the boards. Ditto on the CAD mics. I guess people would rather load up on junk :D -- not my problem.

That is an interesting option, the cad VSM usually sells for under $600. Has a great sound but not near as cheap as the Marshall. Why do you want a Marshall again?
In His Name
Big Kenny

I suppose I could, but I still think the C1 is pretty useful. If you record a lot of different people and styles of music, it's a good idea to have at least one brighter mic on hand . . . so long as you have something flatter like an AT 4050 or similar to balance things out.

Obviously, if you're just recording yourself and you are your sole client, then I always say just get whatever works, even if it's something that Chessrock likes to dog on. :D Just use what works for ya. But don't assume you can get a thousand-dollar sound out of a $300 mic. An AT 4060 is a tremendous value at it's price point, and as Ozraves mentioned, can hang with mics twice it's price . . . to put things in proper perspective.

chessrock said:
Hmmm. Let's see . . . other than the Audio Technica sounding really good, smooth, professional, etc. and the Marshall like a cheap, harsh Chinese budget condenser with a toob in it, I'd say they're just about identical.
I like the way chessrock said the above. :D

Chessrock,

Excellent points, well stated. Thanks for expounding a bit on that first post. THIS is why I love this place - so much to learn.

I'm still looking for that magic mic for my own voice, which seems to need the kind of flattering boost that some of the Marshall LDCs I've tried - V67 and V77 in particular - give it.

Do you think an AT 4047 would be a solid option if I were looking to "trade up" for a main vocal mic?

Fab

I did a big band recording and used the V69 on bariton sax and the V77 on tenor sax, alongside of the Neumann on another tenor sax.

The V69 did a remarkable good job and so did the V77.

I will post a fragment of that recording on my website soon.

IMHO the V69 is better sounding than the SP C1 on most applications.

Thanks Han - partially on your recommendation I just got a V69 to go with my V77. Can't wait to try it out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 4047?

Fab

Fab4ever said:
Of course, what Chessrock didn't say is you can get a new V69 all over the place for $279-$299. The 4060 will run you $700 or higher.

Fab

The 4060 is some 1500 euro in a German shop (retail 1836 euro)
http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/englisch/index.htm

one euro is 1.19 dollar.

So, how can one compare a $1785 microphone to a $179 like the V69. Yes $179, I know someone who bought two V69's new for $179.

Han said:
how can one compare a $1785 microphone to a $179 like the V69.
That's what I've been wondering about for a long time... why do companies try to trick people into believing their cheap Chinese budget mics compare with top name brand mics? For example... the review comparing the C1 to the U87 that use to be on Studio Projects web page... and the same goes with Behringer, Marshall Electronics and etc... IMO, those cheap Chinese budgets mic don't compare with top name brand mics like Nuemann and etc and it's all just sales crap. Han, I think I remember you at one time trying to do pretty much the same thing with the B1... and now here you are asking "how can one compare a $1785 microphone to a $179 like the V6"... lol.

It's seems pretty easy to trick newbee's who are only looking at the price tag and have never heard any good mics with good preamps and monitors and etc... I know, because I too was once fooled. :(

Now don't get me wrong... there is a place for cheap Chinese budget mics and cheap budget gear in the home recording studio but we shouldn't confuse it with the equipment used in the real recording studios (and yes sometimes there are exceptions... but not many).

Last edited:
Han said:

IMHO the V69 is better sounding than the SP C1 on most applications.

Thats also been my experience...For the cash its a cool mic IMO..The 4060 is simply a better sounding mic to me..For short cash V69 is a good deal..One more opinon

Don

The 4060 is $929, or €775 or £523 in the US

You do realise we're being shafted, right Han?

Just to give you an idea of exactly how much we're being shafted by the 4060 costs £1,574 at Digital Village.

What about the at3060? I've always wondered how it compared to it's much more expensive brother the 4060. The 3060 is more within the price range of the v69, so if your comparing mxl to audio technica wouldn't it be more apropriate to use audio technica's budget tube mic for comparison?

chessrock said:

I mean can't something suck?

Actually, if you're looking for something that really sucks, the Roll-A-Hose sucks. I bought one last year and it sprang a hole in the hose within the first couple days of use. And this is not isolated and my experience is supported by these reviews on Epinions.

The new black and white peanut M&M's suck. They smell and taste like crayons. I'm writing the company to get my money back.

Having used around 200 audio products in the last year or so, the truth is it's pretty hard to find gear that actually sucks these days. It all works and it all sounds pretty good. But there are definite stand-outs in the pack at each price point. And that's the gear we recommend.

I think there's gear that is not suited for certain people, depending on their applications. There's obviously some gear that works better on some applications than others.

I think what often sucks is either the system as a whole - or some weakness in it - an individual user might have, or their inability to use it - or both.

A mic like the V69ME is a really good mic. I recommend it often. I reviewed the V69ME here. We've used that mic on many different kinds of recordings under very good conditions - in a good room with good mic pres and A/D converters - so we're able to isolate what the mic is doing. But that doesn't mean that the V69ME is not perfectly capable of being part of a sucky recording chain in someone's sucky room on their sucky system laying down sucky tracks for their sucky song.

Dan Richards
Studio Forums
The Listening Sessions
The Project Studio Handbook

Last edited:
Back