AT 4050/DMP 3 pre decision.

What would you recommend that is better in the same $150 -$200 price range? And for what application?
I'm not sure where you're getting that range. The DMP3 seems to be more of a $200-$300 range preamp. New, in the US. I was actually looking at getting an Art MPA Gold when the DMP3 showed up on craigslist. I felt and still feel that the variable impedence would benefit my mic better. With the DMP3(3K impedence), my AT4033a sounds kind of dark. Even though it's generally considered to be a bright mic. Don't get me wrong, I like the clarity I get with the DMP3 over my Mobile Pre or Art Tube MP. But it's still not a substitute for higher end preamps that seem to capture much more detail with the same mics.

I'm not sure where you're getting that range. The DMP3 seems to be more of a $200-$300 range preamp.

tdukex was actually making the same point you are to an earlier poster claiming you could do better than the dmp3 in it's own price range.

I'm not sure where you're getting that range. The DMP3 seems to be more of a $200-$300 range preamp. New, in the US. I was actually looking at getting an Art MPA Gold when the DMP3 showed up on craigslist. I felt and still feel that the variable impedence would benefit my mic better. With the DMP3(3K impedence), my AT4033a sounds kind of dark. Even though it's generally considered to be a bright mic. Don't get me wrong, I like the clarity I get with the DMP3 over my Mobile Pre or Art Tube MP. But it's still not a substitute for higher end preamps that seem to capture much more detail with the same mics.

You don't appear to have the slightest clue regarding the price range. And my experience with the DMP3 is exactly the opposite of yours--that is if you've actually compared it side-by-side to what you consider "higher-end" preamps.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you're getting that range. The DMP3 seems to be more of a $200-$300 range preamp. New, in the US. I was actually looking at getting an Art MPA Gold when the DMP3 showed up on craigslist. I felt and still feel that the variable impedence would benefit my mic better. With the DMP3(3K impedence), my AT4033a sounds kind of dark.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect a huge change from variable impedance on that mic. The 4033a has FET balanced output. The biggest change when adjusting input impedance comes from changing loading on microphones' output transformers, which that mic doesn't have.

The MSRP for the DMP3 is $249.95. Sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere. But if you're just a regular joe walking in off the street and buying one off the shelf, you'll likely end up paying MSRP, plus TAX.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/DMP3-main.html

Hard to get the MSRP for the Art MPA Gold, but google seems to think it's either $329, or $379. Often found for $299 from many places. Which is why I classified it in the same price range relatively speaking. One of my considerations when buying used off of craigslist is that it's at least a 50% off of MSRP deal.

I'm not expecting much difference between the MPA and DMP3. Which is why I haven't bothered getting both, or swapping one for the other. I am however looking at different mics. And better cables. And my BX8's (older versions) tend to be fairly dark monitors. The highs are a little weak from an EQ perspective. Despite that, my 4033a sounds better on Tuba and Bass Trombone, than Tenor Trombone, or Trumpet IMO.

I know that this isn't really what this thread is about, but I'm sorry, the DMP3 is consistently sold online for $160 (MSRP $199) while the MPA Gold sells for $260-$290 (MSRP $599) at any place with a fair price. Not only that, if you walk into any GC, Sam Ash, or other large store, you will get a similar price. If they don't give you the lower price right away, all you have to do is mention the price and you will get it. If you don't, walk out because you definitely can get it somewhere else.

I only mention this because I can't tell you how many auctions I've watched on ebay that have gone for about the same price as you would have had to pay to get the item at a store new, with a warranty. The lesson is do your homework - just googling isn't enough. You should at the least go to the big 3 online sites and find what the actual street price is. Then you can go on ebay and actually get a deal.

On a completely different note, if I were looking at these 2 pre's, the MPA Gold would have to be a significantly better sounding pre to my ears if I were going to pay an extra $100-$150 for it over the DMP3. Either that, or it would have to have a significantly better feature set. Just my 2 cents,

Juan

I'd actually like to believe that the Ordinary Joe is smart enough not to pay list price for anything.:D

I only mention this because I can't tell you how many auctions I've watched on ebay that have gone for about the same price as you would have had to pay to get the item at a store new, with a warranty. The lesson is do your homework - just googling isn't enough. You should at the least go to the big 3 online sites and find what the actual street price is. Then you can go on ebay and actually get a deal.

With Google's product search, that usually is enough. There are a few other sites I check if I really care about getting the lowest price, but about 95% of the time, Froogle ends up finding the cheapest prices out there.

Anybody beat $139 shipped? And as somebody else mentioned, according to the folks at J&R, the list is only $199.95. If you're paying $249.95, you're a sucker. :D

With Google's product search, that usually is enough. There are a few other sites I check if I really care about getting the lowest price, but about 95% of the time, Froogle ends up finding the cheapest prices out there.

Anybody beat $139 shipped? And as somebody else mentioned, according to the folks at J&R, the list is only $199.95. If you're paying $249.95, you're a sucker. :D
I stand corrected! :) Still, the idea is the same. Do your homework before you buy.

Back