AT 4050/DMP 3 pre decision.

Almy

Guitar Guy
I've been looking around for a work horse condenser for around $300-$400. After doing some research I'm thinking about spending a little more and getting an AT 4050 (instead of a 4040.)

Unfortunately that means I may need to back off on what I wanted to get with a preamp. I had wanted to get an FMR RNP. But if I do I would likely have to buy the 4040 instead. As a compromise I'm thinking about the 4050 with a DMP 3 pre. I really want to get a 2 channel pre for diversity otherwise I might have more options.

Not sure if my thinking is quite right. Any suggestions?

I have the DMP3 and really like it. I've used the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro, SPL Goldmike 9844 and Studio Projects VTB1 mic pres and prefer the DMP3. If I wanted to get a much better pre than the DMP3 I'd have to save up for quite a while before I get something significantly better!

I've been looking around for a work horse condenser for around $300-$400. After doing some research I'm thinking about spending a little more and getting an AT 4050 (instead of a 4040.)

Unfortunately that means I may need to back off on what I wanted to get with a preamp. I had wanted to get an FMR RNP. But if I do I would likely have to buy the 4040 instead. As a compromise I'm thinking about the 4050 with a DMP 3 pre. I really want to get a 2 channel pre for diversity otherwise I might have more options.

Not sure if my thinking is quite right. Any suggestions?

The DMP3 is a fine pre-amp. You will have to spend substatially more to beat it.

Shouldn't be too tough to find a used 4050 in the $300 - $400 range.

How about a couple of Rane MS-1Bs as preamps? These can be found for about $100 each and sound very very very good. Clean, but good.

I've heard the at4050 is the same as the 4040 but with more patterns.......I'm not sure if that is correct or not. But if you plan on just using cardioid, then it's worth looking into.

The DMP3 is a pretty sweet preamp. I've owned both a DMP3 and an RNP, there isn't a huge difference if I remember right. Don't quote me on that though, I had the DMP3 like 2 years ago.

FWIW, there was a blind preamp A vs Preamp B thread not too long ago where, after the majority had picked preamp B, it was revealed that preamp A was a RNP and preamp B was a DMP3. Now that doesn't mean the DMP3 is a better preamp, just that one group of people listening to one set of recordings of one guitar and one vocal in one room came out with the DMP3 sounding better.
I'd say the two preamps are very comparible, and that having two channels and a multi-pattern mic tips the scales decisively towards the 4050/DMP3 option.

By the way, the DMP3 is both a go to and a to go preamp for me. It's still my go to preamp for stereo micing acoustic instruments, and it's my to go preamp for stereo remotes. The rack pres stay in the rack.

I own both the 4050 and the RNP. I'm not blown away by either of them to be honest, but the DMP3 is def worth its weight if you want to spend the extra on a mic.

I have the DMP3 and an AT4033a. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get the 4040, too much like the 4033. I thought about going with a 4050, BUT.... the KSM44 and sE Electronics TITAN seem like better options to me. Although I'll probably get a ribbon mic first. Or just skip to the Titan. From what I hear of the AT 40xx series, they're more flattering than honest.

As a brass player, I'm leaning more towards an honest mic. But that's just me. I could care less if I sound like a fog horn, or shirley temple. But I want my Trombone to sound like a Trombone.

As far as the DMP3, you could probably do better in the same price range. But you'd have to go up a price level or three to do noticeably better to the average person.

I got my AT4033a for under $250 used. And my DMP3 for $120 used. Both from my local craigslist. It may not be the last gear I ever buy, but I'm happy with my investment. Or at least satisfied that I could get most, if not all of my investment back when/if I sell it. And not have to wait around for 8 months for it to sell to someone with money to buy it.

As far as the DMP3, you could probably do better in the same price range. But you'd have to go up a price level or three to do noticeably better to the average person.QUOTE]

Chalk me up as another mere mortal, average person recommending the DMP3. An AT4050 could be pretty nice as well. (even if it is dishonest) BTW, if a mic wants to make me sound better than I am.... It's OK with me. :) Funny stuff, the shadow knows. ;)

Hi Dickiefunk

is the DMP 3 better then the focusrite as i have a Focusrite twintrak pro, As i see from your entry you feel it is better.

You know I have been thinking and pondering for a while whether to get the DMP 3. Is that the M Audio DMP 3?

Dave

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I'm not too far off with my thought process. I'll take a look at the other pre-amps before I make a final decision.

I've also thought about just ordering the 4050 and waiting on the pre. I could technically get by with my mixer's built in pre's. Just seemed like a good time to get myself into a budget pre. Sounds like the dmp3 for the price is hard to beat without spending a lot more money.

As far as the DMP3, you could probably do better in the same price range. But you'd have to go up a price level or three to do noticeably better to the average person.

What would you recommend that is better in the same $150 -$200 price range? And for what application?

I still choose my DMP3 over my $1300 Sebatron for most solo acou guit work. I also used to choose it over my $600 Meek VC1Qcs (which I sold after getting the Seb).

I personally would go with the 4050 and the DMP3. A multi pattern mic like the 4050 gives you many more recording/soundscape options. Then I'd save money for a more colored pre, still keeping the DMP3 for my clean pre...wait, that's exactly what I did.:D

DMP3 gets pretty high marks around here for a budget pre.

The mic is going to make a much bigger impact imo.

I recently recorded a choir with a stereo pair of AT4050's and a DMP3 as the pre, and it turned out excellent! Not sure what you plan to be recording but I think this combo will make a nice and clean sound for whatever you want to record.

Hi Dickiefunk

is the DMP 3 better then the focusrite as i have a Focusrite twintrak pro, As i see from your entry you feel it is better.

You know I have been thinking and pondering for a while whether to get the DMP 3. Is that the M Audio DMP 3?

Dave

Hi Mr Blues

I'm not saying the Focusrite Trackmaster pro is a bad preamp. I got some decent results with it. However the Trakmaster pro costs £159.99 for one channel and my DMP3 cost £99 for 2 channels.
The DMP3 sounded more transparent to me and a fraction less noisy.
At the end of the day personal taste plays a big part in choosing mics, preamps etc. I really dig the DMP3 and chose to save the £60 and put it towards mics. Some may prefer the features the Trakmaster has or the sound so if possible try and check them out before you buy.

I still choose my DMP3 over my $1300 Sebatron for most solo acou guit work. I also used to choose it over my $600 Meek VC1Qcs (which I sold after getting the Seb).

Then I'd save money for a more colored pre, still keeping the DMP3 for my clean pre...wait, that's exactly what I did.:D

Couldn't agree more.

Well just as an update. I was able to find a used KSM44 for a very reasonable price. I'm going to buy that instead of the AT 4050. I'll probably still eventually get the dmp3. Even though the 44 deserves a better pre, I know for sure I can always take advantage of the dmp3 for other things.

When I get the KSM44 in I'll probably come back here and bump this post. It will be my first 'nicer' mic. So I'm really looking forward to testing it out.

Back