As Good As A Neumann But Cheaper

Well its been a long time since 2003

The microphones have now become the biggest selling ones and respected out of China

any guesses?

OK Se electronics

Been thinking about this. Just to show you're even more full of shit...

It's actually sE electronics.

Dumbass.

Damn! All we need now is good old DJL to put the smackdown on PMI and we'll have a real old-timer's ball!

:D

there's still ALOT to be siad for the N-word.

I think they are the company everyone tries to replicate. Let's not forget the whole Gefell/Telefunken things as well.

I don't know the whole story or correct story but I've heard many stories stating that nueman spawned, Gefell, AKG, Sennheiser, and telefunken was their products rebranded.

Also the Blue/Violet/Red lines are very nuemann-ish...

Maybe someone has the correct story

Not...but by now Im suprised you are not calling me Chinese:rolleyes:

I dont know what that's about. Its just lately, with the chintzy, easily stripped (when threaded in the first place) type of quality from the majors lately, Im assuming they're cheaply made.

I've gutted many a chinese mic of far higher quality construction than what you'd find on a TLM 193 for instance. When my 414 broke, its grille brace was made out of pot metal.

109114221146makeagrownm.png

Well...it still doesnt make china thier country of orgin...I used to have a C414 and I really stopped being impressed with it after getting a KSM44.
The chinese mics I had were not built as well and sometimes had a rattle in them...My shures and AudioTechnicas are way different...they hold thier value too....and a top of the line Shure or AT mic is better than a bottom of the line Neumann...I have more of a love/hate thing with the AKGs Ive owned.

Ok I did not read the WHOLE thread but it was very entertaining watching Bunyip get dissed on, accused of shit and most people jumping on the lets beat on Bunyip bandwagon ...The dude came to spread what he thought was great "tip" and got whipped upon...
19 years later Se is kind of big deal in the microphone manufacturing world today. Dude got a pretty good thrashing here and quit coming... I guess they are not that terrible of a company after all.

1674696169604.png

Last edited:
I read the early part of the thread and the "Chinese trash" thing was very typical. The problem is that it's not very accurate. Just like anywhere, the Chinese can make excellent products and they can make complete junk. It would be like saying that all European cars are great. Anyone still drive around in a Yugo?

I worked with some chemical manufacturing companies in China, Japan and Korea. Our company had a facility is China that we got from buying a division of BASF. The plant was designed by BASF engineers. They made products that were every bit as good as the German division, in a few cases, better. Some other Chinese companies couldn't make an acceptable product no matter how hard they tried. Some were like a family run business in a run down tin shed. The lack of regulation was key. Most South Korean and Japanese companies did excellent work. Several Japanese companies built plants in China because a) they had the space and b) they worked cheaply. Products were built to spec. Foxconn has been Apple's biggest OEM and most the manufacturing is done on mainland China, although Foxconn is technically a Taiwan based company. I don't hear people saying that I-phones are junk.

One big issue with China made products is that there seems to be little regard for ethics. They have no problem selling fake products, stealing trademarks and copyrights for anything. I don't know if it is a cultural thing or not, but it has been apparent for a long time. I don't see it as much from Taiwan as from mainland China. But I don't think these are the big companies doing this. They will build whatever quality product you want as OEM or make their own brands. Folks like sE and 797 don't need to fake it. But it's easy to set up a company and make knock off products and lots of places to sell them now with places like Alibaba. I'm sure the Chinese government doesn't care. People are bringing in dollars and euros to the economy and it keeps people employed.

Who knows what the landscape will be 20 years from now (the first posts by Bunyip was that long ago). Everything might be made in Malaysia, or Vietnam or Indonesia.

Back